England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jude played #8 at BVB
Rice played #6 during the Euros (Phillips was the one with license to roam)
No doubt they can play there. However at the top level I think you want players playing in roles that maximise their ability to make the difference. Especially as systems are not as well oiled at international level.

Giroud has been a world class international goal scorer (but not at club level) because he’s been asked to bring the ball down for Griezmann and get his head and foot on things in the box. Those are skills where he’s top top class.

No doubt they can play there. However at the top level I think you want players playing in roles that maximise their ability to make the difference. Especially as systems are not as well oiled at international level.

Giroud has been a world class international goal scorer (but not at club level) because he’s been asked to bring the ball down for Griezmann and get his head and foot on things in the box. Those are skills where he’s top top class.

- Jude as #10 is a more recent phenomena; but no means definitively his best position.
- Rice as #6 was one of our best performing players at the Euros. Just cos he doesn't gel as a #6 at Arse it doesn't mean he's not suited...... Nor is it possible to say - upon evidence - that we have a better option.

Jude is probably too good going forward to waste as an 8 tbh. And I almost think Rice has become too good as an 8 to waste as a 6 .. his strongest assets suit a player who just gets everywhere.

Give Mainoo a go Gareth.

Cue them giving him a new contract before the tournament like they did with Capello as they panic he will leave.
That's what I think it's all about.

The Muppets giving him a bumper contract before they actually see how we do.....and then we're stuck with him for another four years.

If he wins the euros then by all means give him a new bumper contract - but not before.

England should now fix their CB problem if Gareth has the balls to use Braithwaite who is bit of a monster. Other than the goalkeeper only position I can see as an issue is more tactical, we don’t have a Carrick/Rodri type and Rice/Mainoo are slightly different to that.

Jude is probably too good going forward to waste as an 8 tbh. And I almost think Rice has become too good as an 8 to waste as a 6 .. his strongest assets suit a player who just gets everywhere.

Give Mainoo a go Gareth.
Deschamps loves Zaïre-Emery. He’s done very well at every level including the champions league. But he has 64 games of men’s football and Mainoo has just 26. Mainoo has 42 minutes of CL football against Zaire-Emery’s 712.

I think the Euros are too soon for Mainoo - he needs more top class experience to be starting tournament games. I would start him in qualifying games for the next World Cup and in the nations league though where the stakes are lower and there is time to learn from his experience.

Deschamps loves Zaïre-Emery. He’s done very well at every level including the champions league. But he has 64 games of men’s football and Mainoo has just 26. Mainoo has 42 minutes of CL football against Zaire-Emery’s 712.

I think the Euros are too soon for Mainoo - he needs more top class experience to be starting tournament games. I would start him in qualifying games for the next World Cup and in the nations league though where the stakes are lower and there is time to learn from his experience.

Yes but Zaire Emery is playing ligue 1 football whereas Mainoo is getting experience bossing Liverpool in an FA cup quarter final and PL experience against Manchester City etc.

Yes but Zaire Emery is playing ligue 1 football whereas Mainoo is getting experience bossing Liverpool in an FA cup quarter final and PL experience against Manchester City etc.
I’d be happy to see Mainoo play a semifinal against France. He’d be playing against a team where the least experienced French player had more than twice as much men’s team football and more than ten times more champions league experience. And his direct opponent would be Griezmann.

Same for those saying Braithwaite. I’d love to see Giroud against him. Or Thuram.

In 2 years it will be a different story.

I’d be happy to see Mainoo play a semifinal against France. He’d be playing against a team where the least experienced player had more than twice as much men’s team football and more than ten times more champions league experience. And his direct opponent would be Griezmann.

Same for those saying Braithwaite. I’d love to see Giroud against him. Or Thuram.

In 2 years it will be a different story.

You couldn’t pick 2 less scary players than Giroud or Thuram. Man’s faced off with Haaland ffs.

Experience isn’t everything. It matters but Bellingham is a kid and already an absolute monster who is Madrid’s star.

You couldn’t pick 2 less scary players than Giroud or Thuram. Man’s faced off with Haaland ffs.

Experience isn’t everything. It matters but Bellingham is a kid and already an absolute monster who is Madrid’s star.
Funny you mention Bellingham.

Men’s games: 207
CL minutes: 2354

That is some serious experience and his exceptional development is precisely because he has seen so much men’s football at such a young age.

Reminder Mainoo has 26 games and 42 CL minutes.

Giroud isn’t scary. Who scored the winning goal in the WCQF 16 months ago?

Funny you mention Bellingham.

Men’s games: 207
CL minutes: 2354

That is some serious experience and his exceptional development is precisely because he has seen so much men’s football at such a young age.

Reminder Mainoo has 26 games and 42 CL minutes.

Giroud isn’t scary. Who scored the winning goal in the WCQF 16 months ago?

Giroud scoring a goal doesn’t make him scary years later. Does he even start for AC Milan these days lol? He’s a big lad who is good in the air. Nobody is ‘scared’ of him.

Bellingham is just a natural monster talent who, injuries permitting, was always destined to become the best in the world.

Giroud scoring a goal doesn’t make him scary years later. Does he even start for AC Milan these days lol? He’s a big lad who is good in the air. Nobody is ‘scared’ of him.

Bellingham is just a natural monster talent who, injuries permitting, was always destined to become the best in the world.
He’s not guaranteed to start for France either but if you think Braithwaite would be a solid option against him or Thuram for a semifinal then I hope you have Southgate’s ear. You are an England fan trope at this point - blowing your load too soon.

Talent without game time means nothing. You need to play men’s football and have experience playing high stakes games or you are a liability. Bellingham would not be the player he is now if he had stayed in the PL.

He’s not guaranteed to start for France either but if you think Braithwaite would be a solid option against him or Thuram for a semifinal then I hope you have Southgate’s ear. You are an England fan trope at this point - blowing your load too soon.

Talent without game time means nothing. You need to play men’s football and have experience playing high stakes games or you are a liability. Bellingham would not be the player he is now if he had stayed in the PL.

Bellingham would’ve forced his way in to a lineup 100%, just like Mainoo is.

Branthwaite is 6’5 so can handle Giroud aerially, he’s also quick. Nothing Giroud can do would worry him. Nor Thuram, most premier league sides have a Thuram.

We have Stones to be the experienced CB with shit loads of experience. And Walker at RB with the same. One young CB and they’d be some big issue? Come on..

Bellingham would’ve forced his way in to a lineup 100%, just like Mainoo is.

Branthwaite is 6’5 so can handle Giroud aerially, he’s also quick. Nothing Giroud can do would worry him. Nor Thuram, most premier league sides have a Thuram.

We have Stones to be the experienced CB with shit loads of experience. And Walker at RB with the same. One young CB and they’d be some big issue? Come on..
That’s cool. Compare Braithwaite and Saliba. Huge gulf in class and Saliba doesn’t get a sniff in the France team.

Nice chatting x

That’s cool. Compare Braithwaite and Saliba. Huge gulf in class and Saliba doesn’t get a sniff in the France team.

Nice chatting x

Lol Saliba should be in your lineup. Blame deschamps. He’s better than the rest of your centre backs.

Just like Upamecano (who is shit) should be nowhere near it but was in your XI for the World Cup and Saka had him on toast.

Lol Saliba should be in your lineup. Blame deschamps. He’s better than the rest of your centre backs.

Just like Upamecano (who is shit) should be nowhere near it but was in your XI for the World Cup and Saka had him on toast.
Things have worked out pretty well for us the past 30 years. Maybe win some things and you can come back and give selection advice ;)

Things have worked out pretty well for us the past 30 years. Maybe win some things and you can come back and give selection advice ;)

Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan

Until literally now Deschamps has had the most talented squad to work with. So no shit you’ve won stuff. You won a World Cup because you had a handful of world-class players all at once. Not because Deschamps was a genius at selection.

One World Cup to show for this golden generation you’ve had actually isn’t all that impressive. Had a big talent advantage for ages, not far off what Spain had.

Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan

Until literally now Deschamps has had the most talented squad to work with. So no shit you’ve won stuff. You won a World Cup because you had a handful of world-class players all at once. Not because Deschamps was a genius at selection.

One World Cup to show for this golden generation you’ve had actually isn’t all that impressive. Had a big talent advantage for ages, not far off what Spain had.
A golden generation and Giroud, Dembele, Tchouameni, Pogba, Konate, Upamecano, Pavard, Griezmann, Rabiot, are all overrated or not that good. Make your mind up.

A golden generation and Giroud, Dembele, Tchouameni, Pogba, Konate, Upamecano, Pavard, Griezmann, Rabiot, are all overrated or not that good. Make your mind up.

Of that list Pogba in his prime was great (esp for you) and so was Griezmann.

Giroud was just decent. As are Rabiot and Pavard. Konate is really good and him and Saliba would be a great CB partnership but his fitness record is poor.

Upamecano is wank. He’s lost his place to Eric Dier for putting on a clown show. Never been that good.

Tchouameni is good. Dembele is a mess.

But the WC winning French side had Mbappe, Griezmann, Pogba, Kante, Varane who were world class for you. And a fantastic supporting cast of good players.

This team isn’t as good. And others have gotten better.

Of that list Pogba in his prime was great (esp for you) and so was Griezmann.

Giroud was just decent. As are Rabiot and Pavard. Konate is really good and him and Saliba would be a great CB partnership but his fitness record is poor.

Upamecano is wank. He’s lost his place to Eric Dier for putting on a clown show. Never been that good.

Tchouameni is good. Dembele is a mess.

But the WC winning French side had Mbappe, Griezmann, Pogba, Kante, Varane who were world class for you. And a fantastic supporting cast of good players.

This team isn’t as good. And others have gotten better.
Nice little cunt off. We’re the best two teams in it but I think it’s 50/50 whether we get to see this SF. International football is tough and it takes a bad performance and penalties and it’s bye bye.

We’ve been knocked out both the last two tournaments on penalties. In fact we’ve lost two World Cup finals in the past 18 years on penalties. I can’t remember the last time we won on penalties… 1998 wc maybe?

Back
Top Bottom