First foreign team you watched live?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fiorentina. Against Spurs in a pre-season friendly in the '90s.

First foreign team I watched that weren't playing against us was Union Berlin when I was over there on holiday.
Was it the David Howells Testimonial by any chance? I believe that was against Fiorentina and we lost 2-0. It was also our first chance to see Les Ferdinand and David Ginola in action just before the 97/98 season started. We wore the blue and gold shirt with white shorts and socks that was to be our away strip for the season and Fiorentina played in white.

Wow that was something!
James Greaves, just for you, Mrs. P

5KHD3xW.jpg

I'm really envious of people who were around to see the Double Team and Jimmy in his prime. I was still in Malta, aged 5, in 1961 and didn't even know who/what Tottenham Hotspur were.
Me too - I don't remember any of the details, apart from the lovely feeling it gave me to support Spurs. I left the photo big, so you can zoom in and read the bio's.

Probably Spurs on my first trip to England. The walk to from 7S was quite something. The area looked rubbish but it had a festival atmosphere and people were popping out from alleys starting sporadic chants. Could hardly see the match with a fat cunt and the old Shelf pillar blocking most of my view

Outside England it must be Feyenoord when I travelled to stay with my aunt who lived in Rotterdam. Unpleasant atmosphere in the ground with everyone looking like neo Nazis

In Israel it was an Intertoto match in June 1996 against Cliftonville FC. shit match ended in a draw, I do recall they had just one away fan with them and he couldnโ€™t get how we break the sunflower seeds with our mouths (the football snack in Israel)

Fiorentina. Against Spurs in a pre-season friendly in the '90s.

First foreign team I watched that weren't playing against us was Union Berlin when I was over there on holiday.
First live match abroad (that wasn't Spurs) was equally as random;
Tirol Innsbruck vs. Fiorentina in the UEFA Cup, sometime around 2001... I was working in Innsbruck, and decided to check out a game... Turns out, it was this one!

Alex Manninger (Austrian) was in goal for Fiorentina... and being the decent Spurs fan I am, gave him dog's abuse along with everyone else...
"Ma-nninger... Ma-nninger...
Va-ffan-culo" was the chant I remember catching on...
Those Austrians know their Italian!
First game that was abroad & had nothing to do with Spurs was Fiorentina, Iโ€™ve no idea who they played & when it was . Batistuta played
Was it the David Howells Testimonial by any chance? I believe that was against Fiorentina and we lost 2-0. It was also our first chance to see Les Ferdinand and David Ginola in action just before the 97/98 season started. We wore the blue and gold shirt with white shorts and socks that was to be our away strip for the season and Fiorentina played in white.
Funny how Fiorentina feature quite a lot here....

Back
Top Bottom