Europa League vs Gent (20.05KO)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thursday 21.05
Wembley
SpursCele2502_468x364.jpg

006C995500000578-2973767-image-a-67_1425157006295.jpg

article-1234201-0784D264000005DC-139_468x286.jpg

erik_t730b.jpg

article-1223130-007F926000000258-911_468x330.jpg

sport-football-fa-cup-final-replay-wembley-london-england-27th-may-picture-id79027095

ricky-villa1.jpg

article-2353433-00005F0900000C1D-150_634x453.jpg

2515982537.jpg

Tottenham_16.jpg
mqdefault.jpg

Lets get comfortable again in our traditional second home.

3-0 Spurs Go Marching On

(bit of effort for a match thread wouldnt go a miss eh :adestare:)

Last edited:
Fuck me, City cant even sell out a stadium with 35 THOUSAND LESS seats.......for a CL home game, in the k.o stages against a CL veteran club. Wasnt even on mainstream tv either.

Even the glory hunters are bored with them now there is no title challenge.

Poor Brady, she´s probably been itching at the muff to tweet about our new stadium being too big for us

Also, this just goes to show what the vast majority of Spurs fans think about being in the EL.

Last edited:
On a little side note. Why are Man U playing their EL game on Wednesday? Is it so the FA's beloved team has a bit of rest before the Cup final on Sunday?

Its a joke.

We played in Quarabag on Thursday, and had to play Chelsea on the Sunday, giving us 48 hours rest in between a 6 hour flight....while Chelsea played on the Tuesday, giving them an EXTRA 48 hours rest.

Couldnt possibly let us play on the Monday could they?

But poor Utd...yeah have an extra day. How the fuck can they move an EL game for a domestic cup?

Buzzing.
My lad is on his way down from Manchester- moaning like fuck because the trains are restricted to 50mph due to the high winds.
I'm not complaining. Means I can sneak a couple of beers in for myself before the parasite arrives & empties my wallet.
:avbfu:

:freundgoal:

Sounds like the Wembley pitch is the size of the fucking Atlantic based on some of the comments here. It's the same size as the training pitch, and only 1 yard wider and 5 yards longer than WHL. Stop acting like it's the fucking surface of Mars.

We proved yesterday what can be achieved if we take it seriously... last week, the team selection belied the attitude.
Yes, it was strong... stronger than many expected, but I also think the 'attitude' was wrong... we either assumed the job was done because we were playing a strong line-up, or the strong line-up was worthless, 'cos they couldn't be bothered!

Either way, we put some of that right yesterday... now all we need to do is prove we can compete on 3 fronts, and take Thursday as seriously as yesterday, and as seriously as (i'd hope) we'll be taking Stoke at the weekend!

THAT'S HOW YOU WIN TROPHIES! ...not by picking and choosing what Competitions you 'deem worthy enough' to wanna win, and hoping it doesn't blow up in your face... 'cos it invariably will!

We played well tonight. So much negative bullshit on here. Dele was stupid with the challenge and then we were simply unlucky. The ref was a twat. Good spirit and fight with 10 men. We need to turn the frustration into something positive for the rest of the season.

I don't get why some people decide to melt instead of supporting the team even more. Last night it was one of the best games I've seen in the recent times in terms of fighting for the win that would put us through. We played well, just lacked the luck to bury one or two of the many chances we've had, but I thought we did well per overall and the players really wanted to win, which is absolutely encouraging. The ref didn't help either, but that's another thing and I don't think it will help if we start blaming someone else. Gent were very good organised defensively and had so much luck last night. Fuck it, I'm sure if we gone through, some people would still complain that we take EL serious and it would kill our fitness late in the season.

Last edited:
Our hotel was full of Gent fans. They were actually a very magnanimous bunch. Had some beers with a few of them after the game. They couldn't quite believe they'd knocked us out. To be fair, nor could I. Still, it was a good night out, result aside. Nice to share a pint with Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor pre match.
Let's smash Stoke on Sunday & wash this nasty taste out of our mouths.
COYS.

Players have let Poch down there,, especially Alli.

We should be looking to put 3-4 past these teams. Son needs to learn to finish 1 on 1s.

They better respond Sunday, or this season could be a disaster...

They have but Poch sometimes doesn't do himself any favours

Whatever else is levelled at Janssen bringing him in after 88 mins in a situation like that is out of order

Feel sorry for the bloke

Sadly, I think Pochettino and the team would be happy with that performance. I can already hear them saying how we played well despite going down to 10 men and how we didn't lose and still created and all the usual bullshit you would say to appease some fans.

But no man, it's not good enough. EIGHTH in the fucking Belgian league, ONE win in their last FIVE games, yeah guess who that win was against!? - don't care if we went down to 10 men and WON THE POSSESSION, we couldnt even manage to win.

Fuck me, it's frustrating. How did it come to this?

Was at the game last night and have just skimmed the forum. As usual, there's a lot of negativity. Here's my two cents...

We were excellent throughout and it was one of the most entertaining games I've been to. Alli's tackle was rash and clearly deserved the red, though it was one of those situations you could see coming. As soon as he got dispossessed prior to the "tackle", you could see that he was out for blood. Unfortunately, the ball broke loose a couple of seconds after he was first dispossessed and he just lost it. If the ball had of been played up the pitch, he would have had a moment or two to calm down - but it's not the end of the world.

Somehow we still completely dominated the rest of the game and I stayed until the very end to applaud the team (unlike 1/3 of the fans who left when they got the second goal). I was actually pretty disappointed with that mass exodus - I realise Wembley is a pain in the arse to get home from and the queue along Wembley way is ridiculous, but even at 2-2 I genuinely thought we still had a chance. We were so dominant until that point and there was still 10 mins to go. But as soon as their second goal went in, and the fans began flooding out, the heads of the players just went down. They did pick themselves up a bit and gave it a go - but a bit more support wouldn't have gone amiss!

I would have loved to have won this trophy but we can't go back in time - and if there's any positive to come from this, it's that we won't be so overrun with games for the remainder of the season.

Finally - a shout out to the Gent fans. They were tremendous and a really friendly bunch! Maybe next year we'll meet again (in CL with any luck).

Don't worry they are sold!

That's no mean feat. Thursday night cup selling out at Wembley in the first round proper...against a team who aren't one of Europe's heavyweights.
Brilliant effort by both sets of fans to sell it out.
Let's just hope the teams are strong line ups & give the performances that a sell out crowd at Wembley deserves.
COYS

And I just hope that, if we go through, the club maintains it's sensible approach to pricing for the "home leg" in the next round. It's a master stroke imo. Will turn over the same amount of cash by having half priced tickets & a full stadium. The FA will be chuffed because their concessions will turn over far more food/beer/beer/beer as well. Winner for everyone really.
And we keep smashing attendance records.

This tinpot little club with one League Cup in 18 years.

Back
Top Bottom