First foreign team you watched live?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A Rangers game would have been my first non spurs game but don’t really count it as foreign though.

Went to watch Dijon play while staying in France during the 80s.

Due to the scousers being absolute cunts didn’t get to see spurs play European football till the 90s.

Pretty sure it was feyenoord. Dutch fans were full on.
Checked and CWC 92. Season after we won the FA cup.
30 years. Time flies.

Last edited:
Think it would be Northern Ireland for the Danny Blanchflower testimonial in 90.
Club side would be Sevilla in Uefa cup. Due to the ticket office being useless we were already 2-0 down before i sat down.

AC Milan v Cagliari 2-2 game in 1999

Wow, I’m only now learning that Ayala was a Milan player back then - I loved him at Valencia. Milan weren’t in a good place back then but still had club icons like Maldini, Albertini, Shevchenko, Leonardo, Weah and Bierhoff. Good stuff for a young fella

Wales Vs Czechoslovakia at the Racecourse in 1988.

I can't remember the score, but I got in for free by climbing over the barbed wire-topped gate around the side. It was the last game that I ever got to see by climbing over.

Motherwell (H), Texaco Cup, October 1970 ( 3-2, Chivers, Peters (2)).
Keflavik (H), UEFA Cup, September 1971 ( 6-1, Mullery (2), Coates, Gilzean (3)).

Pescara v Roma .. 79 ish .. my college mate Bruno, Argentine/Italian mate drove from Italy to Devon stayed with me in London ... I saved some wedge and flew over .BIG DEAL at the time.... His grandfather Luis monte.. . .https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Monti
Got us tickets ... As we entered stands .. EVERYONE rose and clapped...

Think Roma won

Well, I’m not from England, so….

When I was 6 years old (early 1990’s), my parents took me to London for the first time. Took me to a Chelsea game on that trip.

Terrible cunts. Been a Spurs fan ever since.

Never talked to my parents again. Terrible cunts.

(Almost) true story. :myword:

Well, I’m not from England, so….

When I was 6 years old (early 1990’s), my parents took me to London for the first time. Took me to a Chelsea game on that trip.

Terrible cunts. Been a Spurs fan ever since.

Never talked to my parents again. Terrible cunts.

(Almost) true story. :myword:
Sadly, I think Chelsea was also the first foreign (to me) team I watched in person when they played a friendly against D.C. United in 2005. I was there to support D.C. at least.

Pescara v Roma .. 79 ish .. my college mate Bruno, Argentine/Italian mate drove from Italy to Devon stayed with me in London ... I saved some wedge and flew over .BIG DEAL at the time.... His grandfather Luis monte.. . .https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Monti
Got us tickets ... As we entered stands .. EVERYONE rose and clapped...

Think Roma won
Oh.. just. Seen the link for Monti doesn't work... But he's the only player to play for 2 different nations in 2 world cup finals.. 1 st Argentina. Then Italy .. in the famous 'win or die' Mussolini final.. luckily they won.!!! Captained juventus... Won 4? Serie A trophies and was reckoned to be the first of the modern day midfielders .. hero to zero in the battle of Highbury... Which surprisingly my old man remembered him from .. back a while a true legend of game.. I took a picture of me and him holding his world cup medal ... FUCKING X ray machines wiped the negs clean... He had died the next time I went to see my mate in the mid 80s...

Oh.. just. Seen the link for Monti doesn't work... But he's the only player to play for 2 different nations in 2 world cup finals.. 1 st Argentina. Then Italy .. in the famous 'win or die' Mussolini final.. luckily they won.!!! Captained juventus... Won 4? Serie A trophies and was reckoned to be the first of the modern day midfielders .. hero to zero in the battle of Highbury... Which surprisingly my old man remembered him from .. back a while a true legend of game.. I took a picture of me and him holding his world cup medal ... FUCKING X ray machines wiped the negs clean... He had died the next time I went to see my mate in the mid 80s...
You've put a full stop right before the start of the link. That's why it doesn't work. Great story though!

The Battle of Highbury, to which you refer...

Last edited:
The first lucid memory of watching a foreign football match was from 1997-98 when Henrik Larsson was at Celtic, so their games were carried by Swedish TV 4 at the time.

A Rangers game would have been my first non spurs game but don’t really count it as foreign though.

Went to watch Dijon play while staying in France during the 80s.

Due to the scousers being absolute cunts didn’t get to see spurs play European football till the 90s.

Pretty sure it was feyenoord. Dutch fans were full on.
Checked and CWC 92. Season after we won the FA cup.
30 years. Time flies.

Dijon, eh? Quite a well known city but for some reason their football team has never quite cut the mustard.

:dierno:

Siena - Sampdoria in 2001 (Serie B)

I was in Italy for a couple of months as part of my university course, so had the chance to watch the local team.

The stadium was as diabolical as the game itself, barely held 10,000 fans if i remember. Some type of firework went off during the game I genuinely thought a bomb had gone off.

The highlight was an Italian grandmother hurling some of the most foul mouthed abuse towards the ref that I've ever heard.

It also happens to be the only place I've ever witnessed football hooliganism - was minding my own business one afternoon when about 30 Cosenza fans came charging down the street.
I vividly remember watching the scuffles with the Siena fans as shoes were flying through the air...

Back
Top Bottom