England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why can't Bellingham play as an 8 and Maddison/Foden/Palmer play as a 10 by the way?

Maybe Kane wouldn't like that because he naturally drops deep and picks up the same spaces as a 10 but I see no reason why that can't be played when Kane isn't on the pitch.

Why can't Bellingham play as an 8 and Maddison/Foden/Palmer play as a 10 by the way?

Maybe Kane wouldn't like that because he naturally drops deep and picks up the same spaces as a 10 but I see no reason why that can't be played when Kane isn't on the pitch.
Because Bellingham is currently in with a shout at being the best 10 in the world. Forcing him into an 8 to allow another 10 smells a lot like Gerrard & Lampard

We may as well prepare for always having Kane on the pitch as he will play every full 90 whenever fit.

Because Bellingham is currently in with a shout at being the best 10 in the world. Forcing him into an 8 to allow another 10 smells a lot like Gerrard & Lampard

Came through at Dortmund as an 8.

Bellingham is played as a 10 at Real because he's the best player at Real, he's not the best player in England though - Also in Real he has Vinicius and Rodrigo acting as decoy's which allows him so much space, he's not a traditional no10 playmaker under Ancelotti.

TBH In a Southgate system though he'd probably excel more as a 10 because it focuses on transition and not possession so I've kinda answered my own question.

Watkins doesn't suit Gary-ball... Rashford does (and can also play CF in an emergency anyway).
I think the most natural replacement England have for kane is toney. And I think you just can't ignore what Watkins is doing as a forward this season and I think as a forward whether it be centrally or maybe thrown on to the left I'd rather Watkins coming on over rashford 10 times out of 10. I see rashford come on against Brazil and act like he doesn't give a fuck. I see Watkins come on last night and challenge for a lost cause that got us an equaliser. 2-1 down in injury time. In a knock out game I want a forward doing what Watkins does last night not rashford just watching it accepting defeat.

Bellingham is played as a 10 at Real because he's the best player at Real, he's not the best player in England though - Also in Real he has Vinicius and Rodrigo acting as decoy's which allows him so much space, he's not a traditional no10 playmaker under Ancelotti.

TBH In a Southgate system though he'd probably excel more as a 10 because it focuses on transition and not possession so I've kinda answered my own question.
Came through Dortmund as an 8 but was always moving further up the field imo. Once you move it's rare to change back. Question is moot anyway as there's very little chance Southgate makes that change

You are 100% correct. But now he has full time groupies and..." but but but he plays for Madrid." He should play where he makes the team better not that makes him look good. Awful management and the dopey fan culture, fully complicit in the star chamber approach that has repeatedly failed England and will this summer. We don't have the personnel through out the eleven so at the very least we have to get the structure right.

Injuries permitting, in my eyes it has to be -

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Mainoo
Bellingham

Foden
Saka
Kane

Subs

Maguire is probably the best option we have right now until the likes of Branthwaite and Colwill are given a chance in the sort of games we've just played. Tomori needs to move to the PL if he wants to become a serious choice. Chilwell was that poor over the two games I would seriously look at any other options as back up to Shaw. That Doughty has had a good season for Luton and looks capable, would he have done any worse?

Mainoo for me is now a shoe-in. The way he can take the ball under pressure, and also win the ball, makes him a perfect foil for Rice. He'll gave games where he's not quite at it over 90 minutes but that comes with his age.

Foden is our most naturally gifted player but I'm on the fence with him starting. He generally did fine against Belgium, should have scored, but he's capable of so much more. In Rashford, Gordon and Grealish there are other legit options who offer something different. Toney has more of an all round game than Watkins and I would have more confidence in him scoring an important goal, and so if you only take one striker as backup, for me it would be him.

Anyway, that's enough for me in regards to England until the Euros. Back to the serious stuff this weekend.

My 23 man squad

Goalkeepers
Pickford
Ramsdale
Pope (if fit) or Telford

Defenders
Walker
Tripper
Stones
Maguire
Branthwaite
Colwill
Shaw
Chilwell or Gomez

Midfielders
Rice
Mainoo
Trent Alexander
Gallagher
Bellingham
Maddison

Attckers
Kane
Toney
Foden
Saka
Rashford
Eze or Gordon

My 23 man squad

Goalkeepers
Pickford
Ramsdale
Pope (if fit) or Telford

Defenders
Walker
Tripper
Stones
Maguire
Branthwaite
Colwill
Shaw
Chilwell or Gomez

Midfielders
Rice
Mainoo
Trent Alexander
Gallagher
Bellingham
Maddison

Attckers
Kane
Toney
Foden
Saka
Rashford
Eze or Gordon

Looks bang on to me. I'd take Gomez over Chilwell and Eze over Gordon, although I do like Gordon a lot and his time will come. Maybe Tomori over Branthwaite seeing as the latter didn't even get to play one of these two games.

I don't get people put Colwill over Guehi who in terms of international football is certain to go by dint of his personality. Colwil as we saw against us is raw and far from finished product. Below is my list. I've ranked each department of the squad and will get an overall score( maybe with LeParisien LeParisien help we can do france. Possibly get my man Frankfurter Frankfurter and our Italian poster to do Italy.

GK
Pickford
Ramsey
Henderson
(Fingers crossed nothing happens to Pickford)
5/10

DEF
6/10
(Screwed without Walker or Stones)

Walker
Tripper
Stones
Maguire
Branthwaite
Guehi
Shaw
Chilwell