England Manager

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It seems as though there are no astute english managers. They all want to play hoof-ball or some sort of possession-based game which leads to nothing. Not sure why this is though. Australia used to be like this and then we took a few absolute cuntings and decided to sack the manager. He came in and removed most of the older players and over the last few years we've won the asian cup and played some really pleasant football doing it. Maybe england just needs a complete re-set with a manager who won't take the bullshit some of the players put out on the pitch.

It seems as though there are no astute english managers. They all want to play hoof-ball or some sort of possession-based game which leads to nothing. Not sure why this is though. Australia used to be like this and then we took a few absolute cuntings and decided to sack the manager. He came in and removed most of the older players and over the last few years we've won the asian cup and played some really pleasant football doing it. Maybe england just needs a complete re-set with a manager who won't take the bullshit some of the players put out on the pitch.

The last time I can remember watching an England team that didn't look as if they had all just met for the first time was El Tel's Euro 96.

See Southgate has made henderson captain.

Walker or Rose would of been better

The ghost of Bobby Moore would be better, captain Hook would be better, Southgate himself would be better.

If you were building a decent to above average footballer from dirt or Joey Barton you would look at what Jordan Henderson has and then aim for a 1000x better.

God I hate International breaks.

Personally I think Mark Noble should have the arm band.

giphy.gif

Some "proper football man" gold on Talk Shite earlier today. Suggestion that Townsend and Zaha ("because it works for Palace doesn't it?") and even Nathan Redmond(!) are the answer to the current English footballing crisis.... we just need someone to "Whip some balls into the box"

If that's the level of understanding from our "Journalists" and supporters then we may just as well give the Job to Timmy and Redknapp Jr on a job share and be done with. We have three out of arguably the top five managers in the world playing in our league at the moment and not one of them would be seen dead wasting possesion by using "traditional" wingers.

Ironically, the perfect man for the job (imo) if they where to give him and his team full control over all levels of the England setup and be prepared to give him 5 or 6 years as a minimum, would be our own Manager.

I highly rate Eddie Howe and Mark Warburton. Would be very happy with either if we didn't have Poch. There must be some others in lower leagues who are decent, but I'm not aware of them.

The Plymouth manager seems good, but I've just seen that he's Scottish!

Seems like Southgate is a shoe-in, judging by the extremely positive press he is getting, despite only being in the job for about twenty minutes.

I'd suggest the only thing that could destroy his chances would be a Steven "goal machine" Fletcher double hat-trick in the next match.

Seems like Southgate is a shoe-in, judging by the extremely positive press he is getting, despite only being in the job for about twenty minutes.

I'd suggest the only thing that could destroy his chances would be a Steven "goal machine" Fletcher double hat-trick in the next match.

Is this the best English coach we have? Southgate was mediocre at Middlesborough, pretty rubbish at U21 level, until they won the Toulon tournament in the summer. At least he's won an international trophy albeit at youth level. He should have all his coaching badges by now unlike tactics Tim.

Article on Southgate trying to implement the "Spurs" tactics, and why it didn't work.

Well-argued and coherent. Although I didn't watch the game.

How Southgate tried the Tottenham template with England

It's incredible that anyone with a slight understanding of soccerball has been saying this for a while , Woy made the same mistake & that's why sterling ( as well as being crap) frustrated the play in the euros. Yet a "footballing man" hasn't seen it . Take fitness levels also into consideration , then England are light years away from playing Pochs way.

Article on Southgate trying to implement the "Spurs" tactics, and why it didn't work.

Well-argued and coherent. Although I didn't watch the game.

How Southgate tried the Tottenham template with England
A very simplistic view, it fails to acknowledge that Roy also "attempted" to copy it for the Euros. It's not just how we set-up with our back 5 (back 4 + Dier), playing out from the back we do is not unique it is employed by many teams. The real difference IMO is in how the teams press with the Striker and the 3 behind, put in my simple terms the front 4 for England didn't press in any coherent fashion, we also didn't press their GK. This of course is a tad to simplistic as the players on the field were not good enough to beat the press of the oppo. there wasn't even a contest, the moment any of the England players were closed they were tackled, miss passed, went backwards or played a team mate into trouble, who then in turn was pressed. The other massive area that was lacking was having someone like Kane or Janssen to hold the ball up, the only thing Sturridge is capable of holding up is a sign saying I'm shit. Very, very long way to go if we intend to implement what we do, only glimmer of hope is Kane and Lallana are both due to come back in, both offer the skill set required.

Is this the best English coach we have? Southgate was mediocre at Middlesborough, pretty rubbish at U21 level, until they won the Toulon tournament in the summer. At least he's won an international trophy albeit at youth level. He should have all his coaching badges by now unlike tactics Tim.
Yet our youth international teams have always done better than our full.
Since 1978Our under 21's have reached 5 semi finals and 3 finals, being crowned champions twice, in the European Championships.
A much better record than Germany have.
Yet this doesn't seem to transmit to the full team.

Since 1978Our under 21's have reached 5 semi finals and 3 finals, being crowned champions twice, in the European Championships.

Of those successful U21 sides how many of those players have gone on to be full internationals? Seems to be a major disconnect there? Looking at the winning U21 squad from the summer, can't really see any of those players transitioning to the senior squad proper.

Presumably because the England set up is not responsible for developing the players. The clubs they come from are.
Clearly part of the issue is that the young players don't make it through to the Premier League, often ending up with weaker teams or in lower leagues, which stilts their development at the very top of the game. That and the pool of players in English football who are of foreign origin means that English players aren't as likely to reach the top of football then those in, say, Germany. That in turns means the crop of top English players to choose from is smaller than it could be, and those that are there for selection are often overpaid, over valued players who get picked by reputation and experience/level of club rather than raw talent.

Back
Top Bottom