DOFs that are available

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That probably is another case of a Director of Football having the control over how the team wants to play then. The guy at City played most of his career in the same Barcelona team as Guardiola. No surprise that they are on the same page on how they want to play and which players can do it, and City have the finances to go and get Guardiola once he became available.

I guess that is the way to make sure there is no fight between the Director of Football and the manager. Poch always said he was the coach not the manager, so you do wonder who was making more strategic decisions. I guess that is what Levy means when he says attacking football is in our DNA ... the next set up whatever it is will be based on that as a strategy. I'm sure we will find a way to fuck it up but it sort of makes sense.

Actually not quite correct.

Poch was hired as Head Coach but about a year later insisted that Levy give him title of Manager, and that continued until summer 2018 (or 2017 I forget) when he announced he was once again Head Coach.

Paul Mitchell was DoF at Spurs and his leaving I think co-incided with Poch's change to becoming manager (not sure if it was precisely same date) and after he left Poch refused to allow Spurs to hire another DoF.

Last edited:
Hitchen and Levy do the DOF role, why would they add someone else to the decision making process (and payroll)

City's DOF is Txiki Begiristain, and he more or less runs the football operations for them, which includes recruitment.

Liverpool has some guy named Michael Edwards as their DOF. I have no idea how much of the club that he controls.

Maybe what we need then is a head of recruitment.

I get that the English footballing culture is still clinging on to the notion of the manager or chairman doing everything, but that setup is quickly dying and Spurs needs to adapt with the times.
According to Mark Lawrenson, Dippers have a "committee". Manager, Edwards, and CEO.
The manager decides what type of players and the positions he wants.
Edwards and scouting team draw up a list of 5 candidates.
These are presented to manager who decides his preference.
CEO then tries to do the deal, if it's within budget.
They rarely get their 1st choice targets but quite often get the 2nd or 3rd choices.

Similar set up to ours but theirs actually works.

Hitchen and Levy do the DOF role, why would they add someone else to the decision making process (and payroll)
This is not against you personally but I am starting to get tired of these "why should we bother, Levy will just ruin it" style posts popping up in every thread.

It is just defeatist. We should try to have constructive discussions on how the club can move forward. Instead every thread meant to do that (transfer thread, manager thread etc) is just full of doom and gloom posts.

Back
Top Bottom