Do you even go down the Lane anymore

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you even go down the Lane anymore?

• Total voters
100%
Model trains and fly-fishing are hobbies ... I don't know of one model train enthusiast whose weekend has been ruined 'cos his Hornby Inter City 125 didn't run on time!!

It palpably IS a hobby though. Those train enthusiasts who turn up at Crew station to watch a locomotive roll through on a Saturday. Having woken up at 0600 to get there on time would be as devastated as you would be having spurs lose a football game if the train was cancelled. The guy that loses an 8 pound trout just as he is about to land it and the line snaps. He will never forget it for his entire life.

Its the same thing. You just think football is cooler. You have pretty much the same level of influence in the outcome of your passion. None.

I remember us losing 5 1to Woolwinch In a carling cup match in extra time. It’s where they coined the song is there a fire drill as our fans left. I stayed to the very bitter ended because I cared about the players. I could see they were trying. I didn’t want them to be in their home stadium outnumbered by away fans. It was a magical end as the 5k of us left out sung the scum fans for 20 minutes. It confused the hell out of them.

This is different now. We are not fans. We are consumers. Marks to be rinsed in every way possible by a regime that are inept liars. Not worthy of our support .

Anyone with a brain can see Spurs are a joke club now. A banter club. I used to go to away games with a couple of anoraks. You sound like one of those.

No Offence intended. This is your passion. Your life. But excuse me if I see past the blind loyalty of ‘this is my one club, my only club’ bollocks.

You‘re not going to war. You’re paying to watch millionaires play football for a billionaire. For them all to earn money off your wages.

Don’t pretend you’re some sort of hero.

It palpably IS a hobby though. Those train enthusiasts who turn up at Crew station to watch a locomotive roll through on a Saturday. Having woken up at 0600 to get there on time would be as devastated as you would be having spurs lose a football game if the train was cancelled. The guy that loses an 8 pound trout just as he is about to land it and the line snaps. He will never forget it for his entire life.

Its the same thing. You just think football is cooler. You have pretty much the same level of influence in the outcome of your passion. None.

I remember us losing 5 1to Woolwinch In a carling cup match in extra time. It’s where they coined the song is there a fire drill as our fans left. I stayed to the very bitter ended because I cared about the players. I could see they were trying. I didn’t want them to be in their home stadium outnumbered by away fans. It was a magical end as the 5k of us left out sung the scum fans for 20 minutes. It confused the hell out of them.

This is different now. We are not fans. We are consumers. Marks to be rinsed in every way possible by a regime that are inept liars. Not worthy of our support .

Anyone with a brain can see Spurs are a joke club now. A banter club. I used to go to away games with a couple of anoraks. You sound like one of those.

No Offence intended. This is your passion. Your life. But excuse me if I see past the blind loyalty of ‘this is my one club, my only club’ bollocks.

You‘re not going to war. You’re paying to watch millionaires play football for a billionaire. For them all to earn money off your wages.

I totally get your point...
But the point I think I was trying to make is that I love THE CLUB.... TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR F.C. not necessarily the hierarchy who dictate the direction my club is going in...

...don't get me wrong, I fucking hate the shower if shit that 'REPRESENT' the club right now, from top to bottom... Purely because they're tarnishing my view of the club, and making me question my love for what is now just a 'brand'.... For that, I can never forgive them.

The old Sol Campbell banner was never truer than now:
"We hate you because we loved you!"

That's how I felt walking out of the ground yesterday.... I hate them BECAUSE of how they've now made me question 45+ years of loyalty... For what?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a football fan, but a realist. (and please don't confuse me with the anoraks you used to travel to away grounds with, I love it, but I don't 'live it'... But while we're at it.... if you had been on all those away days as you say, you'd know it's Crewe not 'Crew'!!
anyway, I digress with pettiness...

The comparison with the passionate Angler and a football fan is fair, but I guess the difference is the Angler CAN sometimes directly control his ability to catch a fish or not... a football fan (as we all know deep down) can have no effect on the outcome of a game...
Though having said that, I did once start a passionate Chorus of *When the Spurs go marching in" (slow version, obvs) at the Old WHL that culminated in us scoring as the song was in full flow....
For that brief moment, I thought I had directly contributed to us scoring a goal... Naive, maybe, but I'm sure other fans have had a similar experience... we know we can't affect a result, but on the odd occasion you get a feeling you did your bit to help, it's fucking magic!
Yes, it's as rare as it is unlikely, but it keeps us going, and coming back for more.

It's not blind faith, I go to a game with my eyes wide open... I know it's futile, and whether 11 millionaires win or lose SHOULDN'T affect my week, but it does.

Maybe the analogy is more with that of an addict... which I think many fans would openly admit we are...

We KNOW it's no good for us, yet we keep coming back for more, in the forlorn hope of that indescribable high, and maybe being the one who starts the song that leads to a goal!

But the point I think I was trying to make is that I love THE CLUB.... TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR F.C. not necessarily the hierarchy who dictate the direction my club is going in...

...don't get me wrong, I fucking hate the shower if shit that 'REPRESENT' the club right now, from top to bottom... Purely because they're tarnishing my view of the club, and making me question my love for what is now just a 'brand'.... For that, I can never forgive them.

That's how I felt walking out of the ground yesterday.... I hate them BECAUSE of how they've now made me question 45+ years of loyalty... For what?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a football fan, but a realist. (and please don't confuse me with the anoraks you used to travel to away grounds with, I love it, but I don't 'live it'... But while we're at it.... if you had been on all those away days as you say, you'd know it's Crewe not 'Crew'!!

The comparison with the passionate Angler and a football fan is fair, but I guess the difference is the Angler CAN sometimes directly control his ability to catch a fish or not... a football fan (as we all know deep down) can have no effect on the outcome of a game...
Though having said that, I did once start a passionate Chorus of *When the Spurs go marching in" (slow version, obvs) at the Old WHL that culminated in us scoring as the song was in full flow....
For that brief moment, I thought I had directly contributed to us scoring a goal... Naive, maybe, but I'm sure other fans have had a similar experience... we know we can't affect a result, but on the odd occasion you get a feeling you did your bit to help, it's fucking magic!
Yes, it's as rare as it is unlikely, but it keeps us going, and coming back for more.

It's not blind faith, I go to a game with my eyes wide open... I know it's futile, and whether 11 millionaires win or lose SHOULDN'T affect my week, but it does.

Maybe the analogy is more with that of an addict... which I think many fans would openly admit we are...

We KNOW it's no good for us, yet we keep coming back for more, in the forlorn hope of that indescribable high, and maybe being the one who starts the song that leads to a goal!

you’re a good guy. A fucking good guy. And Enic don’t deserve you.

you’re a good guy. A fucking good guy. And Enic don’t deserve you.
Ah, but they got me....
That's the cross I have to bear!

It's like waking up realising that all your family and friends were the bad guys all along....
...and everything that you grew up knowing, or THOUGHT you knew, was wrong...

It's disappointment, mixed with anger and confusion...

It's a weird kind of hurt!

Ah, but they got me....
That's the cross I have to bear!

It's like waking up realising that all your family and friends were the bad guys all along....
...and everything that you grew up knowing, or THOUGHT you knew, was wrong...

It's disappointment, mixed with anger and confusion...

It's a weird kind of hurt!

you are in a cult.

you need an intervention.

It seems there are posters that can't differentiate between THFC and ENIC. ENIC are not, and never will be THFC.

I will always support THFC emotionally and, perhaps unfortunately, financially. Me and people like me lining ENICs pockets is not through choice, it is a by product of supporting the club.

There are obviously two camps here. Those that support the club even though it means being a cash revenue for ENIC and those that hate ENIC so much they will give up on the club.

I can understand that, it's their choice but it is also my choice to still attend.

Everyone's got reasons for going / not going. And let's be honest we all have different levels of commitment.

A lot of properly supporting a club (by that I mean getting to games all over the place at all sorts of time) comes down firstly to commitment, and secondly stage of life. What's being served up on the pitch shouldn't really matter.

Sadly my take is those that shout the loudest (type the most) about giving up are those who got interested in 2015, never really went much anyway, and now think that being non Top 4 with a chairman being a fuckwit means the clubs isn't worthy of their support, or anyone elses. Trouble is on the internet everyone is just a username.

I was in the Paxton that night against Birmingham when the whole 2nd half was a protest against Alan Sugar. I've seen some horrific displays, before you could moan about it on the internet after (or during for some of you) the game. I remember finishing seasons below Charlton. A proper six-point relegation game in April against Barnsley.

Basically I was going then and I'll be going on Thursday because for me it's about taking a break from normal life once (twice) a week, meeting my Dad and mates and having a couple of beers and supporting the team. I know Tottenham aren't perfect now but I know that we've been through worse.

Everyone's got reasons for going / not going. And let's be honest we all have different levels of commitment.

A lot of properly supporting a club (by that I mean getting to games all over the place at all sorts of time) comes down firstly to commitment, and secondly stage of life. What's being served up on the pitch shouldn't really matter.

Sadly my take is those that shout the loudest (type the most) about giving up are those who got interested in 2015, never really went much anyway, and now think that being non Top 4 with a chairman being a fuckwit means the clubs isn't worthy of their support, or anyone elses. Trouble is on the internet everyone is just a username.

I was in the Paxton that night against Birmingham when the whole 2nd half was a protest against Alan Sugar. I've seen some horrific displays, before you could moan about it on the internet after (or during for some of you) the game. I remember finishing seasons below Charlton. A proper six-point relegation game in April against Barnsley.

Basically I was going then and I'll be going on Thursday because for me it's about taking a break from normal life once (twice) a week, meeting my Dad and mates and having a couple of beers and supporting the team. I know Tottenham aren't perfect now but I know that we've been through worse.

Exactly this.

Whenever I’m in London I’ll try to catch a Spurs game, I’m always unlucky and we’re playing away any weekend I’m in London though!

superb post take a bow

son heung min football GIF by Tottenham Hotspur

Used to go all the time particularly during the Redknapp and Poch eras, not a season ticket holder but a good 10 games at least. Have barley been the last 2-3 years and don’t want to go given the horrendous negative football we have been playing in that time.

Curious sounds like reading the forum I am not alone, fans wanting to pack it in or already have done so.
A week is a long time in politics football.

That's some sad shit to read.

Not saying your are wrong though. Not even nearly.

:memeokay:

100%
Model trains and fly-fishing are hobbies ... I don't know of one model train enthusiast whose weekend has been ruined 'cos his Hornby Inter City 125 didn't run on time!!
Take no notice of Crispin You ARE some sort of a hero.

ps - I was 100% with him until he killed it about half way down, by labeling Spurs 'a joke club'.

Yes, I do. I've been a supporter since 1968, have had two season tickets since 2006 and I still go to almost every home league and cup match and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

Both of my sons are supporters and I usually go with one or the other depending on which one is off shift (one is a paramedic and the other a police officer). I still see matchday as an enjoyable day out with one of my sons and consider myself forturnate to be able to fund it for the three of us.

Players, managers and owners have come and gone and will continue to do so, so I see ENIC as a temporary situation which may or may not outlive me. Hopefully the club will though.

COYS!

Haven't been to the new lane yet, had a season ticket on the shelf then west stand until I left England. Can't wait to take the wife and 3 kids in the new year... Round trip from Panama??? Lots of miles!
Stadium tour, jumping off the sky walk the works. Can't wait, won't be like walking down the high street to whl like I remember but an incredible experience all the same.
My dad always talks about my face as we climbed the steps and the pitch came into view. I will have the same times 3🤩

I'm a local bod, but my reasons for not going in recent times are fuck all to do with how we're playing or how the club is run, i think they are pathetic excuses, especially the former.
I understand your take, but there are plenty of people who like going to football primarily to be entertained. To get the adrenaline rush when your winger beats a man, or a midfielder smashes into a great challenge, or when the through ball pierces the defence and you instinctively move to the edge of the terrace you're stood on in anticipation. That primal behaviour, the letting go in the excitement of the moment. Latter day Poch, Mourinho, and Nuno have offered slim pickings of that over the past 3 years, so in my view it's a valid reason to stop going. Especially when you consider what it costs to be beaten into submission with boring tactics and players that seemingly don't give a shit.

Basically if you started going because the football was exciting it's OK to stop going if it's not. Especially after the extended period of muck we've seen.

Back
Top Bottom