**** England v Hungary 19:45 12/10 *****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's hard to accept when you have some of the best attacking players around. As well as Hungary did tonight and you have to give them credit, we shouldn't be struggling to create chances against them at home with the players we have. You can always be unlucky and draw games, even lose them, but we simply didn't deserve to win this evening.

Meh. They lost to Albania 1-0 last week, and have had mostly rubbish results in the group. That tells me that tonight was more about how blunt we were than their performance. Yes they were disciplined and worked hard, but you expect this of these teams at Wembley.

We should have too much for them. The performance vs Poland a while back was equally uninspiring, with the talent available we should be able to play enjoyable football. This England team seems to just rely on moments to me.

I can't wait for Sir Gareth Southgate when we reach the semi-finals of the world cup having finished 2nd in our group to Brazil but then breezed past the Ivory Coast and Chile on penalties. Truly only he could manage such a feat.

In fairness to him, plenty of England sides in the past would be put out by sides like that in the knockout rounds.

I don't think anyone can diss the manager if you're talking simply about results. But you also can't argue that we have what should be a very exciting group of players that should be creating chances and scoring goals for fun, and we're simply not. It's all so workmanlike.

I’ll be honest, my wifey is Hungarian. I like it but a lot of the area of Hungary is dull & flat like Holland ( it’s been the battlefield of wars for a thousand years & more ) . Budapest is like most European cities, dirty & old but I don’t mind that ,the main plus is the weather , April to October is warm /hot with little rain .
Guess I should have chosen my time of year better. Went at Christmas time. Had an unending number of people telling me how stunning the city was. Perhaps some similar aspects to Poland, where I’ve been to lots over the summer and really like. I should qualify this by saying I quite like Crawley, so I’m probably not a reliable judge of a place.

Meh. They lost to Albania 1-0 last week, and have had mostly rubbish results in the group. That tells me that tonight was more about how blunt we were than their performance. Yes they were disciplined and worked hard, but you expect this of these teams at Wembley.

We should have too much for them. The performance vs Poland a while back was equally uninspiring, with the talent available we should be able to play enjoyable football. This England team seems to just rely on moments to me.

Well that's what I'm saying. Hungary are average, but tonight through effort and determination alone they bridged the gap in quality. We clearly thought we only had to turn up to win after we battered them not so long ago, but football never works like that.

I bet you if they were all told they're not getting a club wage for a few months if they don't win the game, we would have won this game tonight comfortably. The attitude and application was poor.

In fairness to him, plenty of England sides in the past would be put out by sides like that in the knockout rounds.

I don't think anyone can diss the manager if you're talking simply about results. But you also can't argue that we have what should be a very exciting group of players that should be creating chances and scoring goals for fun, and we're simply not. It's all so workmanlike.

Probably. But I'm not a fan of judging him by his predecessors, who we all know are rubbish, but by the level of players he's had available. The results have been fine but we're still yet to beat an in form, top side under him. The most impressive result was against Germany, and they were a mess under Low.

The games we lost at the WC and Euros were badly managed too. Took the lead in both then sat on it, it's like we didn't really grow as a team. Handed Italy the ball nearly all game and then messed up defending a set piece.

Our defensive record stands out as being very good under him, but going forward we always rely on individuals. The whole of the Euros it was just get the ball to Sterling and hope he does something. It's not enough.

Gary: "They caused us tactical problems"

Well that's your job.

.....Proceeds to say "the quality wasn't there".

:pochunimpressed:

If Southgate doesn't sign a new contract who do we appoint next, someone to get the most out of our young attacking talent?

Wonder if Graham Potter would be a good fit if he fancied it? Arsene Wenger, seeing as he knows our game more than his own hairy nutsack?

If Southgate doesn't sign a contract who do we appoint next, someone to get the most out of our young attacking talent?

Wonder if Graham Potter would be a good fit if he fancied it? Arsene Wenger, seeing as he knows our game more than his own hairy nutsack?

Potter would be fantastic but don't see him taking it. His club career is flourishing and managers who are young and promising don't usually take over international teams. He's the best English coach by a mile for me though.

Howe would be the more boring choice, but we'd be a better watch than under Southgate imo. Wouldn't want Wenger, it may be controversial but I am a believer that national sides should be managed by someone from their own country.

Potter would be fantastic but don't see him taking it. His club career is flourishing and managers who are young and promising don't usually take over international teams. He's the best English coach by a mile for me though.

Howe would be the more boring choice, but we'd be a better watch than under Southgate imo. Wouldn't want Wenger, it may be controversial but I am a believer that national sides should be managed by someone from their own country.

Personally I'd make an exception for Wenger seeing as he spent what, 20 years or so, in English football? Whether he's actually the right fit or not though is another question. But I don't believe for a moment we wouldn't play better football under him than Gareth.

Only the few hundred million worth of attacking talent he had at his disposal today.

Basically admitting that without Phillips AND Rice he's fucked.

We're gonna regret keeping him in the job for so long....

Crap subs tonight.... Made us worse.

- Can't remember the last time Mount played well for England.
- Grealish as dangerous as anyone tonight; yet first to get hooked.
- Henderson's always been a waste of space for England too.... Yet Gary will continue to cling to him for years to come.

Kane & Sterling still starting every important game bothers me too.

Kane's bang out of form all season, and was bad for the majority of the Euro's. Sterling had a good Euro's but a bad season beforehand, and has been poor this season as well. We have plenty of attacking depth and players should be rewarded for form. I like how Grealish is now a guaranteed starter since moving to a big club, despite being no better as a player.

Beech Beech I'd take Wenger over Southgate, probably. We may have developed a lot more good players recently, but the state of coaching in this country is still terrible. We produce nowhere near as many good managers as other top nations.

Basically admitting that without Phillips AND Rice he's fucked.

We're gonna regret keeping him in the job for so long....

Crap subs tonight.... Made us worse.

- Can't remember the last time Mount played well for England.
- Grealish as dangerous as anyone tonight; yet first to get hooked.
- Henderson's always been a waste of space for England too.... Yet Gary will continue to cling to him for years to come.

If we were going to win the game tonight it was clear to me that was going to be because of Grealish. Not that he was outstanding or anything, but he was head and shoulders our best player. Foden, by the standards he is capable of and the talent he has, was quiet.

Guys like Potter and Poch etc. are too coaching-orientated for international football.... That might change later in their careers, but for now they'd want too much time with the players to make a dent.

Kane is completely out of form. Mount is out of form and has been since before the Euros. Sterling hasn't had any form at club level for a while now. Grealish has been steady for City but not exactly ripping up any trees since his move. Foden has only started a couple of games this season...

Don't think we can or should be too surprised that we struggled tonight against an up for it Hungary side that often raise there game against the better opposition.

Guys like Potter and Poch etc. are too coaching-orientated for international football.... That might change later in their careers, but for now they'd want too much time with the players to make a dent.

Yeah, international managers usually attracts the elder statesmen of the game, guys who have the respect of the team, are experienced in high pressure moments, and make sound tactical decisions.

The issue being (again) that England have nobody of this ilk. Unless we forgive Big Sam for being dodgy.

Yeah, international managers usually attracts the elder statesmen of the game, guys who have the respect of the team, are experienced in high pressure moments, and make sound tactical decisions.

The issue being (again) that England have nobody of this ilk. Unless we forgive Big Sam for being dodgy.

I forgive him for being dodgy. I don't forgive him for being a fat, useless Dinosaur though. I also don't forgive him for his gigantic fucking fat head.

Guess I should have chosen my time of year better. Went at Christmas time. Had an unending number of people telling me how stunning the city was. Perhaps some similar aspects to Poland, where I’ve been to lots over the summer and really like. I should qualify this by saying I quite like Crawley, so I’m probably not a reliable judge of a place.
Scenic part of Crawley being Maidenbower

Ultimately we were bang average on the night against a side that came with a game plan and a lot of determination. But it happens, even to the best sides. We didn't get beat, we didn't deserve to get beat, and I have no doubt we'll be better next month against Albania and we'll finish top of the group, which is all you can ask.

The midfield is still a problem though, finding the right balance. We seem to look a better and more balanced team with Phillips in it, even if it does make us look a bit on the defensive side. But for the love of God, please drop Mason Mount until he starts to find some of his old form. Tuchel has done it recently, Southgate needs to follow suite.

Play Rice and Phillips as defensive midfield players and just allow Foden to roam as he pleases, and to be the one we look to make the difference in games. I don't want to see him in our own half.

Back
Top Bottom