Do we appeal to foreign markets?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I live in Cincinnati Ohio. And id say we have a pretty decent amount of spurs supporters. Iv definetly tried to do my part bringing people in.
I see lots of man u, liverpool, and woolwich. but hardly ever any chelsea.
I went to the freindly in baltimore and we were probally outnumbered 4 to 1 by liverpool. But we more then made up for it with passion.

I would concentrate on trying to get kids in London supporting Spurs over Liverpool, Man Utd and now Man City....as well as the obvious competition

I would concentrate on trying to get kids in London supporting Spurs over Liverpool, Man Utd and now Man City....as well as the obvious competition

Valid point, off topic, but I believe 'Skepta' is a Spurs fan - He's pretty big in London and across the UK with the youth. LISTEN FROM 1 MINUTE 30 SECONDS - He mentions WHL etc.

I wouldn't be so sure any more tbh.

Do you have anything to back this up.

For a start, we have a waiting list of 35 000 for a season ticket(I know that a lot of those 35k won't take up the offer, but still). Chelsea hardly got a waiting list at all as far as I know. Also they had crowds of 6-7k in the late 80's/early 90's

I think the best market for building a solid foreign fan base is most likely the US and Canada (or at least we are the fans you want....

NBC just bought all the rights to EPL games next season...nearly quadrupling viewership from Fox Soccer. I agree with some of the other posts above...there is alot of fan focus on Man U, Chelsea, and Woolwich and Shitpool. Given that most US fans have no geographical attachment to a team, its very easy for us to jump on the bandwagon. I frequent the pub with about 4 other Spurs fans, two of us got into it because of :brad: and got hooked. The other two primarily because they hate bandwagoners and chose the team most likely to enter into an era of dominance....basically you gotta target the non-cunts.

You also want US and Canada because we are the more likely demographic to buy the merch and go see a game when the opportunity arises. Having more of the off season in the US would be huge...or they can just go to Demps' house in Texas for some bass fishing, mexican, and bbq. :avblol:

ERMAGERD! No foreign Spurs fans!

Wait a sec... :gallashmm:

edit: But yea, NBC buying the EPL broadcasting rights was a massive surprise. I still think NBC are cunts, but they'll bring greater visibility to the sport in the US. European football will always be a niche following though I think. It's going to be difficult to convince droves of Americans to get up on their days off over the weekend, at 7 in the morning or so, god forbid you live on the West Coast.

I'm from Singapore and we're a decent sized lot over here. Still, United, Liverpool and Woolwich are the big 3, and Chelsea might just pip us because of their recent success. There are plenty of gloryhunters here, though, and I expect more of the young ones to start following City.

We have all seen the success stories of Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid alike, all accessing those huge foreign markets (China, Thailand, Russia, Malaysia etc.).

About 35-40% of my friendship group are foreign, yet only two (brothers) support Spurs. The rest support Man Utd, Chelski, Woolwich, Liverpool (the historic 'Top Four' - I can call it historic now, right?).
Despite our 'lack' of success, why have we not managed to appeal to these foreign countries?

<...>

I believe:
  • We should do more tours in Asia (where these emerging football fan markets seem to be), like many of the previously mentioned teams have.
<...>

I'm pretty sure that more than half of the fan base of the clubs you mention are glory hunters.
Doing tours in Asia is fun and stuff, but to attract more fans, Tottenham should start winning things.

Big-name signings will also help, as will the signing of Korean/Russian/Japanese players.

Big-name signings will also help, as will the signing of Korean/Russian/Japanese players.

tottenham-hotspur-kazuyuki-toda-546-merlin-s-f.a.-premier-league-04-autograph-edition-sticker-53009-p.jpg

ERMAGERD! No foreign Spurs fans!

Wait a sec... :gallashmm:

edit: But yea, NBC buying the EPL broadcasting rights was a massive surprise. I still think NBC are cunts, but they'll bring greater visibility to the sport in the US. European football will always be a niche following though I think. It's going to be difficult to convince droves of Americans to get up on their days off over the weekend, at 7 in the morning or so, god forbid you live on the West Coast.

Agreed...won't be a problem for me...but on a brighter note..think of the kids that are up on saturday morning? Get em while they're young :adegrin2:

Valid point, off topic, but I believe 'Skepta' is a Spurs fan - He's pretty big in London and across the UK with the youth. LISTEN FROM 1 MINUTE 30 SECONDS - He mentions WHL etc.

Skepta loves Tottenham as in the area. Not just the football club. Loads of 'Grime Artists' are from Tottenham love the area, but support Woolwich.

Back
Top Bottom