Favourite ever North London Derby?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My favourite was actually a loss! But there is a reason. My first away game was in the 1996/1997 season and it was the 3-1 loss too the scum at the old cesspit library. It was cold and pissing down with rain. The match itself was a bit shit, but as a new fan the level and quality of support I was experiencing that day was second to none and so the day is still one of fondness for me.

That said, I have never been to a winning NLD, especially not away. All my others have been draws or losses and at WHL. I suspect there will be a game out there in the future willing to take it's place.
I hope you're not going today.

Biggest Derby in English football bar none. The history, rivallary size of clubs is unmatched. The North West Derby is hardly a Derby they're not even in the same city. Where we are a scant 5 miles apart. Hardly any scousers go to the same schools as mancs and have to front up the next day win, lose or draw Thursday will be huge. This is without doubt the biggest true derby in the English game.

My favourite derby was the 91 semi final "he is you know"

COYS

My favourite was actually a loss! But there is a reason. My first away game was in the 1996/1997 season and it was the 3-1 loss too the scum at the old cesspit library. It was cold and pissing down with rain. The match itself was a bit shit, but as a new fan the level and quality of support I was experiencing that day was second to none and so the day is still one of fondness for me.

That said, I have never been to a winning NLD, especially not away. All my others have been draws or losses and at WHL. I suspect there will be a game out there in the future willing to take it's place.
smokes was a great poster.

April 1982 at their place. 3-1 win. Micky Hazard's game. We had all of the Clock End and a good chunk of the left-hand half of the North Bank as you looked from the CE.

A couple of draws stick out too:

March 1982 we drew 2-2 at WHL after being 2 down at half time. I remember soul man Alton Edwards being introduced at half time and his song 'I Just Wanna' played over the tannoy with the pimps and prostitutes in the Park Lane clapping along to the tune thinking they had won the game. Cracking comeback in the 2nd half, and Chris Hughton decked Alan Sunderland with a well-placed upper cut. Got sent off for his trouble though (along with the drunk-driver).

Also, the 2-2 in 2016 for Kane's goal - along with Pavyluchenko's goal to make it 3-1 against Inter in 2010, it was the loudest I recall at WHL. Shame it wasn't a match winner but the game itself was fantastic.

April 1982 at their place. 3-1 win. Micky Hazard's game. We had all of the Clock End and a good chunk of the left-hand half of the North Bank as you looked from the CE.

A couple of draws stick out too:

March 1982 we drew 2-2 at WHL after being 2 down at half time. I remember soul man Alton Edwards being introduced at half time and his song 'I Just Wanna' played over the tannoy with the pimps and prostitutes in the Park Lane clapping along to the tune thinking they had won the game. Cracking comeback in the 2nd half, and Chris Hughton decked Alan Sunderland with a well-placed upper cut. Got sent off for his trouble though (along with the drunk-driver).

Also, the 2-2 in 2016 for Kane's goal - along with Pavyluchenko's goal to make it 3-1 against Inter in 2010, it was the loudest I recall at WHL. Shame it wasn't a match winner but the game itself was fantastic.
I remember that 82 game..i was in the northbank ...they had a big useless lump up front called hawley or crawley..he scored..i can recall the third goal hazard scored and it seemed the whole of the crowd in the clockend came falling down the stand from where i was..
And the fighting in the seats in the east stand all through the game.
Got chucked out before hand and paid to get in again .

Probably have to go for the 5-1.
It was the first time my daughter had seen us beat the scum.
Booked a Wembley trip.
And it was on my birthday.

Biggest Derby in English football bar none. The history, rivallary size of clubs is unmatched. The North West Derby is hardly a Derby they're not even in the same city. Where we are a scant 5 miles apart. Hardly any scousers go to the same schools as mancs and have to front up the next day win, lose or draw Thursday will be huge. This is without doubt the biggest true derby in the English game.

My favourite derby was the 91 semi final "he is you know"

COYS

You're having a laugh, right?

There's Liverpool and Man United fans in the same classrooms in the South East.
My former employer had 2 employers from and based in Canada. 1 was Spurs. 1 was Woolwich and they used to bicker like an old married couple.

Fans are everywhere.

If you wanted to base rivalry on that basis though. many of us Essex based Spurs fans probably had to deal with West Ham fans far more than Woolwich.
And TBH, I had a lot of Liverpool fans in the classroom as a kid.

I remember that 82 game..i was in the northbank ...they had a big useless lump up front called hawley or crawley..he scored..i can recall the third goal hazard scored and it seemed the whole of the crowd in the clockend came falling down the stand from where i was..
And the fighting in the seats in the east stand all through the game.
Got chucked out before hand and paid to get in again .
John Hawley. We had the upper hand both on and off the pitch at that time, which lasted for a few years longer.

The dad of the friend I went to the game with had a pub in Upper Holloway at the time. Walking back in there after the match with looking stupid with my THFC Tam O'Shanter hat on my head (obviously) got me a few unwelcomed comments...

For me, because I started getting in to football in 94/95 there was a loooong period where there weren't many that pleased me.

The first win I saw (TV) was 1-0 January 1995 when Popescu scored. We finished above them that season but then went 22 years below them (in many cased, a loooong way behind them)

After that it has to the 5-1 2nd leg win in the league cup semi final.

April 81/82. We won at Highbury 3-1, were going for the title and played tham off the park, 3-1 flattered them. That and the 5-0 a season later. Edit just seen N5spurs post who explains it better but it was bloody great. So many Spurs there that day.

Mine was a 5-4 loss (weird I know) it was the Jol era and had just started supporting spurs.The game was crazy like a basketball game. It’s the reason why it’s the best derby.

Back
Top Bottom