European Championships 2024 ⚽ 🏆 ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

England fluke another grinding boring as shit win. This evening can't get worse.

FFS
Don't worry lads, I'm back. Quarter final to look forward to. Got to watch our incredible star score an overhead in the 95th minute, limbs everywhere. We're a bit shit in fairness, but hey at least we didn't go out in the groups, or in qualifying. Absolutely lovely to actually get to watch your team in these kind of games.

Anyway, hope you can get a refund on those Slovakia shirts, or exchange them for some Swiss ones. Bye petals xxxxx

Wow, now this is a hot take. Careful with that one man, really sticking your neck out here as I can’t see anybody agreeing!

Not me. I've got France and England boring their way to the final and then boring their way through to a penalty shoot out where everyone misses the first 33 penalties each before a teutonic lighting storm strikes and kills Southgate, Deschamps and Declan's Rice and UEFA decide carry the trophy over to 2028.

I just got 9/2 on Bwin.

England fluke another grinding boring as shit win. This evening can't get worse.

FFS

Im Back Wake Up GIF

Me awakening from the sin bin the very minute Englands win is confirmed.

Indeed I don't know where that rumour started, zero Chance he would've came to spurs .

It was little more than a slew of "there's no reason why we can't sign him" merchants in the trf thread (a mantra that typically translates as "I'm happy to ignore any reasons cos I want him").

FFS

How is it a fluke?

Didn't play well but still had more shots, more corners, far more possession. Hit the post. Kane missed a sitter. Foden had a goal disallowed, albeit rightly so. Other than their goal the only chance they had was a shot from about 50 yards and then one right at the end of extra-time.

Slovakia did even less than England.

I swear Gareth is taking the piss at this point with playing players out of position and refusing to change personel. It's got to be a wind up
Listen to Southgate's post match presser.

The guy is a deluded fool who's convinced himself that he knows what he's doing and that everyone else is wrong.

He actually said

"That's why you don't sub off players like Kane - he can get you a goal from anywhere. Everyone in the entire stadium was saying 'make a change, make changes, I didn't and there you go"

Now.....although the broad sentiment of that may be true, in his mind, it totally negates the 118 minutes of utter shit football just because in the end we got lucky.

A manager who even had the slightest amount of managerial talent would never have been in that situation in the the first place as they'd have chosen the right players in the right positions in the right formation to ensure that we'd be out of sight by the time the 95th minute came along against a team ranked 45th in the world.

Slovakia outplayed us for the majority of that match and that won't change just because we got lucky

He's confusing his enormous luck for actual skill and that's why things are never going to improve under this manager.

Last edited:
How is it a fluke?

Didn't play well but still had more shots, more corners, far more possession. Hit the post. Kane missed a sitter. Foden had a goal disallowed, albeit rightly so. Other than their goal the only chance they had was a shot from about 50 yards and then one right at the end of extra-time.

Slovakia did even less than England.
That is true. England were the better team, if still way below where they should be given their players.

The Slovakian dude really should have scored with that 50 yarder. 8 yard wide target for a pro ...

After Kane's goal (great Tony header btw), it was incredibly poor how we sat back and invited pressure. We were massively on top and while not going crazy, should have gone for a third to kill it.

Listen to Southgate's post match presser.

The guy is a deluded fool who's convinced himself that he knows what he's doing and that everyone else is wrong.

He actually said

"That's why you don't sub off players like Kane - he can get you a goal from anywhere. Everyone in the entire stadium was saying 'make a change, make changes, I didn't and there you go"

Now.....although the broad sentiment of that may be true, in his mind, it totally negates the 118 minutes of utter shit football just because in the end we got lucky.

A manager who even had the slightest amount of managerial talent would never have been in that situation in the the first place as they'd have chosen the right players in the right positions in the right formation to ensure that we'd be out of sight by the time the 95th minute came along against a team ranked 45th in the world.

Slovakia outplayed us for the majority of that match and that won't change just because we got lucky

He's confusing his enormous luck for actual skill and that's why things are never going to improve under this manager.
I thought England were better last night and deserved their luck in the end.

It wasn't great but the Turkish referee allowed the England players to be routinely assaulted, without awarding free kicks or yellow cards, but then applied a complete double standard by awarding free kicks and issuing yellow cards, for any minor fouls, England players committed.

The ref attempted to inflence the game in my opinion.

Refs from other countries can be frustrating in tournament football due to the culture of how they perceive foul play. This guy was just inconsistent to England's detriment until very late in the 2nd half.

He influenced the game by forcing England's players to accept punishing fouls against them while punishing England's players with cards for minor indiscretions.

Palmer wasn't as good when he came on last night; which is probably Southgate's fault. Palmer should have been picked to start and has probably realised that Southgate will only be giving him cameo roles regardless of any external pressure.

Pleased for Kane.

2 goals in 4 games while feeding on scraps and being made a scapegoat by people who should know better.

Back
Top Bottom