England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Winks, Foden, Cook are certainly 3 who we should be looking to get in and around the squad and padding out with the experience of Henderson and Dier.

Though I do like Will Hughes and think it'd be harsh if he never got an England call up. Looks to have started the season off very well with Watford too.

Foden's showing that he's probably going to be a star player, but I think its possibly better to leave giving him a full cap for a little while - he's only made about 6 appearances for ManCity, he's only 18 and has played for E u18's and no higher.

No harm in him (and probably a few others) training with the squad, getting to know them etc so that when, inevitably he's called up having played more for ManCity, he has a better chance of a decent debut through knowing more of the squad and how they play.

England‏Verified account @England

The boss is taking in @FulhamFC
1f19a.png
@BurnleyOfficial on this rainy afternoon in the capital. The #ThreeLions squad for next month’s games against Spain and Switzerland will be named next week.

I guess we'll find out next week whether Southgate agrees with us bringing in youngsters into the squad

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...dy-retires-england-gareth-southgate-Leicester

Sounds like Vardy has said to Southgate that he'll only accept a call up if England have a real injury crisis up front.

Definitely a sign that Southgate will need to test out another striker option to join Kane and Rashford. He looked at Abrahams and Solanke before the World Cup and neither looked ready.

I'd go for either Calum Wilson or another goalscoring AM whether that is James Maddison, Jadon Sancho or someone else. Not sure there are any other out and out strikers to try out ?

Wilson is a good shout actually. Definitely worth a pop.

Thanks. Not too many others to choose from.

If there is another squad in say January, I'd check to see how Danny Ings is doing at Southampton after recovering from what seems like years of injury or go back in time to call up Daniel Sturridge, but not sure he's anything like the same player he was 5 years ago due to injury.

And the younger generation doesn't look ready to step up whether Abrahams, Solanke, Calvert-Lewis or any of the others, although by the end of the season that might have changed.

Another youngster who Southgate might invite to join training and ensure is in the next u21's squad is Adele Lookman (who I really wanted to join Spurs) who has scored 5 goals in his opening 11 games at Leipzig after being sidelined at Everton. Probably too early to call up but definitely one to watch.

Ok - A suggested squad with World Cup players retained (in black), World Cup players not includes (in red) and new players included (in blue)

Jordan Pickford (Everton),
Jack Butland (Stoke) Alex McCarthy (Southampton)
Nick Pope (Burnley) Angus Gunn (Southampton)

Phil Jones (ManU) James Tarkowsi (Burney)
John Stones (ManCity)
Harry Maguire (Leicester)
Garry Cahill (Chelsea) Alfie Mawson (Fulham)

Kyle Walker (ManCity) RB/CB
Kieran Trippier (Tottenham) RB/LB
Danny Rose (Tottenham) LB Ben Chilwell (Leicester)
Ashley Young (ManU) RB/LB/Wing Joe Gomez (Liverpool)
Trent Arnold – Alexander (Liv’pl) RB

Eric Dier (Tottenham) (CM/CB)
Jordon Henderson (Liverpool) Lewis Cook (Bournemouth)
Fabian Delph (Manchester City) Harry Winks (Spurs)

Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur)
Jesse Lingard (Manchester United)
Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)
Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur),
Marcus Rashford (Manchester Utd),
James Vardy (Leicester) Callum Wilson (Bournemouth)
Danny Welbeck (Woolwich) James Madison (Leicrster)

Thoughts ?

A few interesting decisions for Southgate to make before he announces the England squad on Thursday 30th.

1. Loftus Cheek hasn't played for Chelsea this season, and looking at their squad, he may not (unless there are a lot of injuries) so Southgate needs to decide if he drops RLC back to E u21's now or later in the season when the next squad is picked and RLC is still not playing. Rough on RLC but if he's not playing for his club, can't see him in the full England squad for long.

Ironically one player probably playing in front of him is Ross Barkley, who I ignored previously as he's played only a few games since the injury that kept him out of football for the best part of last season.

2. Harry Winks has played only a few minutes for Spurs at ManU so far - although I would hope he will be more involved against Watford. I'd have thought Southgate would talk it through with Poch, and hopefully Poch would say Winks could do with limited extra game time but maybe limited to 45 minutes and he gets a call up.

But between RLC's position, and to a lesser extent Winks, I think that Will Hughes chances of making this squad have probably increased (despite his limited PL experience) or possibly a shock return for Ross Barkley. If Jack Grealish had moved to Spurs he might also be in the mix.

Not impressed with the squad announcement. I started losing a bit of faith in Southgate during the latter stages of the World Cup with his tactical choices and the squad he's picked today hasn't done him any favours in my eyes.

Welbeck? Come on man surely you can call a new one up, give it a bit of freshen up. Saying that having friendliest this early after a World Cup semi final tournament is a bit ridiculous as well

Last edited:
5 changes - Lallana, Gomez, Shaw, Tardowski, McCarthy in.

Out - Vardy, Cahill, Young, Pope (injured), Jones (injured)

Could have made a few more changes ?

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Dele (Tottenham Hotspur), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Woolwich).

Last edited:
Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Woolwich).

With Vardy gone, our striking options are comical. Only Kane has any ability to hold up play or get on the end of crosses. I half expected Jadon Sancho to get a call up, but he's another winger/forward.

5 changes - Lallana, Gomez, Shaw, Tardowski, McCarthy in.

Out - Vardy, Cahill, Young, Pope (injured), Jones (injured)

Could have made a few more changes ?

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Dele (Tottenham Hotspur), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Woolwich).

For me Lallana, Delph & Welbeck should be nowhere near this squad. For me Sancho, Foden & Winks should be there instead. A bit harsh on Lewis Cook & Callum Wilson after their starts to the season as well. Was James Maddison worth a place as well? Maybe too soon for some of them but what are you gaining from Delph & Welbeck in your squad? Bit cowardly if you ask me

Back
Top Bottom