Europa Conference - Mura (A) 25th November 17:45KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Reasons to be cheerful:

1. Rennes have already qualified in first place. (despite my earlier complaint that they'll treat this like a cup-final, quite honestly I doubt they will be 100% commited).
2. We're at home.
3. We only lost because we played an hour with 10 men.
4. Vitesse willl have to win 4-0 to beat us to second if we win 1-0.
5. Sess can't play in the next match.
That has actually made me feel a bit better! We need more posts like this. Thanks for this post!

I'm also not too mad at Sessegnon though... Yeah he duffed up last night, but he's barely played. I still don't have a good read on his level for us... reds happen and as long as this one isn't fatal, it might even be a good kick up the arse for everyone. Maybe there's still a chance for Sess as a wing back. It took Danny Rose a long time to grow into the role, but then he was pretty good at it.

I don't really get the hate for Jamie O'Hara.
Not sure what he's done to deserve that.

I totally agree he wasn't a very good player, Reminds me of Winks that kind of level.

But he speaks quite well and is clearly passionate about the club, we need more Spurs voices in the media imo.
I don't hate O'Hara. I can't stand the disrespect he's dishing out to fellow professional footballers ALL of whom have achieved far, far more than he ever did in his entire career.

If he would have had half the level of dedication, professionalism, devotion they have then maybe he could have been a far better player himself. I don't rate some of the players he's talking about but everyone has achieved more than him, they've done this by dedicating themselves to their profession. No getting pissed falling out of nightclubs, all of them playing for their country and all of them playing more games at the top level than he did.

He can criticise, no problem with this but to have the temerity to suggest he gave more than them when he wore the shirt has blown my mind and is simply not true.

Yes, we need more Spurs voices in the media but not his ill-informed bollocks, he's turning into a meme, no different to Merson.

I don't hate O'Hara. I can't stand the disrespect he's dishing out to fellow professional footballers ALL of whom have achieved far, far more than he ever did in his entire career.

If he would have had half the level of dedication, professionalism, devotion they have then maybe he could have been a far better player himself. I don't rate some of the players he's talking about but everyone has achieved more than him, they've done this by dedicating themselves to their profession. No getting pissed falling out of nightclubs, all of them playing for their country and all of them playing more games at the top level than he did.

He can criticise, no problem with this but to have the temerity to suggest he gave more than them when he wore the shirt has blown my mind and is simply not true.

Yes, we need more Spurs voices in the media but not his ill-informed bollocks, he's turning into a meme, no different to Merson.
Ok I see where you are coming from now, but don't all ex player pundits do this?

I just think its good to have a passionate Spurs voice in the media to say what the fanbase are thinking even if it does as you say come across a bit hypocritical from a player who wasn't all that.

It's right up there isn't it?
If we had just played kids in this comp you could wave it off, but as supporters of other teams are saying we had Kane, Son, Lucas on the pitch at the end of that game.

I vaguely remember losing to Port Vale in the FA cup back when it actually meant something and we were still considered to be a good cup side - in the mid to late 80's I think.

But I'm struggling to think of many more....
Found the game

Quick caveat. I'm a words man, maths isn't my strong suit. My wife has caught me counting on my fingers more than once, much to her merriment.

But.....

I think I've got this right. In terms of qualifying second from our group, losing last night as opposed to drawing actually makes no difference. As it stands, we have to match Vitesse's result in the last game as we both have 7 points. If we had drawn, we'd have 8, but the above would still be true - drawing our last game and Vitesse winning would have seen them comfortably through.

The only difference if we both get the same result is that we'd qualify courtesy of Vauxhall Conference League rule 17-4(c) or whatever it is as opposed to being a point clear.

Of course, if we'd won (Ryan Sessegnon, I'm looking at you), another cockerel would be crowing, as the Spanish saying has it, and clearly, none of the above is in any way an attempt to sugar-coat last night's humiliation.

giphy.gif
No, if vitesse and us both win, vitesse qualifies if they beat our result by +2 and score 2 more goals (3-0 vs 1-0, 4-1 vs 2-1).

Also if we got a point, a win in our last game would have guaranteed 1st in the group.

So it was a big deal.

Ok I see where you are coming from now, but don't all ex player pundits do this?

I just think its good to have a passionate Spurs voice in the media to say what the fanbase are thinking even if it does as you say come across a bit hypocritical from a player who wasn't all that.
I think the shit ones do.

Their football IQ is low, it's representative of their careers as players and why in the pundit world their media mantra's are rants because it gets the clicks, retweets and people (like me) telling how shit his opinions are but this is called engagement, and engagement is good for the monetisation of the product, not the quality of the product.

I've heard plenty of times Hoddle criticise a spurs performance, but I don't ever recall him say any player is not worthy to wear the shirt (even if he has, and I would still disagree with that level of criticism as a professional, at least he has the credentials to back it up).

I think the shit ones do.

Their football IQ is low, it's representative of their careers as players and why in the pundit world their media mantra's are rants because it gets the clicks, retweets and people (like me) telling how shit his opinions are but this is called engagement, and engagement is good for the monetisation of the product, not the quality of the product.

I've heard plenty of times Hoddle criticise a spurs performance, but I don't ever recall him say any player is not worthy to wear the shirt (even if he has, and I would still disagree with that level of criticism as a professional, at least he has the credentials to back it up).
I loved Hoddle as a player but lets be honest he has always come across as a bit on the soft side.

I see Roy Keane, Neville , Souness and co questioning players commitments all the time, and they could all back it on the pitch.

I loved Hoddle as a player but lets be honest he has always come across as a bit on the soft side.

I see Roy Keane, Neville , Souness and co questioning players commitments all the time, and they could all back it on the pitch.
My take on Hoddle is that he never comes across a passionate Spurs man, he's an overall dialogue on Spurs has been quite negative even when we were smashing teams under Poch, the only time I've ever seen him animated was in Amsterdam and it was beautiful to see.

But and this is my main point, he's analysis is excellent, the content is all about the game. It's not chest-beating passion, it's measured, intelligent analysis.

Keane is the classic point in case (although has the career to back it up) he's a meme, the only reason people tune in is for his rants. It's the reason why I turn it off. But his rants and spats now are deliberate and part of the very reason he's selected as a pundit. He knows this so he doubles downs on it and delivers in spades. He gets another multi-million pound Sky contract. (but he can fall back on his career as being one of the best players of his generation because he captained one of the greatest teams in the game).

Billericay Pirolo offers no intelligent analysis and nothing to back up as a player. He's an utter mupet.

One thing I’d be interested in seeing is not necessarily an influx of players, however I’d like to see us a a properly coached side, where even when we lose, we lose, not because we didn’t try to win regardless of the opponent.
I want to see us play like a unit.
Gollini of course was picked up at the pawn shop and should returned there. I’ve said it before, but we actually need a goalkeeper who could be the reason we didn’t lose some matches.
Dele is passed his sell by date, and the best we can get for most of these guys, it’s a loan to buy option.
Doherty, Wolves ripped us and we should sue, sold us Doherty and got themselves Semedo.
Sessegnon only got those yellows because he wanted to prove and fight for his place & future and I genuinely admire that.
Sanchez I think was played in the wrong position and I want to know why, I’ve never seen him at LCB, more suited to RCB and why we don’t play Rodon in LCB is baffling, probably because it requires some attack and it’s not his strength.
The coaching team need to actually have a very good knowledge of this team, and having Mason help them with it by default will come with some bias either we like it or not.

One thing I’d be interested in seeing is not necessarily an influx of players, however I’d like to see us a a properly coached side, where even when we lose, we lose, not because we didn’t try to win regardless of the opponent.
I want to see us play like a unit.
Gollini of course was picked up at the pawn shop and should returned there. I’ve said it before, but we actually need a goalkeeper who could be the reason we didn’t lose some matches.

Hugo has resembled that remark a tonne of times over the years.

You seem to have lost sight of the fact that you're talking about a RESERVE keeper.

......I don't want us to make Gollini permanent, but let's at least keep our appraisals honest.

How do you stand on the disrespect and abuse shown to professional footballers by the footballing nonentities on here ?

How do you know he didn't give more than the current crop though. Sure he was no stunner, but he used to put a shift in, making the most of the meagre talents (by comparison to other players of the same era) he had by busting his balls every time he played.

Is he that badly informed - he played premier league football for us, does he know less about football than the people that post on here? I doubt it somehow.

And this is where we have our problem.

There is no quality on the flanks.
You look at players like Alonso, Robertson, Chilwell, James, TAA, Trippier, Cresswell, Cornet, Cancelo, Cucurella, Lamptey, Livramento, even KWP. They all have better quality than the players we have.
Conte's game made players like Giaccherini, Pelle look good '...

It’s just bloody embarrassing, isn’t it?

It's a lose-lose situation with this competition.... Always was from the moment we qualified, (and ArseAnal didn't)
Win it, and no one gives a shit, 'cos it's about as Mickey Mouse as it gets ..
But if we get knocked out, EVERY FUCKER has a field day laughing at our expense!

Literally can't win.

What's funny is, they disbanded the "European Cup Winners' Cup" (a competition I still hold in fond regard) 'cos it wasn't high profile enough, then come up with a version of Non League European football and hope it will fly! Of COURSE it won't!

Just bring back the ECWC and be done with it... At least you got some random teams in there on MERIT by virtue of winning a domestic cup!

UEFA have really fucked up here... But then again, they did invent the 'Champions League'

Last edited:
It's a lose-lose situation with this competition.... Always was from the moment we qualified, (and AtseAnal didn't)
Win it, and no one gives a shit, 'cos it's about as Mickey Mouse as it gets ..
But if we get knocked out, EVERY FUCKER has a field day laughing at our expense!

Literally can't win.

What's funny is, they disbanded the "European Cup Winners' Cup" (a competition I still hold in fond regard) 'cos it wasn't high profile enough, then come up with a version of Non League European football and hope it will fly! Of COURSE it won't!

Just bring back the ECWC and be done with it... At least you got some random teams in there on MERIT by virtue of winning a domestic cup!

UEFA have really fucked up here... But then again, they did invent the 'Champions League'
Why not simply reintroduce the cup format - something radical like that ? home and away games all the way to the final, stick your league format up your rusty bullet hole.

Well that was embarrassing and although it is early days for Conte perhaps Mourinho & Nuno were harshly sacked as it is the players that need sacking. Hopes that Conte could quickly turn our fortunes around well and truly dashed. Another first half where we just failed to actually look like scoring. I do not want us to spend any money on defenders in January despite having problems as we need to spend on players that will improve our number of goals scored.
Whilst Sanchez was crap and at fault for both goals, against this team we should be scoring more than 1 goal. To think I was concerned we would be only 1 goal up with 10 mins to go. Even the attacking subs did very little.

Back
Top Bottom