Europa Conference League 2021/22; potential QR2 vs Honka Espoo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How far will we reach?

• Total voters
'The idea behind the Europa Conference League is to give more clubs a taste of European football, particularly sides from countries that struggle to qualify for the other two UEFA competitions.'

This is just embarrassing and I hope we field a team consisting entirely of players with no previous experience of playing in Europe other than at U-23 level. Dier can play too as I don't think Lampard will pick him for our first team.

Sadly if we're looking to remove some of the deadwood, this competition means we need to keep a healthy sized squad to play in all the matches. We could play kids and go out early, but let's be honest Levy will want the stadium used as much as possible.

Maybe I am the only Spurs fan in the world who likes watching us play as many games as possible but I am looking forward to this competition.
Should be a great chance for our academy players to play long periods instead of 5 or 10 minutes in games when we are 5-0 up.
But if our manager next season decides to play many first teamers I certainly do not mind at all the prospect us winning a few games 4, 5 or 6-0.

I hope we treat this like :harryhmm:did the Europa back in the day, an opportunity to give young talent a run out. Otherwise, fuuuuuuuuck this shit. As a pathway to Europa League, we should be just getting that at least through our EPL performance. This is quite frankly not a competition to risk players for, or our position in the league.

:mourbringit:
Had to do it myself:

So far:

Play-offs:
Villareal (SPA)
Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
Union Berlin (GER)
Roma (ITA)
Rennes (FRA)

3rd qualifying rounds:
Pacos de Ferreira (POR)
Rubin Kazan (RUS)
Anderlecht (BEL)
Kolos Kovalivka (UKR)
Vitesse (NEL)
Trabzonspor (TUR)
LASK (AUT)

2nd qualifying rounds:
Santa Clara (POR)
Sochi (RUS)
Gent (BEL)
Vorskla Paltova (UKR)
Feyernoord (NEL)
Sivasspor (TUR)
Hibernian (SCO)
Aberdeen (SCO)
Slovacko (CHE)
Apollon Limmasol (CYP)
AEL Limmasol (CYP)
Basel (SWI)
Servette (SWI)
PAOK (GRE)
Aris Thessaloniki (GRE)
AEK Athens (GRE)
Partizan (SER)
Cukaricki (SER)
Vojvodina (SER)
Elfsborg (SWE)
Hacken (SWE)
Molde (NOR)
Valerenga (NOR)
Rosenborg (NOR)
Tobol (KAZ)
Astana (KAZ)
Shakter Karagandy (KAZ)
BATE Borisov (BER)
Torpedo Zhodino (BER)
Dynamo Brest (BER)
Qarabag (AZE)
Sumgayit (AZE)
CSKA Sofia (BUL)
Lokomotiv Plovdiv (BUL)
Universitatea Craiova (MOL)
FCSB (MOL)
Rakow Czestochowa (POL)
Pogon Szczecin (POL)
Dunajska Streda (SLK)

+ All the garbage from 1st qualifying rounds

So Roma, Villareal, Anderlecht, us are the big names so far.

OK so it's not the UCL but its not entirely made up of postmen and farmers. I'm hoping for Hibs, an away day and a family visit in one go.

Had to do it myself:

So far:

Play-offs:
Villareal (SPA)
Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
Union Berlin (GER)
Roma (ITA)
Rennes (FRA)

3rd qualifying rounds:
Pacos de Ferreira (POR)
Rubin Kazan (RUS)
Anderlecht (BEL)
Kolos Kovalivka (UKR)
Vitesse (NEL)
Trabzonspor (TUR)
LASK (AUT)

2nd qualifying rounds:
Santa Clara (POR)
Sochi (RUS)
Gent (BEL)
Vorskla Paltova (UKR)
Feyernoord (NEL)
Sivasspor (TUR)
Hibernian (SCO)
Aberdeen (SCO)
Slovacko (CHE)
Apollon Limmasol (CYP)
AEL Limmasol (CYP)
Basel (SWI)
Servette (SWI)
PAOK (GRE)
Aris Thessaloniki (GRE)
AEK Athens (GRE)
Partizan (SER)
Cukaricki (SER)
Vojvodina (SER)
Elfsborg (SWE)
Hacken (SWE)
Molde (NOR)
Valerenga (NOR)
Rosenborg (NOR)
Tobol (KAZ)
Astana (KAZ)
Shakter Karagandy (KAZ)
BATE Borisov (BER)
Torpedo Zhodino (BER)
Dynamo Brest (BER)
Qarabag (AZE)
Sumgayit (AZE)
CSKA Sofia (BUL)
Lokomotiv Plovdiv (BUL)
Universitatea Craiova (MOL)
FCSB (MOL)
Rakow Czestochowa (POL)
Pogon Szczecin (POL)
Dunajska Streda (SLK)

+ All the garbage from 1st qualifying rounds
Roma and Villarreal are the only 2 good teams.

We probably wouldn't face them until the QF's at the earliest.

You may also get 1 or 2 good teams drop from the EL for whatever reason.

In reality we won't need to play any first teamers until probably the QF'S
Therefore its a competition where despite the banter it:
- Provides the youth with minutes
- Keeps our 2nd XI fit and so they can be called upon in the league.
- Away trips for our fans
- Revenue for the club through gate reciepts as well as TV/tournament money

It also means we can still fully concentrate on the league because our first team will probably just stay at home while other go on the away trips etc.. its almost like having no Europe because no strength is required to play these teams until very deep into the competition.

Roma and Villarreal are the only 2 good teams.

We probably wouldn't face them until the QF's at the earliest.

You may also get 1 or 2 good teams drop from the EL for whatever reason.

In reality we won't need to play any first teamers until probably the QF'S
Therefore its a competition where despite the banter it:
- Provides the youth with minutes
- Keeps our 2nd XI fit and so they can be called upon in the league.
- Away trips for our fans
- Revenue for the club through gate reciepts as well as TV/tournament money

It also means we can still fully concentrate on the league because our first team will probably just stay at home while other go on the away trips etc.. its almost like having no Europe because no strength is required to play these teams until very deep into the competition.
Ultimately its better than No europe at all because
- Your keeping the squad fit
- Extra revenue
- More trips/games for fans

Literally the first team can just rest until probably March . I think this is much better than No Europe and much easier to navigate than the Europa league.
It also means we can focus in the Summer on just our first XI. We don't need to spend too much on the depth for now..

if we get a Manager like Poch who does not take it seriously then we will fail. A Manager with Mourinho's attitude to cup matches and we are in with a chance. We found last year that throw a bunch of strangers together and you will fail. The teams we played in the Qualifying matches this season were only beaten because we played a mixture of first teamers and squad members and unless we do the same we will get caught out. We struggled to beat the likes of Newport when we had a stronger team than at present.
We will not have to play the first 11 every match but talking about playing the kids will see us eliminated. it would be disgraceful to fail to get through to the knock outs when we will need to take it a little more seriously. Hopefully the new Manager will take a realistic view.
If we had turned up against Villa the other day we would be back in the Europa. This is the punishment but it is still better than no European matches.

We should treat this as a competition for the academy players. If I were the manager I’m not even sure I’d attend the matches. Just let the academy staff run it.

UEFA probably wouldn’t allow that though.
UEFA can't dictate what players and coaches we send, surely?

I see no reason why we don't use this to get good experience for the U23s. Better then them making an occasional bench option in the Europa league.

Back
Top Bottom