Do we lack a worldie?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mate besides the goal Friedal wasn't that bad...
There's not too many keepers in the world that would have saved that, let alone any backup keeper...
Lb is a srs concern though

Yeah I don't really mean today, i agree the goal was more a midfield error. I just think in general Brad is past it.

Yup, left back sucks. I never thought we would miss rose or even ekotto that bad.

Totally agree that Hugo and Jan are our worldies, which means they will be prime candidates to be on Madrid's shopping list come the summer! I'm not sure if he Sandro would make the cut, but he is so vital for us, and if he flies under the radar as a worldie, all the better for us, it may mean we can keep him. And I also think that Erik has the potential to become one in time.

I don't think Real will come in for Lloris or Vertonghen. I'm scared because Barca will cone in for both and won't be willing to pay that much more than they are worth.

I don't think Real will come in for Lloris or Vertonghen. I'm scared because Barca will cone in for both and won't be willing to pay that much more than they are worth.
I cant see Levy letting them leave anytime soon...Now I no they could hand in a transfer request but suarez did that and look at how that turned out..
Whilst I agree that we had to let bale go, its more because of the $$$ rather than him wanting to...
Im sick of diva football players and their agents having a winge and sook and thinking clubs should let them go... fuck them, they signed a contract...sometimes clubs need to make an example of a player so the rest of the squad dont do that as a default option...what kind of example has levy and co set?

Yeah I don't really mean today, i agree the goal was more a midfield error. I just think in general Brad is past it.

Yup, left back sucks. I never thought we would miss rose or even ekotto that bad.
Brad is past it but who could we buy? who would come that was any good to play second fiddle to lloris?
I see your point but fixing the problem might be alot harder..is jordan archer any good?

Brad is past it but who could we buy? who would come that was any good to play second fiddle to lloris?
I see your point but fixing the problem might be alot harder..is jordan archer any good?

I have no idea about Archer. Very inexperienced that is all i know.

Alex smithies from Huddersfield is regarded highly. I just imagine as he is young and English his fee wouldn't be justified. But if we shift both Brad and Gomes that must be near 100k off the wage bill?

Meh, it is a difficult one.

I have no idea about Archer. Very inexperienced that is all i know.

Alex smithies from Huddersfield is regarded highly. I just imagine as he is young and English his fee wouldn't be justified. But if we shift both Brad and Gomes that must be near 100k off the wage bill?

Meh, it is a difficult one.
yeh gomes is on quite abit the fucking flop...great shot stopper but cant catch a ball...

It's pretty hard to have a good backup goalkeeper...and I no every1 is blaming him for the goal, but our midfield giveaway for me remains the prime fuck up behind that goal.... A worldie between the goalpost def helps though....
It may be pretty hard to have a good back back up keeper but when was the last time one of the 'old big 4' plus City put out a 42 year old in a key Prem match. City had problems with Hart, they bring in that fellow whose name I can't spell, Papillon, I'll call him :) Woolwich had problems with Chesney, in comes Fabianski, are these 42 year olds? I don't think so. The really serious contenders just don't do things like we do. And to repeat I'm not blaming Brad, I'm blaming the club for being so ill-prepared.

Of course there are other reasons why we won't be winning the Prem in the foreseeable future, which I've already detailed in other posts in this thread and elsewhere. Here are some more reasons BTW, we needed a centre back in Harry's last season, so did Chelsea. We got Ryan Nelsen on a free, who Harry hardly played, Chelsea got Cahill. They won the FA Cup and CL, we came 4th and got fucked over. I could go on, the thing is time and again we are left short in vital positions, remember the striker debacle last season?

We just lack the money/vision/determination call it what you want to push through the 'glass ceiling'. We've seen it season after season, when we haven't pushed on when we had the chance. This season is heading the exact same way re the Prem. TBH as I've said before today, I don't get too hooked up on the mirage of 4th, let alone the complete fantasy of the title, because it all gets too frustrating. I'll take 6th and a trophy and think its a brilliant, fantastic season for us.

But us winning the Prem this decade, nah. We need a new stadium/new owners before I can start even thinking we're serious contenders.

For me the biggest game left this calendar year will be the QF v West Ham, that's when I want our best team out. A Wembley win and revenge on them that'll keep me happy all next summer :thumbup:

Last edited:
It may be pretty hard to have a good back back up keeper but when was the last time one of the 'old big 4' plus City put out a 42 year old in a key Prem match. City had problems with Hart, they bring in that fellow whose name I can't spell, Papillon, I'll call him :) Woolwich had problems with Chesney, in comes Fabianski, are these 42 year olds? I don't think so. The really serious contenders just don't do things like we do. And to repeat I'm not blaming Brad, I'm blaming the club for being so ill-prepared.

Of course there are other reasons why we won't be winning the Prem in the foreseeable future, which I've already detailed in other posts in this thread and elsewhere. Here are some more reasons BTW, we needed a centre back in Harry's last season, so did Chelsea. We got Ryan Nelsen on a free, who Harry hardly played, Chelsea got Cahill. They won the FA Cup and CL, we came 4th and got fucked over. I could go on, the thing is time and again we are left short in vital positions, remember the striker debacle last season?

We just lack the money/vision/determination call it what you want to push through the 'glass ceiling'. We've seen it season after season, when we haven't pushed on when we had the chance. This season is heading the exact same way re the Prem. TBH as I've said before today, I don't get too hooked up on the mirage of 4th, let alone the complete fantasy of the title, because it all gets too frustrating. I'll take 6th and a trophy and think its a brilliant, fantastic season for us.

But us winning the Prem this decade, nah. We need a new stadium/new owners before I can start even thinking we're serious contenders.

For me the biggest game left this calendar year will be the QF v West Ham, that's when I want our best team out. A Wembley win and revenge on them that'll keep me happy all next summer :thumbup:
tbh with have gomes who isnt 42 but i feel your point...
i think our recruitment of eriksen, lamela, soldado shows our ambition and a couple of years ago this may also have got us top 4 or above..however all the top teams have got better/or were already above us so yeh top 4 this year would be as a result of us playing above our potencial... i still stand by my comments that 1-2 big signings of established worldies could be the difference..whether they would come to tottenham is another thing...i like the strategy of consistently buying the next best thing but am worried when they finally reach their potencial we just become the on-sellers to the bigger clubs.. agree the new stadium may elevate us, but once built were going to then have to pay it off..

I guess we simply needed someone to bale us out yesterday . . .

your spelling is appalling, it's BAIL out...

Back to the point I was gonna make... yes we need a Worldie again, but not just ONE this time!
You don't wanna be relying on Bale to bail us out each time.... Oh...... I see @ ArcspacE ArcspacE

To truly compete, we need at least 3 or 4 world class players in the side...
In Lloris, and Vertonghen, and Sandro (on his day) I HONESTLY believe we have 3 of the world's best in their positions...
Hopefully, Eriksen can re-establish his form and prove what we saw in him, and Lamela has already shown glimpses...
we COULD be looking at a team of 4/5 World class players SOON... but not just yet.

I'm afraid today summed up why we won't be winning the Prem in the foreseeable future.

Playing a 42 year old in a vital Prem match, it's embarrassing. It's not Brad's fault of course, simply amateurish from the Club. Once more we failed to plug an obvious gap in our squad, this has been a disaster waiting to happen since the window closed, relying on Hugo to be there all the time to save us.
Hugo Lloris is quite frankly our best player. And without a solid back up, when he is missing we go from it vein strongest position to weakest in the blink of an eye. That shouldn't happen to a club like ourselves.

We left ourselves short at left back and keeper, and they have both been exploited.

Premier League Second Choice Goalies:

Lukasz Fabianski
Shay Given
Joe Lewis
Mark Schwarzer
Lewis Price
Joel Robles
David Stockdale
Steve Harper
Brad Jones
Costel Pantilimon
Anders Lindegaard
Rob Elliot
Mark Bunn
Kelvin Davis
Jack Butland
Vito Mannone
Gerhard Tremmel
Boaz Myhill
Steven Henderson

How many of those would you rather have than Brad? 3 or 4 at most I'm guessing? And look at who the other 'CL contenders' have... Chelsea have Schwarzer, he's 41. Fabianski is shite, Lindegaard and Pantilimon are unproven and I wouldn't want to have to rely on them, and Jones is OK at best. Having a great back-up goalie is a luxury that most teams do without. It's by far the least important role in a 25-man squad, and any decent back-up won't be happy sitting on the bench every game anyway - see why Liverpool loaned out Reina.

Yes, it's a shame we had to rely on Brad yesterday. But in the grand scheme of things, it's really not a big deal.

Premier League Second Choice Goalies:
Lukasz Fabianski
Shay Given
Joe Lewis
Mark Schwarzer
Lewis Price
Joel Robles
David Stockdale
Steve Harper
Brad Jones
Costel Pantilimon
Anders Lindegaard
Rob Elliot
Mark Bunn
Kelvin Davis
Jack Butland
Vito Mannone
Gerhard Tremmel
Boaz Myhill
Steven Henderson

How many of those would you rather have than Brad? 3 or 4 at most I'm guessing? And look at who the other 'CL contenders' have... Chelsea have Schwarzer, he's 41. Fabianski is shite, Lindegaard and Pantilimon are unproven and I wouldn't want to have to rely on them, and Jones is OK at best. Having a great back-up goalie is a luxury that most teams do without. It's by far the least important role in a 25-man squad, and any decent back-up won't be happy sitting on the bench every game anyway - see why Liverpool loaned out Reina.

Yes, it's a shame we had to rely on Brad yesterday. But in the grand scheme of things, it's really not a big deal.

For me it is more the fact that Lloris is so integral to our high line tactics that it becomes so much more noticeable when he isn't playing. It is not that Brad is not a good keeper. It is that he is the wrong kind of keeper.

Back
Top Bottom