Europa League 2012/13

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hitler-salute at the White Hart Lane:

lazio800-1348215272.jpg

Dru said:
Lazio fans on here - let me ask you this.

is it really a minority of fans if Spurs fans at the other end of the stadium can clearly hear the chants?

Maybe the problem is bigger than you think?

No offence, but count the Hitler salutes in the picture above and do the maths.

but nevertheless is the justification of the Nazio label and all its derivates.

excuse me, but one hitler-salute is one too much in my opinion. maybe it's because I live in germany that I am very allergic to anything that has to do with fascism. such things would be impossible inside the stadium here.

GermanYiddo said:
excuse me, but one hitler-salute is one too much in my opinion. maybe it's because I live in germany that I am very allergic to anything that has to do with fascism. such things would be impossible inside the stadium here.

i agree than even just one it's one too many

but it's definitevely not 'all' and very likely 'a minority'.

I'm almost willing to cut Lazio some slack, given my research on supporter culture at PSG. PSG has/had a reputation of being full of racist supporters, which is, simply, not the case.

They had an all-white end (Kop of Boulogne), the side stands which were mixed, and the diverse/left-wingish Auteuil, which was the other end. The Kobistes ruined it for everyone else, and the club didn't seem to care.

Finally, they started cracking down, but by this point the Kobistes and Auteuil fans starting fighting amongst themselves (anti-racists vs. racists, if you like). They started being kept apart at Parc des Princes, but the actual racism wasn't stopped. And the violence moved to away days, where kobistes would unfurl racist flags and shout racist chants, and Auteuil fans would fight them.

Keep in mind: this is PSG fans beating up other PSG fans for being racist at matches (and elsewhere).

But it took the killing of a (white) PSG fan by Auteuil (non-white) supporters for the club to finally intervene, and they went crazy--getting rid of season tickets, installing a new ID system, and randomly distributing tickets among the two sections. The racists stayed home (win), but so did the non-racists, and now you have no atmosphere at PdP.

So I appreciate what some of the Lazio fans are saying here, but it's up to the club and to UEFA to take care of this, not fans amongst themselves, because that, it seems, just invites violence in the stands.

I seem to remember Balotelli facing similar abuse from home fans whilst playimg for Italy. This suggests that it isn't just a Lazio problem, but a wider Italian problem.

However we now have precedents in our own back yard. Some of those that abused our former player SC in a game at Portsmouth were identified via CCTV and charged and banned. If Lazio aren't prepared to take the same kind of action, then they should probably been give an indefinite Euro ban.

CiPpi said:
Dru said:
Lazio fans on here - let me ask you this.

is it really a minority of fans if Spurs fans at the other end of the stadium can clearly hear the chants?

Maybe the problem is bigger than you think?

No offence, but count the Hitler salutes in the picture above and do the maths.

but nevertheless is the justification of the Nazio label and all its derivates.

You cant look at one picture taken at one moment of a match of a small group of people and claim that is representative of anything.

I wasn't at the game but just wanted to point out people at the other end of the stadium heard the racist chanting, its obviously a fair few of the fans.

The issue is, these fans are at the core of the support aren't they? If they are traveling to away games in Europe? They arent likely to stop going to games easily.

Of course there are good level fans just as yourself but I think there are a lot of nasty ones too.

Éperons said:

So I appreciate what some of the Lazio fans are saying here, but it's up to the club and to UEFA to take care of this, not fans amongst themselves, because that, it seems, just invites violence in the stands.

You got the point!
This is exactly what I mean.

100 of 2000 fans are a minority, also because they are always the same 100.
So, when we play home, they are 100 of 50000/60000 fans.
This is a minority.

The Italian government/police should seriously act to stop those idiots.
For any racist choir they have to be banned to enter any stadium of the world for 5/10 years/indefinite time!
They should not be allowed to travel around Europe!

It's not my job, as a single fan, to stop them, but the authorities (or UEFA) have to do it!

The guy in the hat on the far right (see what I did there :baletroll: ) seems completely lost, he looks like he should be in the happy mondays.

The book "A Season With Verona" gives good insight to the Italian game/fan culture, especially seeing as Hellas Verona are considered to be a right wing club too. The political ideologies of clubs seem to be of much greater importance in Italy than in England.

And then of course there's individuals like this mug:
paolodicanio_468x5212.jpg

Yesterday's win was the first Maribor victory in UEFA competitions group stages since 14 September 1999 when they deafeated Dynamo Kiev away 1:0 :D This season being only the second time the club is in the Europa League group stage (last year 1 point) it also means it was the first ever win for Maribor in this competition.

Panathinaikos was outplayed and outclassed and it could have easily been 4or5:0. I must say also that I was somewhat dissapointed by their fans as only about 200 showed up for the match (I personally expected about 500 of them).

Anyway, here are all three goals: http://www.rtvslo.si/sport/nogomet/...nil-evropo-in-prevzel-kar-vrh-lestvice/291914

Hi Guys
im returned to Rome after this wonderful Trip, London is Amazing and English stadiums are fantastic

But...i read the Daily Mail today...Lazio fans hit Defoe with "monkey chaints"???

So...for you who were at the stadium, we did the same chant also to all tottenham players during the reading of the lineups and especially to Bale. Is Bale a black player? i dont think so!

Congratulations for your city and stadium, it was really nice and friendly stayed a meter from you
in Italy it never happens to be so close with the opponents and the field.

I'll see you in Rome, FORZA LAZIO

Klose11 said:
Lazio fans hit Defoe with "monkey chants"???

So...for you who were at the stadium, we did the same chant also to all tottenham players during the reading of the lineups and especially to Bale. Is Bale a black player? i dont think so!

Someone tell him....

:baletroll: :balelol: :avbshit:

Dru said:
The issue is, these fans are at the core of the support aren't they? If they are traveling to away games in Europe? They arent likely to stop going to games easily.

Of course there are good level fans just as yourself but I think there are a lot of nasty ones too.

This.

Those fans making the trip are obviously the core. While the periphery of supporters don't buy into the fascism and racism, it's clear the core don't have any qualms with it. Hitler salutes on the soil of a nation that endured and defeated fascism at the cost of millions of its men and woman, and in a stadium who has a contingent of support of a peoples who were subjected to an extermination campaign at the hand of fascism.

Seriously, one single fucking salute is totally unacceptable.

I have never been to an away game for Spurs. But I am quite certain our core supporters would never behave in such a manner at home or away games.

That's because we have class. On and off the pitch.

This cannot be said of Lazio.

Apparently UEFA disciplinary comittee wont bother with Tottenham-Lazio match until 17 October.

Maribor's captain is a Brazilian and if Lazio fans will use rascists chants against him, they can dig themselves another foiba :D .

Back
Top Bottom