Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh a league table standing is not determined by points? Interesting theory, tell us more.

We do not have to "outplay" those teams.

We have Woolwich, United and Leicester in our last 13 games. 3 games I would class as tricky. We should be favourites to win all the others.

Not sure if you understand how a league works but everyone plays each other, twice.

That means fixture order is important. I'm not going to go through the fixture lists of all our top 4 rivals but I'm sure based on what I've said above that it's one of the easiest run ins on paper.

As an example, Leicester still have to play:
- Man City
- West Ham
- Man United
- Chelsea
-Spurs

They are currently 3rd and 10 points ahead of us. But with that mounting injury list and tough run of fixtures don't be surprised to see them bottle Champions League qualification once again.

Couple that with the fact that we look like hitting some form and have almost everyone back from injury, things are looking good.

Yes the table is determined by points which is why if one of those teams have more than us it doesn't matter if we make up the 4 point difference on the team currently in 4th.

I understand how the table works which is why I am pointing out the reality of the situation not ignoring it to try and spin the chances we have at top 4 to look better.

The issue with catching Leicester is that to catch them we likely need them to drop points to the teams ahead of us. It is possible they lose to the lower teams on their schedule but unlikely so the most likely scenario if they drop below us is that they do so by losing to teams like Chelsea and WH and those teams replace Leicester in the top 4 ahead of us.

Yes the table is determined by points which is why if one of those teams have more than us it doesn't matter if we make up the 4 point difference on the team currently in 4th.

I understand how the table works which is why I am pointing out the reality of the situation not ignoring it to try and spin the chances we have at top 4 to look better.

The issue with catching Leicester is that to catch them we likely need them to drop points to the teams ahead of us. It is possible they lose to the lower teams on their schedule but unlikely so the most likely scenario if they drop below us is that they do so by losing to teams like Chelsea and WH and those teams replace Leicester in the top 4 ahead of us.
There are countless possible permutations but the bottom line is we have a more favourable fixture list which suggests we should amass more points than our rivals.

It is not a spin to suggest this.

There are countless possible permutations but the bottom line is we have a more favourable fixture list which suggests we should amass more points than our rivals.

It is not a spin to suggest this.

First off all that is not what you presented in your original post.

You took pathetic pot shots about my understanding of the table because you have a personal issue with me.

I correctly pointed out that the issue we have is that there are multiple teams we have to pass, not the amount of points between us and 4th place currently.

If you want to argue that you think our easier run in means we should pass all those teams go ahead, I think that is pretty wishful thinking, especially based on how we have played so far this season. But that has little to do with your nonsense crying about my understanding of how the table works or the vast majority of crap you included in your post.

First off all that is not what you presented in your original post.

You took pathetic pot shots about my understanding of the table because you have a personal issue with me.

I correctly pointed out that the issue we have is that there are multiple teams we have to pass, not the amount of points between us and 4th place currently.

If you want to argue that you think our easier run in means we should pass all those teams go ahead, I think that is pretty wishful thinking, especially based on how we have played so far this season. But that has little to do with your nonsense crying about my understanding of how the table works or the vast majority of crap you included in your post.
Cry more

So Woolwich again get preference over us. I understand the rule and you cannot Police both games at once but there are no fans. Should have made an exception.

So Woolwich again get preference over us. I understand the rule and you cannot Police both games at once but there are no fans. Should have made an exception.

They don't get preference they followed the rules. Changing the rules would be giving someone preference.

It doesn't make much, if any of a difference, it just seems like something to whine about for the sake of whining.

If we lose to Zagreb because the 2nd leg is at their stadium with no fans that is pretty pathetic on our part and like it has been mentioned this likely helps us as it means we do not have to travel before the NLD. Given the choice I think many, if not most fans, would take it this way than the reverse.

We have currently scored 23 goals in the EL this season. The record for most goals in a season is 37 scored by AWB's Porto side. We need 15 goals to break that.

Dinamo fan from Australia here.

I am supremely confident that we can go down to the wire with Spurs.

This is the best Dinamo Zagreb team since 1997 where we lost 2-1 on aggregate to Atletico Madrid. We drew 0-0 at Man Utd and lost 1-2 in the return leg in the Champions League in 1999.

This is a superior team to both of those sides. We are the hardest Euro opponent you have faced in 2020/21 and it's not even close.

Can't wait!!
Good effort mate, but those Dinamo sides of the 1990’s must have been toilet because your lot couldn’t string 2 passes last night.

Expected more from you. #pubside

Good effort mate, but those Dinamo sides of the 1990’s must have been toilet because your lot couldn’t string 2 passes last night.

Expected more from you. #pubside

Not sure how long you have followed football for or how far your knowledge of the game extends but surely you'd be aware that teams do not always play at their best. Tonight was one of those nights.

And i am also not sure how a team that comes away with a draw at Old Trafford to the reigning European champions can be described as "toilet".

I will assume you are 15 and leave it at that.

I was expecting more form them. Not only where they even worse than WAC going forward, but also they did not even try to play football and played kick the Ndombele instead.

Not sure how long you have followed football for or how far your knowledge of the game extends but surely you'd be aware that teams do not always play at their best. Tonight was one of those nights.

Not sure how seriously you took the game, played like a side that knew they were going to lose almost from the off, maybe your focus is on the league? What was worse to see was the constant kicking out at Spurs players, is that normal in the Croatian First Football League?

Qualifiers:12
Group: 15
Wolfsburger: 8
Dinamo : 2

25 after last night and potential 6 more games to get 13.

Not sure how seriously you took the game, played like a side that knew they were going to lose almost from the off, maybe your focus is on the league? What was worse to see was the constant kicking out at Spurs players, is that normal in the Croatian First Football League?

Well its actually simpler than that - we are not used to this level of speed and switching ball movement. So even when you win back possession you are literally gasping for oxygen as you try to launch a counter attack. We clearly tried but Spurs are simply a class above - athletically, technically and tactically.

As for the fouls, I don't think it was due to nastiness. It is easy to mistime a tackle when your opposition is playing at a high tempo which you do not encounter in your own league.

And i am also not sure how a team that comes away with a draw at Old Trafford to the reigning European champions can be described as "toilet".

I will assume you are 15 and leave it at that.
I think people are upset because it was a "violent" game. Of course, considering we have played more than 40 matches this season, a physical battle against a team that was supposed to be a technical side is a bit annoying - three days before a derby, etc. However, I blame the referee much more than Dinamo. It´s his prerogative to "protect" the players, give penalties, etc. Dinamo tried their best and I´m sure they will play better with the ball at home. I respect the game you guys played.

And the most important thing, from our perspective: there is still one more match to play. Away, without Hojbjerg, against a side with nothing to lose. It´s not over.

COYS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom