Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Salah was apparently second choice at Liverpool, as was Kulsevski for us, and Son. Shit happens.

I will say though that I don't think he's a "conte wingback" like people are saying. A Conte WB has to have either great delivery into the box (trippier) or really good at scoring (doherty). Spence's supposed traits don't fit that mould.
Not many of Conte's wingbacks have great delivery. Peresic probably has the best delivery into the box that he has worked with from Chelsea on wards and wouldn't describe it as great.

Wingbacks in Conte's system tend to run/dribble to the byline and play cut backs, rather than crossing (Spence is good at this).

It’s definitely saying you have to prove yourself.

I honestly think other than Kane, Son, and Lloris, who all three are guaranteed starters, every position is open. That’s why Conte wanted so many reinforcements. To make players up their game and fight for the spots left.
Plus, he needs the equivalent of two strong elevens (unlike last year), if he wants the team to make significant progress on all fronts this season.

Will he add another proven striker during this window, to spread the load for the front 3, a bit? I hope so.

If I were Spence I’d be relieved at the quote.

He’ll be with Spurs longer than Conte, it’s good to know the club value him longterm and won’t look to ship him out once Conte leaves.

And Conte is unlikely to be with spurs past the 2023/24 season.

Also, Danny was that Danny a very limited timeframe of his entire career.

For a ambitious and science-focussed club, a study in both the rise and fall of people like Danny would be very interesting.
That would be hard to replicate, as Poch is no longer with the club. Danny was only one of a few that made a mistake or had a short-lived poor run of form, and were made a pariah by Poch, which in turn damaged their careers. I can't say for sure that Danny would be a much better player than he is, had that not happened to him, but we will never know.

That would be hard to replicate, as Poch is no longer with the club. Danny was only one of a few that made a mistake or had a short-lived poor run of form, and were made a pariah by Poch, which in turn damaged their careers. I can't say for sure that Danny would be a much better player than he is, had that not happened to him, but we will never know.

Poch made him what he was, and he wasn't the only player to benefit from that, on our top level team under Poch.

Walker, Dier, Dele, the list goes on.

I really cannot understand our thinking on RWB. At the end of last season it was the position many of us highlighted as a weakness. We have made major improvements elsewhere but only bought a young promising player at RWB. Now we learn it was a club decision and not Conte's buy. I have no clue who will start at RWB for the first PL match but doubt it will be Spence. He will have to impress in training and when he finally gets his chance but I just cannot see Conte starting him for the first match. Doherty, Emerson or even Moura will start but that does not mean he will not prove a good buy but he will have to wait his opportunity and hopefully his chances will be better than Rodon's were.

I really cannot understand our thinking on RWB. At the end of last season it was the position many of us highlighted as a weakness. We have made major improvements elsewhere but only bought a young promising player at RWB. Now we learn it was a club decision and not Conte's buy. I have no clue who will start at RWB for the first PL match but doubt it will be Spence. He will have to impress in training and when he finally gets his chance but I just cannot see Conte starting him for the first match. Doherty, Emerson or even Moura will start but that does not mean he will not prove a good buy but he will have to wait his opportunity and hopefully his chances will be better than Rodon's were.
Since selling Walker we bought Aurier, Doherty, Emerson. If there aren't obvious elite RWBs available, maybe going back to young English talent isn't the worst idea.

Nonsense.

Rose made a pariah of himself.

Last edited:

Who should we have signed then.......?

"Club decision"

Conte: "I want a new RB"
Fab: "There's no ready made stars out there"
Conte: "But I must have someone"
Fab: "OK, well how about this approach then..... Young and coach-able.... Myself & the club are always keen to invest in such players... The scouts are buzzing about him"
Conte: "OK..... Why not... Let's give him a try."

That's likely all that went down here, but the trauma vultures will by their very nature be circling; baying for Levy's blood.

Also, Danny was that Danny a very limited timeframe of his entire career.

For a ambitious and science-focussed club, a study in both the rise and fall of people like Danny would be very interesting.

Injury broke him physically and the time on the sidelines got to him mentally..... Couldn't resist having digs at us even after Poch forgave DR for shitting on us and him in The Sun..... Then clashed with Jose.

Game over.

Last edited:
Hmmm. First cracks starting to appear?

:contetellmemore:

We've been down this well trodden path before. Slightly concerning 😟
The 'club' also includes Paratici, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. We need home-grown players and he's considered a rising star. It's a sensible signing and if he turns out to be good for us it's only going to increase Conte's faith in the club.

The 'club' also includes Paratici, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. We need home-grown players and he's considered a rising star. It's a sensible signing and if he turns out to be good for us it's only going to increase Conte's faith in the club.
Hope you're right, obviously.

Would have been more reassuring if Conte had shown a little more enthusiasm rather than the half hearted acceptance on show.

Smacks of Mourinho/Rodon and Poch/Clarke though.

Time will tell, I guess

:dierpochhug:

Back
Top Bottom