Does anyone give a shut that England are playin tonight?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh yeah. We play Brazil tomorrow. Looking forward to that.

The country who took the game to the world versus the country who has showed the world how to play the game.

I'm hoping for a good game.

Hoping
Actually, if you are to believe the history lessons that've been compiled into making Inverting the Pyramid it's more Scotsmen than English who went around and taught people the sport! :vert:

Éperons Éperons , having read that book too I must say that I think their view is rather blinkered. They make a good start with the human capital approach however they limit their approach to the population and demographics of the country. You can further the human capital by education as well. And I think that this is the major problem in England. By this I don't mean the academic education of the players, but their tactical awareness as well as well as the skill on the ball.
I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean here. They're arguing that the lower class in England is shrinking (which is probably generally a good thing, right?), but since professional footballers come almost exclusively from that class, the pool of available players is getting smaller. Hence fewer great players. It has nothing to do with education or anything of the sort.

And the solution to the problem is to be able to pull players from middle-class families as well, which is, at the time, from my understanding, socially rather taboo in the UK. In the US, it's much more common for professional footballers to come from middle-class backgrounds, since football is very much a middle-class sport, and a lot of the necessary work to train kids into good footballers comes out of parents' pockets (read up on Dempsey's childhood for an example).

I think that's a very provocative argument, and I'm inclined to believe it.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean here. They're arguing that the lower class in England is shrinking (which is probably generally a good thing, right?), but since professional footballers come almost exclusively from that class, the pool of available players is getting smaller. Hence fewer great players. It has nothing to do with education or anything of the sort.

And the solution to the problem is to be able to pull players from middle-class families as well, which is, at the time, from my understanding, socially rather taboo in the UK. In the US, it's much more common for professional footballers to come from middle-class backgrounds, since football is very much a middle-class sport, and a lot of the necessary work to train kids into good footballers comes out of parents' pockets (read up on Dempsey's childhood for an example).

I think that's a very provocative argument, and I'm inclined to believe it.

It assumes that people's class background changes as their income increases. Simply because someone is earning in the middle class scale doesn't mean they act "middle class". Whilst it's true that the higher you go up the class scale the less likely you are to play football, the working class and the working class mindset is still a very large proportion of the population.

However either way the FA needs to work to broaden the amount of football being played, and really need to get more schools involved in grass roots work. Hence my idea that they offer free coaching courses to would be teachers. And when you consider that even a low level professional footballer can earn a very handsome living, it makes sense for schools to equip pupils well enough to make it a career option.

Simply because someone is earning in the middle class scale doesn't mean they act "middle class".
OK, so although the working class may be shrinking in the UK, there are plenty of people who still cling to working class cultural distinctions, so the pool of potential footballers isn't actually decreasing?

Phil Jones playing right wing for England?
images

OK, so although the working class may be shrinking in the UK, there are plenty of people who still cling to working class cultural distinctions, so the pool of potential footballers isn't actually decreasing?

No idea. But if it is, it has more to do with the increase in popularity of sports like Rugby than it has to do with class IMO.

One again.... He makes looking inept so easy . That was a Joey Deacon trying to kick a ping pong ball clearance .... An utter Joy

Back
Top Bottom