European Championships 2024 ⚽ 🏆 ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought England were better last night and deserved their luck in the end.

It wasn't great but the Turkish referee allowed the England players to be routinely assaulted, without awarding free kicks or yellow cards, but then applied a complete double standard by awarding free kicks and issuing yellow cards, for any minor fouls, England players committed.

The ref attempted to inflence the game in my opinion.

Refs from other countries can be frustrating in tournament football due to the culture of how they perceive foul play. This guy was just inconsistent to England's detriment until very late in the 2nd half.

He influenced the game by forcing England's players to accept punishing fouls against them while punishing England's players with cards for minor indiscretions.

Palmer wasn't as good when he came on last night; which is probably Southgate's fault. Palmer should have been picked to start and has probably realised that Southgate will only be giving him cameo roles regardless of any external pressure.

Pleased for Kane.

2 goals in 4 games while feeding on scraps and being made a scapegoat by people who should know better.

Ref was horrible, no wonder he got his ass kicked in Turkey

Is it too early for Der Southgate Kaption Kompetition?

2hso3QF.png
"Did you know these water bottles are from the last game, I myself made them reusable"

Ref was horrible, no wonder he got his ass kicked in Turkey
I like reading your posts, but I disagree with you here!
What happened to the referee in Turkey is inexcusable.
It's a good thing that this "president" was banned for life.

I agree with you that this referee had no policy, except that he only wanted to show off in the first 20 minutes.
Happy Football Game GIF by First Touch Games

It wasn't great but the Turkish referee allowed the England players to be routinely assaulted, without awarding free kicks or yellow cards, but then applied a complete double standard by awarding free kicks and issuing yellow cards, for any minor fouls, England players committed.

Refs from other countries can be frustrating in tournament football due to the culture of how they perceive foul play. This guy was just inconsistent to England's detriment until very late in the 2nd half.

He influenced the game by forcing England's players to accept punishing fouls against them while punishing England's players with cards for minor indiscretions.

Palmer wasn't as good when he came on last night; which is probably Southgate's fault. Palmer should have been picked to start and has probably realised that Southgate will only be giving him cameo roles regardless of any external pressure.

Pleased for Kane.

2 goals in 4 games while feeding on scraps and being made a scapegoat by people who should know better.
The Turkish referee had an excellent game and I’d be surprised if he didn’t feature again. One of the best referee performance I can remember.

Which England yellow shouldn’t have been given? Bellingham and Guéhi were the dictionary definitions of yellow cards. Mainoo a yellow too.

Slovakia were punished at the same rate. If anything I though Skriniar’s for his challenge on Bellingham just before half time was a little soft.

I was also impressed how he wasn’t stopping play 60-70 minutes when Slovakia players were going down injured. When Slovakia realised that the referee wasn’t going to buy it, they stopped.

Probably the best performance on the pitch 😂

I like reading your posts, but I disagree with you here!
What happened to the referee in Turkey is inexcusable.
It's a good thing that this "president" was banned for life.

I agree with you that this referee had no policy, except that he only wanted to show off in the first 20 minutes.
Happy Football Game GIF by First Touch Games

Tongue in cheek comment brother...

Listen to Southgate's post match presser.

The guy is a deluded fool who's convinced himself that he knows what he's doing and that everyone else is wrong.

He actually said

"That's why you don't sub off players like Kane - he can get you a goal from anywhere. Everyone in the entire stadium was saying 'make a change, make changes, I didn't and there you go"

Now.....although the broad sentiment of that may be true, in his mind, it totally negates the 118 minutes of utter shit football just because in the end we got lucky.

A manager who even had the slightest amount of managerial talent would never have been in that situation in the the first place as they'd have chosen the right players in the right positions in the right formation to ensure that we'd be out of sight by the time the 95th minute came along against a team ranked 45th in the world.

Slovakia outplayed us for the majority of that match and that won't change just because we got lucky

He's confusing his enormous luck for actual skill and that's why things are never going to improve under this manager.
great post - It may have helped to bring 2 left backs - instead of 1 injured one who hasn't played for 4 months and is unlikely to play any games in the tournament. Southgate is out of his depth, completely wasting this talented squad with his naff tactics and lack of a coherent plan

The Turkish referee had an excellent game and I’d be surprised if he didn’t feature again. One of the best referee performance I can remember.
He was inconsistent in the fact that he never sent off any players - when you are giving out yellow cards so easily you can't suddenly change your approach because the player is already on a yellow and it would mean a red.

Which England yellow shouldn’t have been given? Bellingham and Guéhi were the dictionary definitions of yellow cards. Mainoo a yellow too.

Slovakia were punished at the same rate. If anything I though Skriniar’s for his challenge on Bellingham just before half time was a little soft.

I was also impressed how he wasn’t stopping play 60-70 minutes when Slovakia players were going down injured. When Slovakia realised that the referee wasn’t going to buy it, they stopped.

The Mainoo challenge wasn’t a yellow. And the Skriniar one was soft? Come on man, you’re usually a better wind up than this..

I don’t think he was biased or anything, but he was weird. For 20 minutes anything was a yellow. And then one of the Slovakian players had a yellow and committed multiple yellow card fouls and didn’t get a second one.

And there were definitely some crap challenges (worse by a mile than Mainoos) that he then stopped giving yellows at all for. As if his early refereeing was just to lay down a fucking marker.

He was inconsistent in the fact that he never sent off any players - when you are giving out yellow cards so easily you can't suddenly change your approach because the player is already on a yellow and it would mean a red.
Can you be specific about the player or foul that should have got a yellow but didn’t ?

I was watching the referee quite closely after Bellingham complained about his textbook yellow.

Surprised that a few people are going for the ref.

omg...the Mainoo one was a ridiculous booking, Guehi's was soft. I really hope Jan's Belgium knock out the French with a totally dodgy VAR penalty. Then you can come on here and compliment the officials

Can you be specific about the player or foul that should have got a yellow but didn’t ?

I was watching the referee quite closely after Bellingham complained about his textbook yellow.

Surprised that a few people are going for the ref.

He was crap, wasn't even being consistent - booked Bellingham for a lunge tackle then didn't book a Slovakia player for the same foul on Foden.

I don't have a problem If you're gonna ref using the no nonsense approach but you need to be consistent, he tried to control put his foot down in the first half but he was letting fouls go for both sides towards the end of the match.

Also Mainoo's wasn't a booking either.

Pleased for Kane.

It seemed to me that the ref reigned himself in after dishing out the cards to our lot, almost like he said to himself that if he carried that on, there'd be a few players sent off.

He wasn't brilliant, but I felt he tried to let the game flow more as it progressed.

Don't get me wrong, I was cursing him in that first half, but I think he got better as the game progressed.

The Mainoo challenge wasn’t a yellow. And the Skriniar one was soft? Come on man, you’re usually a better wind up than this..

I don’t think he was biased or anything, but he was weird. For 20 minutes anything was a yellow. And then one of the Slovakian players had a yellow and committed multiple yellow card fouls and didn’t get a second one.

And there were definitely some crap challenges (worse by a mile than Mainoos) that he then stopped giving yellows at all for. As if his early refereeing was just to lay down a fucking marker.
Good to have you back 😄

Were the English commentators making comments about the referee?

Sometimes I think the commentator makes some comments and it really shapes how people view things.

I don’t share your view at all. It’s obviously a hard thing to discuss but I don’t remember a single yellow card that wasn’t given. Sounds like you might have been frustrated and reaching for soft decisions to be given.

omg...the Mainoo one was a ridiculous booking, Guehi's was soft. I really hope Jan's Belgium knock out the French with a totally dodgy VAR penalty. Then you can come on here and compliment the officials
Guehi’s was soft ? Wow.

If anything Guehi was lucky the Slovakian guy stayed on his feet because if he goes down it’s a penalty and a second yellow

Good to have you back 😄

Sometimes I think the commentator makes some comments and it really shapes how people view things.

I don’t share your view at all. It’s obviously a hard thing to discuss but I don’t remember a single yellow card that wasn’t given. Sounds like you might have been frustrated and reaching for soft decisions to be given.

Mainoo got taken out on the edge by a very obviously cynical challenge from a player on a yellow. That same player then 5 minutes later took someone out on the edge of our box and still didn’t get a second yellow.

Those wouldn’t have been soft, they’d have been consistent. There was one where Foden got completely wiped out and it wasn’t a yellow as well.

Just reading that Lee Dixon was criticising the referee and calling it “pathetic” that a player didn’t get a second yellow.

The response in here makes complete sense. Gooner cunt makes wild claims and frustrated England fans buy in.

Silliness.

Back
Top Bottom