Do we appeal to foreign markets?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've focussed on South Africa and America rather than Asia - Mabizela, Piennar, Khumalo, Friedel, Dempsey, Investec and countless tours of both countries.............just a shame none of the players bar Friedel have actually warranted inclusion in the first team yet.

The quick short term fix to getting exposure in Asia is Beckham.....

Spurs are on the rise in Sweden as well. Once we beat Zlatan's Milan in the CL I started noticing more and more Spurs gear being worn in public... (fucking bandwagoners! Where were they when we were shit?! :carrollwtf:).

The land is swamped with plastic gooners though.. Can't stand 'em. They don't even know why we call them Woolwich :avbfacepalm:

I think the best market for building a solid foreign fan base is most likely the US and Canada (or at least we are the fans you want....

NBC just bought all the rights to EPL games next season...nearly quadrupling viewership from Fox Soccer. I agree with some of the other posts above...there is alot of fan focus on Man U, Chelsea, and Woolwich and Shitpool. Given that most US fans have no geographical attachment to a team, its very easy for us to jump on the bandwagon. I frequent the pub with about 4 other Spurs fans, two of us got into it because of :brad: and got hooked. The other two primarily because they hate bandwagoners and chose the team most likely to enter into an era of dominance....basically you gotta target the non-cunts.

You also want US and Canada because we are the more likely demographic to buy the merch and go see a game when the opportunity arises. Having more of the off season in the US would be huge...or they can just go to Demps' house in Texas for some bass fishing, mexican, and bbq. :avblol:

Big-name signings will also help, as will the signing of Korean/Russian/Japanese players.

tottenham-hotspur-kazuyuki-toda-546-merlin-s-f.a.-premier-league-04-autograph-edition-sticker-53009-p.jpg

I frequent the pub with about 4 other Spurs fans, two of us got into it because of :brad: and got hooked. The other two primarily because they hate bandwagoners and chose the team most likely to enter into an era of dominance....basically you gotta target the non-cunts.

Where you from man? Keep spreading the good word!

There are about 15-20 hardcore Spurs fans in Saint Louis that I know of based on watching games in a little pub on the South Side. One of 'em is over for the Liverpool game today, hope he gets another good result as he was at the Spammers match on Sunday as well. Lucky bastard.

We're better than the other American fans of Premier League teams and I speak based on years of personal experience. You should have SEEN the sad gooner bastards in Baltimore and the ones I've met occasionally in Saint Louis. I'm positive they were all born next to a nuclear reactor. To be fair there are some decent fans of other teams over here but the majority are bandwagon jumpers. All the Tottenham supporters I've met around the US fell in love with Spurs for the right reasons and are genuinely decent people. Literally to a woman/man, good people.

Would we rather have a billion bandwagon fans or a million good ones? Is it just about replica shirt sales? I'm sure ENIC are happy I've bought some products of theirs down the years, but we are not Manchester United or Chelsea. Despite the lack of trophies I'm rather proud of this and it definitely had a part to play in me starting to follow Spurs back in 2004.

Tell me more.

To be honest, I only signed up for Spurs Canada this year, since I just discovered it. But from what there website can tell (still waiting for membership card and stuff) there are six official chapters in Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and Aurora. Basically there are chapters in major cities from Quebec out west. Nothing where I am though. I'm just finally happy that I stumbled across this supporters club and hopefully it lets me get in touch with people in my region of the country. Instead of lonely, early mornings in front of my computer or tv.

This is the link to their website: http://spurscanada.ca/coys/

I've brought on 4 of my mates as Tottenham fans in Australia. I think i've done my bit :)

seriously though, what I love about our club is that we are one of the 'underdogs' and that we're not one of the marketable Top 4. It makes me sick how many cunts wear liverpool, man u or chelski tops and dont know the first thing about their club.

At least we know people who have chosen Tottenham have done so for a reason other then the perceived size or success, or because "everyone else follows them" and those are the supporters that will be around for the long haul and those are the supporters you want.

I can only identify about 3 Spurs fans apart from me in the school I went to, and one of them used to live in London. Other than that, everyone else support either Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool or Man City. We Malaysians are really good at bandwagoning.

Issues that people may have

It may be said that this will mean we will loose our character, make us a sell-out team etc. but do we want success from our club?
Are these sacrifices we would be willing to make to bring more money, better players and a higher level of success?
Discuss.

I'm really not that bothered about success, that's never been what Spurs is about for me. It's probably why I feel further away from the club than I have ever done before. To win the league now does take a "selling out" aspect.
I heard a Chelsea fan the other day saying how great it is they sack managers so often because the trophy haul shows that its the right thing to do. Is that where we want Spurs to be? Where does it stop?

When I look at the teams who have won the league in the last 10 years I feel no jealousy, Man City and Chelsea both bought their trophies and the only emotion I can say I have for them is disdain. I don't actually mind Utd's success, they grew into it, now they are being royally screwed by their owners because of it.

I would rather the club grow organically at a local level. I don't mind glory hunting fans jumping on the bandwagon and Spurs being the hot ticket in town, but I would rather see young Spurs juniors getting heavily discounted tickets to games. Surely in the long term they are more important than somebody who may come to the Lane 10 times in their lifetime of maybe even just once. Why give them a cheaper ticket?

The 1 fan who will support Spurs for ever and then bring the next generation as well are worth 10 of the fans who are just as likely to be wearing a Chelsea top in 10 years when they are flavour of the month.

Traveling through Asia I was surprised how few people even knew who Spurs were, it really is Liverpool and Man U over there with Chelsea and Woolwich next.

I was thinking about this the other day actually, after the horrible Rome/Lazio incidents, do a lot of foreign people see us as simply a Jewish club? It just struck me that people might actually look at us like that.

We do have a large fanbase abroad, but just not as big as Man United, Woolwich, Liverpool or Chelsea. When I was in Rome, in one of the sports shops they had one rack for Spurs tops and about 6 or 7 just for Woolwich. Shows what a few league titles and regular Champions League appearances does for a club.

Traveling through Asia I was surprised how few people even knew who Spurs were, it really is Liverpool and Man U over there with Chelsea and Woolwich next.

I was thinking about this the other day actually, after the horrible Rome/Lazio incidents, do a lot of foreign people see us as simply a Jewish club? It just struck me that people might actually look at us like that.

At least not here in Sweden/Scandinavia. I'd say most people don't know about it. Papers and websites writing about this weeks events gives a short background story, other than that it is never mentioned.

I agree that the following here is growing. We have been following english football for decades, but I think interest has increased even more the last couple of years. The swedish supporterclub is growing every year too. And the CL brought in a lot more younger fans.

I live in Cincinnati Ohio. And id say we have a pretty decent amount of spurs supporters. Iv definetly tried to do my part bringing people in.
I see lots of man u, liverpool, and woolwich. but hardly ever any chelsea.
I went to the freindly in baltimore and we were probally outnumbered 4 to 1 by liverpool. But we more then made up for it with passion.

Back
Top Bottom