Do we lack a worldie?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Recent performances by Liverpool and Woolwich have cemented in my mind at least the importance of having a world class player in your team, e.g. Suarez and ozil.

It's not just these two teams though, barca have messi, real have Ronaldo, bayern have ribery, psg have ibra, athletico have costa, monarco have falcao, man utd have Rooney/RVP, man city have ageuro etc...

At the risk of opening up old wounds was selling bale/ not buying a replacement worldie intelligent?Considering our team this season seems to lack/really need that X factor?

Many on this forum during the summer window saw the bale sale plus influx of potential world class talent a good thing (given the $$$ we got for him) and I'm inclined to agree.

I just however woke up this morning and wondered what if we'd kept bale and bought soldado, eriksen and paulinho (roughly the amount of $$$ Lewis had apparently loaned us)

Now I no bale wanted to leave etc etc but should we have gone after a more established player as a replacement( no disrespect to lamela )...

Do we need a worldie?

I think to win the prem you need one.
Buti don't think finishing first this year is our target.
We have enough to win the other comps and enough to finish third or fourth.
Hopefully then we can attract a worldwide or develop one - Lamela, Erikson, Holtby, Townsend...they could all become that in time.

We did the best thing possible. Looking back I don't really think keeping Bale was an option. We bought and acted as a team that can't compete with other teams financially. This was smart, because we can't compete with other teams financially. If we attempted to force Bale to stay or bought a player for a ridiculous fee (50m) it wouldn't have been smart. We addressed our squad problems and set us to have 2-3 brilliant players in a few years.

Lamela will be our worldie. Just give it time
I think he has the potential to be one no doubt, but there's plenty of examples of buying players young and them not living up to their potential...I wouldn't be questioning it as much as I am if we hadn't spent 30 million buying him...for that $$$ we could have got someone more established...of course if he turns out to a worldie (I hope he does) I'll eat my own words but there's has been much discussion on this forum about our playing style and I think this is one of the missing ingredients...

We did the best thing possible. Looking back I don't really think keeping Bale was an option. We bought and acted as a team that can't compete with other teams financially. This was smart, because we can't compete with other teams financially. If we attempted to force Bale to stay or bought a player for a ridiculous fee (50m) it wouldn't have been smart. We addressed our squad problems and set us to have 2-3 brilliant players in a few years.

Good points. It was right to sell Bale at that price, as it was to sell Berbs and Luka. We're talking something like £120m profit (minus agent fees, etc). We also got excellent service from all three of them.

Of course for success stories like that, there's a Bentley and a Rebrov to go against that profit.

Overall though, our trading under ENIC has been good. It would be great if we could keep our best players, but we need to do better to convince them to stay. I think, given the lack of a billionaire benefactor, the only way realistically possible to break the cycle is the new stadium. In the meantime I would be happy for us to win a trophy, and stay in the top 6. Top 4 and a trophy would be dream time - but in the foreseeable future, for us to do both in one season, that would be some overachievement.

One thing that pisses me off about worldies is that they don't tend to stay too long at our club; maybe we will never be able to compete with the likes of Real or Barcelona, but it would sure be nice to have a world class player that was loyal to the club and led us to glory.

Good points. It was right to sell Bale at that price, as it was to sell Berbs and Luka. We're talking something like £120m profit (minus agent fees, etc). We also got excellent service from all three of them.

I don't think i expressed my views well on the Bale thing. I think Bale and Modric were sold for two different reasons. Bale because simply we couldn't hold onto him when the money we could get for him would put us into the position we currently are in. Modric because simply he was a cunt. Bale, imo, went for 20-30m above his value. Modric went for 5-10m under his value, imo.

Sooo, if I get you right ... you're asking if we lack a player that could fit in any team in the world and is renowned even on the international stage?

... .:llorishuh:.....

Sooo, if I get you right ... you're asking if we lack a player that could fit in any team in the world and is renowned even on the international stage?

No. We have atleast two of those - Lloris and Vertonghen. He wants a player that you described but on offense. Personally, I think any of Lamela, Townsend, Holtby, Eriksen, Soldado, and arguably Ade could fit this. Lamela, Townsend, Holtby, Eriksen, and Holtby are all players that could be this in a few years. Ade and Soldado could possibly be this year.

I think both these players are world class however not sure defensive type players r going to win you the prem (though they help)..plus having world class offensive players can hide shit defences (Barcelona)..
We're not going to win the Prem, IMHO, not this season or in the foreseeable future. It still doesn't stop Hugo being world class, as it didn't stop Bale before him. We don't have the money to win the Prem, for me it's that simple.

We're about the 6th biggest club in terms of income/wealth. To manage to finish above the five bigger ones all in one season is just unrealistic, for me anyway. One of them will slip, yep. Two possibly, three at a push, but all five, can't see it.

I don't think i expressed my views well on the Bale thing. I think Bale and Modric were sold for two different reasons. Bale because simply we couldn't hold onto him when the money we could get for him would put us into the position we currently are in. Modric because simply he was a cunt. Bale, imo, went for 20-30m above his value. Modric went for 5-10m under his value, imo.
Well each to their own opinion. I think Berbs, Luka, and Modric were all sold for the same reason. They wanted out, they made it clear they wanted out. Someone paid us enough to make it worth our while.

We might have got more for Luka, but as you we could have got less for Bale, and I'd add Berbs.

What is undeniably true is we got wayyyyyyyyy more overall than the amounts the press were talking about at the start of each saga. They showed up their lack of knowledge on football finances and Spurs way of doing business big-time on those transfers overall.

My point is we do lack an offensive worldie and this is potentially one of the reasons were not playing as good as say Liverpool who have a shitter first 11 but have Suarez.. I no these players are a dime a dozen but we had one bale who we sold to play fifa football manager... Now this could pay off in the long run...only time will tell but by not buying a replacement worldie we may have sacrificed the next few seasons.. Good if it works but if he doesn't levy and co r going to look like right dumb cunts..

No. We have atleast two of those - Lloris and Vertonghen. He wants a player that you described but on offense. Personally, I think any of Lamela, Townsend, Holtby, Eriksen, Soldado, and arguably Ade could fit this. Lamela, Townsend, Holtby, Eriksen, and Holtby are all players that could be this in a few years. Ade and Soldado could possibly be this year.
Nahhh.
There's definitely potential of more worldies to be in our team but, I think that currently, as of now, we have one established worldie, i.e. Hugo Lloris.

I really love Super-Jan, and do believe he can fit straight away in most teams in this world, but...
I just feel that he needs just a tiny-weeny bit more time/experience to actually be considered a worldie.

And @ OZHotspur OZHotspur ... I get what you are saying. It makes sense why we are doing so well defensibly and not doing what we like offensively. Let's just hope this situation solves itself soon, but in reality it may take a bit more time. In any case, as long as we have a solid team unit as a whole, that should hopefully make up for this in the time being.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom