Fort Knox FC Vs Palace Sat 6th May 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I enjoyed today, although nervy in parts.

I liked Romero and Emerson. Good to see us trying new dynamics.

I still have a fundamental problem with a midfield two, and would rather see us sacrifice an attacker to get more control in the middle of the park.

But today was ok. An improvement.

Zaha is a penis.

I'm shocked you see Royal's position as a RCB and Romero as CCB. Yes, that was the build up play but to me the shape was clearly a back 4 with Royal at RB and Romero at RCB.

To me it's a clear defensive system change from 5-4-1/5-3-2 to 4-4-2.

I think I keep pushing back on this because the defensive system change was so stark and obvious, from a back 5 to a back 4. That's why I don't like referring to Royal and Romero as "slotting into" the RCB and CCB, respectively, because those defensive roles did not exist in our system today.

By the very nature of us being in possession; it was never a back 5.

(This also underlines why, when people say "ahhh, back 3 or back 5; same thing"; it isn't......)

I wondered if there was some asymmetric stuff going on, but I don’t think so, I think it was a 343. The front three rotated at times I think. Here’s a positional average map which seems to confirm that:

Certainly within possession the shape was 3-2-5/3-4-3 depending on how much Davies and Porro pushed up. The average position graph will be skewed by the fact that we had 57% possession though so it will favor our build up shape.

Out of possession and defending we were very obviously in a flat back 4.

Certainly within possession the shape was 3-2-5/3-4-3 depending on how much Davies and Porro pushed up. The average position graph will be skewed by the fact that we had 57% possession though so it will favor our build up shape.

Depends on when we were out of possession. After losing the ball Porro was in the press

Because they haven’t before and are better at full back or in a 3 in Davies case
But we’ve had Dier repeatedly shitting the bed. Davies would absolutely be a better choice CB in a 3 or 4. Don’t be afraid to try players in new roles, especially when they’ve shown promise in actually defending well. Neither will be the next VVD, but I have every faith they would have done better than an out of form Dier

Tbh I didnt know dier was dropped until I saw him on sub bench later in game. Hes had it too cosy being in first team last few years. Need to sell him in the summer. Quite a bit of deadwood to shift.
As bad as he has been recently, I wound probably keep as squad player for versatility and home grown factor. Would rather lose Sanchez and I don’t think we will be buying as many as 2 centre backs cos you know Levy

But that’s same as always, no? A 343 can look like an asymmetric 442 in certain situations, depending on which side is being attacked/countered.

I looked back to find a positional map under Conte, with similar personnel and similar opposition. This is from Forest home, with exactly the same players except Royal/Dier.
It’s almost identical.

One of those games where you just have to take the positives . Romero, Royal very good and nice to see Porro playing further forward . Definitely a better defensive performance all round and we all know we can rely on Harry to get his goal .Happy with the three points , with City winning and hopefully the Geordies beating the goons tomorrow , could be a very good footballing week end .
COYS

No Dier and a clean sheet....hmm....

Calculating Zach Galifianakis GIF by filmeditor

took Mason to figure this out...

But that’s same as always, no? A 343 can look like an asymmetric 442 in certain situations, depending on which side is being attacked/countered.

I looked back to find a positional map under Conte, with similar personnel and similar opposition. This is from Forest home, with exactly the same players except Royal/Dier.
It’s almost identical.

System change in terms of what players did but formation basically the same.

much less predictable. Much better defenders on the pitch with Royal and Davies.

Back
Top Bottom