Financial Fair Play

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They aren't really though are they? Wasn't the big thing about FFP "if you can't run the club within your means, you won't be in the champions league"
and a £50 million fine is just ridiculous. Makes a mockery of the whole thing in my opinion.
Some of them missed out on the Qatar World Cup money.:rolleyes:

Wolves, Everton, Notts Forrest, Woolwich (Let’s pray they finish outside CL this season, really tighten their relative screw).

Go get the HG gems Ange/Lange/Levy!

City hopefully dealt with justly, next season could be Epic!

Get Champions League this season and things are looking exceptionally rosy!

IF this is really what's up, this is the moment Daniel Levy has been planning for. And IF it that is the case, and he actually capitalizes to make us a dominant winning force, give the man his fucking flowers.

Not as cut and dried as it might look yet imo. Punishing Everton and Forest is very different to punishing City and chavski. Still expecting Boehly and his numpties to try and spend their way out of trouble this month.

This might sound a touch cynical, but is there anything in place to stop a Saudi side coming in and paying £100m for Dan Burn to bail Newcastle out of the hole they're in?

This might sound a touch cynical, but is there anything in place to stop a Saudi side coming in and paying £100m for Dan Burn to bail Newcastle out of the hole they're in?

I fully expect this kind of shit to happen - this is the bed the FA/PL have made themselves allowing Saudi Arabia to buy Newcastle. They have already put in the mechanism in to buy star players costing £100m+ and “loan” them to Newcastle. Could even pay their wages for zero impact on Newcastle’s balance sheets.

Maybe it sounds naive, but i think other clubs may stop making trades with Newcastle if they go that way. Howe already complained that they dont have many friends in transfer market. Guess sometimes you dont want to trade with bad guys even if they pay more. Also second thing, if i.e you sold Burn for 100mln, why should i sell to you someone like Romero for less than 300mln?

Maybe it sounds naive, but i think other clubs may stop making trades with Newcastle if they go that way. Howe already complained that they dont have many friends in transfer market. Guess sometimes you dont want to trade with bad guys even if they pay more. Also second thing, if i.e you sold Burn for 100mln, why should i sell to you someone like Romero for less than 300mln?

Clubs will sell them players for stupid money but nobody will buy from them unless it's for peanuts.

The only thing stopping that is the players themselves. If players are leaving Saudi in droves, then that word will get out amongst other players and suddenly Dan Burn isn't willing to take stupid money to go there unless he's at the end of his career. Meaning Newcastle can only have a model of buying 29 year olds with no resale value because when they hit 32 they are willing to go.

I haven't thought this through, or read into it at all. But it does begin to feel like the football authorities are finally making moves to get some modicum of sense back within the financial structures of the game.

Still think Chelsea and City should be sent to the bottom of the pile to start again though.

In legal competition terms, you would need to demonstrate some sort of commercial link or element of collusion between Newcastle and the Saudi side.

Unfortunately, as we’re dealing with a state and its various billionaire princes, there would be nothing to stop them coming to an arrangement to help one another out and buy respective players as a matter of internal politics.

So, in short, if they’re reasonably clever about it, no, there’s nothing stopping them.

Isn't that the same / similar to Juventus. They did swap deals inflating both buying and selling players fee. They broke their FA rules, European rules and are being investigated for fraud in their national courts. This seems the same

In legal competition terms, you would need to demonstrate some sort of commercial link or element of collusion between Newcastle and the Saudi side.
I think all you would need to do is prove that £100m Dan Burn isn’t fair value.
Of course, you’re not going to see an egregious example like this. It’s far more likely to be four players with their fees inflated by 5 -10m or deadweight wages moved for a small fee.

I think all you would need to do is prove that £100m Dan Burn isn’t fair value.
Of course, you’re not going to see an egregious example like this. It’s far more likely to be four players with their fees inflated by 5 -10m or deadweight wages moved for a small fee.
You would need that link though. The intent of two parties to manipulate the market.

Being profligate with your money isn’t illegal. But, as you say, purposefully overpaying with a view to gaining an advantage, either through acquisitions or endorsements, is.

The players themselves. Henderson is begging to leave. Players talk, you can’t force a player to go.

Back
Top Bottom