Footballers or other sports stars you've met who left a bad impression

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A mate of mine once played darts with George Best in some London wine bar years ago. Best called him a 'pisshead'. 😂

He loves telling that story!

Used to work in a pub that the Leeds players frequented back in the 90s. Most were fine, decent guys. However, David Batty was a bellend.

One Sunday lunch he and his family were in. He and his missus were swearing constantly and very loudly. Other customers had their families in and I had a few complaints, other bar staff wouldn’t go and ask him to tone it down, so I had to.

Went over to ask him if he would moderate his language, he looked at me and said “do you know who I am?”

I replied with “yes I do mr Batty, it was great seeing you get hammered by spurs the other day!” He shut up and we never saw him in the pub again.

My brother met Lee Dixon on a plane, said he was very cool and polite. He also met Gary Mabbs and David Beckham both of whom were very nice rather predictably.

I've never met him but I've heard from numerous sources that Frank Skinner is a bit of dick which has always been a bit of disappointment to me because I rate him very highly as a comedian having seen him perform many times over the years. One of these reports came from a very established advertising photographer I used to print for (in the days of analogue film) . He was asked to take a portrait of Skinner for an editorial piece and it turned out to be one of the most difficult assignments he ever had ending up with Skinner ranting at his assistant. Most professional photographers tend to be pretty robust because of the nature of the business but this guy was another level. He was a hardened advertising photographer at the very top of the tree, used to big budgets, big pressure and technically brilliant, and yet I could tell this stressful episode left him deeply pissed off.

EDIT
Dave Mackay - Lovely witty bloke.
Prince Naseem - Arrogant prick.
Pat Jennings - Lovely man
Gerry Armstrong - Top bloke who never forgot his working class roots,no posh road " The Butts" in Turnford for him, the 100 acre estate in Hoddesdon was good enough.

Pat Jennings - massive hands. Picked up an entire shelf of baked beans in Tesco Hoddesdon (when there was one) with ONE HAND. (I may be exaggerating for comic effect).
David Seaman - lovely, gentle, respectful bloke, even though he dumped his wife for a younger model.
Sally Gunnell - can run really fast when she can't be arsed to give your kids an autograph.

Met Ian Botham at a party, a really top bloke, down to earth.

Tony Adams, after he'd retired, on a ferry to Ireland with his family. He was actually a really nice fella.
Apart from being a cunt

Jennings, Mullery, Chivers, Perryman, Peters and a few others (+ hanging out after games to get autographs when I was younger) all seemed nice, but don't recall ever meeting any players in a non-paid/hospitality capacity... Can't think of any other sport stars either.

Met a bunch of DJ-types over the years, who are usually pretty gracious when you're the one paying them.

Most rock-stars I've seen in public (Chris Cornell, Lars Ulrich) and approached just had their 'don't bother me now' head on... Big up Mike Muir from Suicidal Tendencies as he was at least extremely respectful when doing so.

Generally, I've just learned to leave 'celebs' alone when in public, and similarly never been one to particularly crave such interaction anyway.

I met Roger Lloyd-Pack once who was super nice tho'.

Last edited:
Curious if any of you have met any footballers (or maybe even other sports stars?) who left a bad impression (i.e were arrogant, rude etc). I'd love to kick things off but the one or two players who I've been lucky enough to get an autograph from have been nothing but nice (Klinnsmann in particular was a top bloke).

EDIT: Spoke to Robert Earnshaw over the phone a few times when I was in property management (he had a few properties in Cardiff). He was an arrogant, rude prick. Didn't like him at all.
Did you threaten to end him CG!!!

Gut him like a pig ?

I fuckin hope so This better not be a double hard internet persona

Met lots of spurs players over the years, all nice and polite, in fact never met one who is not a bell end ( or appeared to be)

Steve ovett was a misery guts , although Sharon Davies ( swimmer) was there which brightened up my day, as a 14 year old in swimming trunks having my photo with her......l went into full ' singing detective ' the greasing up scene with Jo Whaley.......' Think of woolwich, boring woolwich, one nil up , boring everyone.....'

Used to work in a pub that the Leeds players frequented back in the 90s. Most were fine, decent guys. However, David Batty was a bellend.

One Sunday lunch he and his family were in. He and his missus were swearing constantly and very loudly. Other customers had their families in and I had a few complaints, other bar staff wouldn’t go and ask him to tone it down, so I had to.

Went over to ask him if he would moderate his language, he looked at me and said “do you know who I am?”

I replied with “yes I do mr Batty, it was great seeing you get hammered by spurs the other day!” He shut up and we never saw him in the pub again.

Such a great story, and I'll go ahead and give you credit for it being true.

I will say though, that it's so great, that it's one of those where it for many would be the kind of story that rather ends with your actual words, being "later that night once I was in the comfort and safety of my bed, I thought, what I really should have said was..."

Myself included :llorishuh:

Such a great story, and I'll go ahead and give you credit for it being true.

I will say though, that it's so great, that it's one of those where it for many would be the kind of story that rather ends with your actual words, being "later that night once I was in the comfort and safety of my bed, I thought, what I really should have said was..."

Myself included :llorishuh:

Usually I would have been very polite, but he was such an arrogant arse hole. It did take me about ten minutes to screw my courage up to go and have words, i think I took that time to remember we’d recently smashed Leeds. Used to get lots of bants off the players.

The rest of the Leeds players were great, vinny Jones played up his ‘ard man image, but was fine with my dad giving him a bollocking for his dog running behind the bar and tripping him up.

Incidentally Michael duberry was a really nice dude, he got such crap from the fans, but I doubt any would have given it to his face, he was bloody huge!

Garry Bushell is a mate.
He's a journalist and TV presenter who was fairly well known a few years back*
Mik Whitnal from the Baby Shambles is a mate.Havent seen him for ages though

*The second sentence mainly for younger forumees

I remember him. In the paper a lot, Bushell on the box or something.

Stuart MacGill - met him last year in a pub in Sydney. Brilliant bloke, had a beer and a bit of banter about Shane Warne's hair loss.

Brendon McCullum - coached my cricket team once because he was my best friend at the time's uncle. I remember him bollocking my mate for being a little shit, but he deserved it. Very impressed he took the time out to help and seemed like a nice, down to earth guy.

Correct on both accounts
Sounds was superb.Featured bands i loved when none of the other music papers did.All run from above Covent garden station...Or the White Lion pub more often than not :)
I got Sounds every week, I actually delivered it to my house on my paper round, had it half read by the time I had finished 😆
Loved it, happy days. Much better than Smash Hits 😡 that was just like a glossy magazine version for all the TOTP teenyboppers

I got Sounds every week, I actually delivered it to my house on my paper round, had it half read by the time I had finished 😆
Loved it, happy days. Much better than Smash Hits 😡 that was just like a glossy magazine version for all the TOTP teenyboppers
If smash hits had photos of Beki Bondage in, like sounds did,I may have bought that as well :)

Back
Top Bottom