Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I get what your saying milly lad. I think most of us saying rest players wouldnt normally. This is a 1 off unique season.

I think its a unique chance of us winning the title due to the big teams all messing up.
Some of us think we may not have a chance like this again in decades.
So we are saying go all out for the title whilst the likes of leicester can win it.
Personally i dont think we will get a season like this again for decades.
When was the last time a team like leicester could win it.
Its not a stretch to say it may not happen again in our lifetime.

If people were saying write off the dortmund game for a chance to get top 4 then id agree with u.
But this is a chance at the title which we may not see again in our lifetimes.

Also fatigue does exist even with the best resources around.
If u think the likes of dier look as good & fresh as earlier in the season, then i am going to have to disagree with u again.

Also dont assume we would all do this in the CL too.
U cant compare the europa to the CL.
Also the chances of us being in a position in march next year to realistically win the title whilst still being in the CL is very slim. So i doubt that question will need answering.

Ps. If poch rests some players will u slate him for it & be so vocal? I very much doubt it.

I remember before Woolwich in the cup most of us said poch wont rest players for a derby match. If he does i will kick off. Then a lot of people went quiet when he rested players & we lost.

It be harsh to criticise poch & say he is bringing in a small club mentality if he rests players against dortmund.
I again will disagree with u on that.
Its a no win situation for poch really.

If u think the likes of dier look as good & fresh as earlier in the season, then i am going to have to disagree with u again.
Of course he doesn't. But then nor does Sven Bender, or Ilkay Gundogan. It's all relative. We're not the only team in the world that has to deal with fatigue. You're looking at it purely from our side, without considering they will have their own issues to deal with.

I think its a unique chance of us winning the title due to the big teams all messing up.
Maybe it is. If so, why the fuck did we take Leicester to 2 legs in the FA cup (and win), only to bow out to Palace, and why did we smash Fiorentina? The league situation was no different two months ago, therefore if the league was our one and only priority given the unique season, we should have binned the other competitions long ago. Not now, in a huge clash against Dortmund.

Also dont assume we would all do this in the CL too.
Why? Why would CL be any different?

Let me ask you this.

Next season, the table is identical to now. We've got Borussia Dortmund in the last 16 of the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. Do we rotate?

Ps. If poch rests some players will u slate him for it & be so vocal? I very much doubt it.
Yes I will. Maybe not on here, as I simply don't have the time to get on here much at the moment, but mark my words I'll be fucking furious if we put out a weakened side against Dortmund.
Don't compare the League Cup to the Europa League. I'd have backed Poch to rotate for the Woolwich game, but not for a last 16 clash against Dortmund in the Europa League.

Last edited:
Here's a simple scenario.

We put out a heavily rotated side against Dortmund. We get absolutely destroyed over two legs, we're out of Europa. We win out every single league match, but so do Leicester. We finish 2nd.

TO DARE IS TO FUCKING DO PEOPLE! Let's go out and try to beat Dortmund to the fucking ground. It's better to fail at aiming high and all of that.

Look, players throughout Europe are tired right now. Across the board there is fatigue. There is real reason to want our players to get a rest, but you just cannot do it against Dortmund. These could be the most exciting and memorable matches of our season and could be games we're talking about in 10 years. None of my friends think we can win this, and I want to shove it in their stupid fucking faces when we do.

[formation=4231, Hugo, Walker, Toby, Wimmer, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Eriksen, Son, Kane][/formation]

I don't want to see the likes of Onomah, Winks or CCV anywhere near our starting line-up for this one.

Agree with virtually all that but not Son

I would put Eriksen on left and Carroll in middle for this one with Son on bench

Despite all the stick he gets Carroll has proven himself particularly coming on against Citeh where he turned the tide

We don't need Son's headless chicken runs in this one
:sonhmm:

I would put Eriksen on left and Carroll in middle for this one with Son on bench

Despite all the stick he gets Carroll has proven himself particularly coming on against Citeh where he turned the tide

I have not been in Son's corner for a few weeks now, but I firmly stand behind him for this one. He has 5 goals in 3 matches against Dortmund.

Something in me thinks Son will be particularly buzzing to play in Germany again, and he'll be keen as to get himself on the scoresheet against old foe.

I think you need a formation playing both Son and Lamela. Coco's been great in Europe this year, and Son has played against this Dortmund side several times, and has had good results. Rest Kane for the away leg.

People shouldn't panic so much about Dortmund though. They're in exactly the same position as us, trying to chase down the league leader. Tuchel may rest players as well.

I think you need a formation playing both Son and Lamela. Coco's been great in Europe this year, and Son has played against this Dortmund side several times, and has had good results. Rest Kane for the away leg.

People shouldn't panic so much about Dortmund though. They're in exactly the same position as us, trying to chase down the league leader. Tuchel may rest players as well.

While I do think Kane needs a break, sadly I don't think this is where we can give it to him.

Dier is the one that needs a break more than anyone, but with Dembele looking like he might not have been fully fit on Saturday I don't think if we can risk resting Dier.

While I do think Kane needs a break, sadly I don't think this is where we can give it to him.

Dier is the one that needs a break more than anyone, but with Dembele looking like he might not have been fully fit on Saturday I don't think if we can risk resting Dier.
I think away in Europe is the best chance to give Harry a break that we've got. Dortmund aren't going to park the bus on us, so we won't need as much offensive firepower as we might against a team that would do that.

I think away in Europe is the best chance to give Harry a break that we've got. Dortmund aren't going to park the bus on us, so we won't need as much offensive firepower as we might against a team that would do that.

That's a fair point.

I think that if we can't get goals from all over the park against Villa we've got underlying issues that truly have to be addressed.

Something in me thinks Son will be particularly buzzing to play in Germany again, and he'll be keen as to get himself on the scoresheet against old foe.

I really hope you're right but on current form he's a liability

We have to trust in Poch

Hope we score early and get that vital away goal

This seems to be the general feeling in this thread.

Everyone - ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING?

We've drawn Borussia Dortmund, a tie that wouldn't look amiss in the Champions League, and we're all requesting Poch send over a team full of kids because we've got a tragic Villa side on Sunday?

What do you think happens when we're in the Champions League next season? Rest our first team against Juventus on Wednesday because we've got a big game against Norwich on the Saturday?

Get a fucking grip. This is a huge game, probably our biggest of the season, and one of the biggest in our recent history, it's our chance to really prove we can cut it against some of the finest in Europe. And you want to throw the game?

I'm honestly astounded.

Small time attitudes like that have held this club back for too long.

I'm not getting into this rotation, resting, fatigue argument again. It's happened too many times. Modern football, people. ALL top clubs play a lot of games. You think Kane is sitting at home hoping he doesn't get selected against Dortmund because he's played 35 games this season? No. I bet he's chomping at the fucking bit to get on that pitch.

Professional sportsmen, at the peak of psychical condition, with the best medical, fitness and nutritional staff around them 24/7. But no no, we all know better. Eriksen couldn't possibly run around for 90 minutes on Thursday having played lunch time on Saturday.

Fuck sake.
Great post, this is a huge game

I watched a fair bit of Bundesliga past couple of seasons, however this year I haven't seen a single game. Given where they are in the league I am assuming they are a decent side. There was a lot written about them at the beginning of the season as they were scoring for fun, but I must confess I have no idea how Tuchels have them playing. Found this vid on how they play but it is old (4 months old) so covers their early season form (there are other but thought they were a bit nerdy so didn't post).

Any way, it sounds like they play like us. Do they? Anyone seen them?

Still can't stop thinking about Sat. FUCK!!

I'm glad you asked. See, Totti Totti wants the subject to be dropped forthwith, so it is quite amusing to deny him that pleasure.

He used a chess engine to enter his opponents' moves and then use the best computer suggested responses himself, making him unplayable. He dropped in the occasional inaccuracy to make himself seem like a human player.

He told us he was a junior chess champion

:dawsonlol:

He even went to the trouble of designing a logo for the tournament he was cheating his way through, I mean, fucking LOL.

I know. Who gives a fuck, really...

But the way he haughtily refuses to own up, or even acknowledge the posts people have made about it, leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Reveals a fraudulent character. Also makes it fun to take the piss out of him.

He's not a genuine Spurs supporter, either. Or at least, he hasn't been for very long. He came onto this forum openly as a Roma fan who had a side interest in Spurs. He's changed his tune.
How'd he get found out and who caught him, seen it mentioned over and over on here but didn't know the details, certainly intrigued now

How'd he get found out and who caught him, seen it mentioned over and over on here but didn't know the details, certainly intrigued now

It's all in the chess tourney thread but basically the people who run the chess website identified him as a cheat.

It's getting mentioned a lot purely because he refuses to acknowledge the situation, because he wants it to be forgotten, so he can continue seeing himself as someone who is seen by others (over the fucking Internet, lol) as some knowledgeable and respected guru.

He's just been a real dick about the situation so a few of us call him out on his sham image. Apologies, it's probably boring for everyone else now. I think those of us in the thread were just taken aback by what a nob he is.

Back
Top Bottom