Europa Conference League 2021/22; potential QR2 vs Honka Espoo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How far will we reach?

• Total voters
I really don't understand why they scrapped the away goal rule, I think away goals always added to the drama of European ties. 3-0 down away from home but then you sneak an away goal at the end, puts it back on a knife edge in the 2nd leg.

Then again, there's lots of things I don't understand!

I really don't understand why they scrapped the away goal rule, I think away goals always added to the drama of European ties. 3-0 down away from home but then you sneak an away goal at the end, puts it back on a knife edge in the 2nd leg.

Large wads of money and expensive watches were probably involved in the decision.

The theory is that it should make for better games with teams going for the win instead of settling for a draw...of course the away team would probably still play for the draw knowing that a home win, irregardless of how many they let in, will be enough...

I hope we get Hammarby in the group stage. My Swedish team. And I hope the restrictions are lifted so it's full. It will be a great great atmosphere and I think a superb away game for you guys. Stockholm is a pretty nice city to go bar hopping in.

I hope we get Hammarby in the group stage. My Swedish team. And I hope the restrictions are lifted so it's full. It will be a great great atmosphere and I think a superb away game for you guys. Stockholm is a pretty nice city to go bar hopping in.
Hammarby my Bandy team. Saw them one Xmas, great game, really entertaining.

I was enthusiastic about this competition until I just found out that the away goals rule has been scrapped. It's been a staple of European competition since forever and one of the few genuinely fair ways to decide tied matches.
There is some logic to it and "football people" have been calling for it forces while now.

The argument is that originally it was partly seen as a way of redressing the effort of European travel way back when - long uncomfortable journeys, often poor hotels and so on. That has almost completely disappeared now

Back
Top Bottom