FA Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bolton for me. Always an annoying match in their days in the PL
I actually liked Bolton because they always upset Woolwich.

I don't really get the hate for Man United either. They scraped through but FA Cup semi-finals can be difficult. I remember the horror show we had against Portsmouth. They are far away from the United that beat Millwall 3-0 in the FA Cup, but the point is you can never write off smaller teams in the FA Cup.

Do you think Marine FC enjoyed getting beat 5-0 to a reserve Tottenham side?
And all they got for it was the home game receipt. They could have done that at Spurs and made a fortune.

If all it ever really boils down to is money, then replays should be removed from the conversation.
Talk about how the smaller clubs can make up for the potential lost income and deal with that problem.

I can’t speak for them. Only what I know personally and what I’ve been told.

So I think hosting a premier league club would be a great occasion for the club, people involved with the club and the town as a whole. Added if you somehow win memorable for ever. If you get a draw you get a replay.
And probably get beaten at the second time of asking..

Think generally the TV money outweighs ticket money too. Marine did alright out of that match as TV loves that FA cup big club going away match storyline.

But I’m sure the Marine players would have loved to have beaten 5-0 at WHL. Be a dream for them to play there.

I can’t speak for them. Only what I know personally and what I’ve been told.

So I think hosting a premier league club would be a great occasion for the club, people involved with the club and the town as a whole. Added if you somehow win memorable for ever. If you get a draw you get a replay.
And probably get beaten at the second time of asking..

Think generally the TV money outweighs ticket money too. Marine did alright out of that match as TV loves that FA cup big club going away match storyline.

But I’m sure the Marine players would have loved to have beaten 5-0 at WHL. Be a dream for them to play there.
So the argument is even more floored. When was the last time a non league side got a result against a PL team?

So the argument is even more floored. When was the last time a non league side got a result against a PL team?

Why is it flawed? Marine got £500k in tv money. Plus more people going to their ground due to the exposure.

Would they have got that going to Spurs? Reduced ticket pricing - and the cost of policing, staff stewards etc etc.

Anyway this discussion is a waste of both our time! I like the idea of big teams going to shitty grounds.

We are not going to change our minds! It’s the magic of the cup. I’m still watching Hereford score a goal in the 70s.
Or was reminiscing with players who had a magic FA cup moment in the late 90s.

That is how often this shit happens in answer to your question.

Why is it flawed? Marine got £500k in tv money. Plus more people going to their ground due to the exposure.

Would they have got that going to Spurs? Reduced ticket pricing - and the cost of policing, staff stewards etc etc.

Anyway this discussion is a waste of both our time! I like the idea of big teams going to shitty grounds.

We are not going to change our minds! It’s the magic of the cup. I’m still watching Hereford score a goal in the 70s.
Or was reminiscing with players who had a magic FA cup moment in the late 90s.

That is how often this shit happens in answer to your question.
The flaw is they got tonked at home, still got a decent pay out and the replay that they're all whining for was utterly irrelevant. The fact is, most replays are due to 2, far more equally matched teams coming up against one another. It's nothing to do with lower league teams getting a replay against a big boy.
2 teams, equally matched, gain nothing from (up to) another 120 minutes of football.
I hate replays in case you haven't noticed. I'd rather go out on penalties than have yet another game to get through.

As a supporter of a big club, I do not fear lower league teams getting a replay at Tottenham and extra time is a bonus at home rather than going away. It is the Managers fault if he plays too weak a team that we do not win in normal time.
However why I would prefer replays to stay in place is when we are drawn away to a big club such as Liverpool where we so rarely win, then getting a replay is a better option than having to win away or win penalties.

Back
Top Bottom