European Conference League 2021/22 Draw and Fixtures thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That’s quite a thought group actually, but it is a group we can win and the travelling isn’t too bad. Let’s go!

Just taken a look at the teams that have made the group stage and there are some fairly respectable names there. We have plenty of history with Feyenoord and AZ and Vitesse Arnham are also from the Dutch league. PAOK Athens, Partizan Belgrade and CSKA Sofia are good names too. Roma are also looking pretty good under Jose - my tip for the Serie A Scudetto this season.

Seems like a pretty respectable competition to me. I think we can be proud of ourselves if we see off all those other teams.

You say that but by the time it gets to the business end we'd be up against CL dropouts, the Italian national side, and the A-Team.
Nah, we'll already have been knocked out some Eastern European team managed by a German Shepherd because their manager has been imprisoned for being a pimp, who overturned a 7-1 first leg deficit to win 6-0 in the home leg, going through on away goals, which Uefa decided to reinstate under "Purge" rules for one night per year, the final goal deflecting in off of a beach ball past Joe Hart, who was the only keeper Uefa would allow us to sign and register at short notice after Hugo, Gollini, Austin etc all went down with food poisoning from a dodgy Italian they ate at on the club's annual Goalie's night out. Kane would have deputised but he decided mid-season to take a gap yaa and go backpacking round the Bahamian golf courses with Gareth Bale.

I think this is a good thing, focuses the mind and reduces complacency.

Doubt though we will see a full team of kids, which is a shame as it's good for the acceleration of their development but expect us still to use them but blended into a more experienced team. Or we could do what we did in the qualies, play kids away for one leg if it's a 0-0 or even 0-1 loss first leg it's not a problem if we then go stronger for 2nd legg.
We've played "weak" opponents in Europa and lost under multiple managers the past decade.

Players are human - they see a team they've never heard of, manager plays a rotated side, everyone takes it bit easy mentally....

Then the other team plays the match of their lives at home at against one of the biggest clubs in Europe. It literally just happened in Portugal against Pacos.

Rather have teams the players know they have to respect AND less travel then playing "easier" sides on the far east side of "Europe" 8 times zones away.

We've played "weak" opponents in Europa and lost under multiple managers the past decade.

Players are human - they see a team they've never heard of, manager plays a rotated side, everyone takes it bit easy mentally....

Then the other team plays the match of their lives at home at against one of the biggest clubs in Europe. It literally just happened in Portugal against Pacos.

Rather have teams the players know they have to respect AND less travel then playing "easier" sides on the far east side of "Europe" 8 times zones away.
I think the Pacos game was more than OK given who we fielded, 0-1 away from home in Europe for a first leg is no problem at all. I avoided this place after watching the game, haven't even clicked in the match thread even to this day as I bet it was absolutely chock full of people slitting their wrists.

Turned out it enabled us to win our 2nd PL game and then finish the job comprehensively the following week.

But I don't think we underestimated Pacos, they were just the better side on the night, had better players who were very used to each other, whereas we played a youth team and new signings who had never played together. Don't think the team lacked mentality, they weren't just weren't as good but did well to keep the game 1-0 and bring it back to The Lane to get pumped.

Depends how you look at it. Toughish as far as the ECL is concerned but we shouldn’t be afraid of any team in this comp. we’re stronger than any team in group, and the travelling is a big plus
Agree in principle, but I can't help but feel that we are destined to face Roma at some point in this competition, and Mourinho will be desperate to get one over on us.

On the flipside, under him we were knocked out of competitions by weaker sides numerous times, and his record against Chelsea with us was trash too, so much as he might want to do us over, not so certain he has the means to achieve it anymore.

I think the Pacos game was more than OK given who we fielded, 0-1 away from home in Europe for a first leg is no problem at all. I avoided this place after watching the game, haven't even clicked in the match thread even to this day as I bet it was absolutely chock full of people slitting their wrists.

Turned out it enabled us to win our 2nd PL game and then finish the job comprehensively the following week.

But I don't think we underestimated Pacos, they were just the better side on the night, had better players who were very used to each other, whereas we played a youth team and new signings who had never played together. Don't think the team lacked mentality, they weren't just weren't as good but did well to keep the game 1-0 and bring it back to The Lane to get pumped.
Ya, the 2-legged tie gave Nuno a lot of flexibility in the away leg, but it's still not a team even our reserves should be losing to.

Agree in principle, but I can't help but feel that we are destined to face Roma at some point in this competition, and Mourinho will be desperate to get one over on us.

On the flipside, under him we were knocked out of competitions by weaker sides numerous times, and his record against Chelsea with us was trash too, so much as he might want to do us over, not so certain he has the means to achieve it anymore.
Fuck Mourinho and fuck Roma

Ya, the 2-legged tie gave Nuno a lot of flexibility in the away leg, but it's still not a team even our reserves should be losing to.
I disagree, very hard to accurately contextualize and compare leagues etc but they finished 5th last season. If the team we put out last week was our first team it might have been relegated from the PL last year such is the gulf and experience.

Back
Top Bottom