****England v Italy Euros FINAL 11/07/21 8pm*****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

His words, said 'I will' in some context or another, might not sound like much but there is a difference between volunteering and saying that when asked.

I just can't see Southgate having Grealish throwing himself forward on one hand, and Saka bricking it on the other, and forcing Saka to take it.

Order was pre-determined by Gary before the game..... Gary asks each at the last minute "you still up for it?"..... The same 5 accepted.

I don't think anyone has claimed Saka was "forced" to take one.

Order was pre-determined by Gary..... Gary asks each at the last minute "you still up for it?"..... The same 5 accepted.

I don't think anyone has claimed Saka was "forced" to take one.
And of course no professional footballer says no under those circumstances.

A professional footballer would also look like an idiot demanding to push his way into the rotation.

It's Southgate's decision, he didn't let bullshit on the day sway him, which is correct.

Basing it all on who can hit them past Dean Henderson in training is another matter.

I think with De Bruyne available, he'd still be sitting on the bench into extra time waiting for Mount to get subbed off.

John-Cleese-Unimpressed.gif
Mount has had a great season but was miles of the pace last night. How grealish didn’t get on for him was another case of rabbit in the headlights from Gary

Southgate got so much right all tournament but he shat the bed in glorious fashion last night

It was pre determined and if not it's just plain unprofessional. They should have also practised penalties long before to make sure everyone was ready. 1-1 was a very likely full time result.
Everyone can miss a penalty no need to hate, it's part of the game.

Mount has had a great season but was miles of the pace last night. How grealish didn’t get on for him was another case of rabbit in the headlights from Gary

Southgate got so much right all tournament but he shat the bed in glorious fashion last night

I know I sound like a broken record, but Mount had been off the pace all tournament.

And that is why he was not in the team.

He should have just said the gaffer makes the choices, regardless and as players we abide by it, win or lose.

Bloke is the kind of previous England squads. An arrogant twat, good player of not.

And that is exactly why I detested Rose and have little time for the other bloke who broke ranks.

TEAM GAME.

I don't see a problem with Grealish saying that. He's had to warm the bench most of this tournament watching Mason Mount put in poor performance after poor performance, creating nothing, but still getting picked. He must be thinking what do I have to do to get a game? Then he gets this thrown at him. He's reacted from a position of deep disappointment.

Overlooking Grealish for more workmanlike alternatives is classic England, continuing a long history of suspicion of flair players who 'can't defend'. As Platini once said to Hoddle 'If you'd been born French you'd have won 150 caps'. These days France find space for Pogba whereas we leave our most creative player on the bench.

I could understand it a bit more if Rashford was flying. But he's been in pretty poor form at club level and has barely had a kick in the Euro's, including last night where he was on for about 1 minute prior to his spot-kick. Madness.

He's one player that I don't actually think has improved much at all over the last 4 or 5 years. He's no better or more consistent now than he was when he was first starting out.
The lads injured and awaiting surgery. His form has clearly suffered as a result. He put of the operation to understudy kane (which tells you bit about his character and also the levels of belief in DCL)

The only positive of COVID??? Those that attended supporting Italy I can only assume were British Italians and Italians living here, which I think is a different crowd that would have visited had there been no travel restrictions out of Italy??
So you're saying Italians are some kind of wild people?

Back
Top Bottom