Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now he's lost some bulk, and regained mobility I wonder if he'd be better used in the midfield. No reason he couldn't get back to his form of a couple of years ago there. For me Toby, Dav and Tanganga are all better defenders though.

Dier has a great attitude and leadership qualities, so I can see why both Poch and Mou want him in the team but if he's going to play regularly maybe he should be our DM and we save a few quid on Hojbjerg. I know Dier's had loads of chances at DM this year, and not really impressed, but since the lockdown he really does look leaner and faster.

Now he's lost some bulk, and regained mobility I wonder if he'd be better used in the midfield. No reason he couldn't get back to his form of a couple of years ago there. For me Toby, Dav and Tanganga are all better defenders though.

Dier has a great attitude and leadership qualities, so I can see why both Poch and Mou want him in the team but if he's going to play regularly maybe he should be our DM and we save a few quid on Hojbjerg. I know Dier's had loads of chances at DM this year, and not really impressed, but since the lockdown he really does look leaner and faster.

The problem I see with Dier as the DM is that he is so poor at reading the play that he is very ineffective at that role. Especially if we want that role to be one that does all the dirty work that allows for players like GLC and Ndombele to focus on creating offense. Dier is not quick enough, in terms of physically quick or mentally quick, to read the play and get over there to cover for the other MFers.

He has the physical strength to play DM and be a hard tackler that can get the ball so I see the appeal of trying him there but he has nowhere near the football IQ to be effective. It hurts him when playing CB which is why he should not start there but it is much easier to stick him there and give him limited instructions and responsibilities versus the role the DM is expected to play for us.

The problem I see with Dier as the DM is that he is so poor at reading the play that he is very ineffective at that role. Especially if we want that role to be one that does all the dirty work that allows for players like GLC and Ndombele to focus on creating offense. Dier is not quick enough, in terms of physically quick or mentally quick, to read the play and get over there to cover for the other MFers.

He has the physical strength to play DM and be a hard tackler that can get the ball so I see the appeal of trying him there but he has nowhere near the football IQ to be effective. It hurts him when playing CB which is why he should not start there but it is much easier to stick him there and give him limited instructions and responsibilities versus the role the DM is expected to play for us.
Everyone became good alongside with Dembélé even if Dier.

I feel like his lack of fitness / mobility were at least part of the issue at DM recently. But even then there were some good performances (Burnley at home for example). His height / aerial ability is useful in there. Maybe he needs the right midfield partner though - a good version of Ndombele or Lo Celso might work.

Still, both he and Mourinho have made it clear he's going to get games at centre back. We'll see how that goes.

Ee6YPTxXkAAg5wp

Jose really lit a fire under his arse.

Good opportunities for Dier to practice his Spanish/Portuguese.

Good to see some team unity, the players generally look much much fitter.

Yup, but Dier moved to Portugal (aged 7 I think) and did pretty much all of his schooling there before going through the Sporting Lisbon academy, so it would be fair to say he speaks it as a native as he was 'brought up there' and spoke it for circa 14 years before moving back to UK. So no need to practice his Portugese - although with the other 4 in the group being native Spanish speakers likely he had no chance to speak Portugese !

Dier looks to have lost a fair amount of weight, also evident in the post lockdown matches.

Definitely good to see team unity, although one (Foyth) or even 2 (Lamela ??) of that group might move on this summer, it can only be good.

Back
Top Bottom