Future Captain?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who should be our next captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I honestly think that Kyle Walker should be considered at some point. Not yet, mind, but possibly in the next 3 - 5 seasons

I've given the guy plenty of flak in the past, I've called him immature, whiny, and thought he was the most dickhead-like player at Spurs. But recently, he's seemed to mature on the pitch and he puts a constant shift in, always working hard. Been our best player these last few matches and I don't think it's a form thing either, because he hasn't been spectacular, just really solid. That's the kind of work ethic you need from a captain.

That paired with the fact that he obviously loves the club, he seems pretty well liked among the players, and he's confident enough to confront the referee, or a teammate, makes me think that in a few years time he might be more than capable of filling the role. I think Hodgson with the "hippy crack" (thanks Daily Mail) thing really gave him a kick up the arse.

In saying that, he'd probably have to give up his love of #top #banter. So maybe it's a few years off yet.

@ pompower I was thinking the same thing. Not yet, but possibly in a few years. As you point out, he seems well liked by everyone, I suspect a big part of that is because he integrates himself better than most (backed up by the fact that he seems to have a bond with Lamela (someone who doesn't speak the language and is clearly taking time to settle in new surroundings)).

For me he needs to become a leader on the pitch before we can consider him for captaincy.

I didn't, no, but his attitude at Spurs is not what i'd want from a captain. Moaning at being played at left back
and he's quite petulant on the pitch. I think he'd be more of a 'lead by example' type of captain whereas someone like Sandro/Dawson/Lloris would be a driving force behind the team.

The Belgium international, who has also played in midfield during this career, insists he is happy to play wherever Villas-Boas instructs him.

"I’m very happy, everything is solved," Vertonghen toldTelesport TV.

"There are always words taken out of context and interpreted differently in the press. But I had a good conversation with the manager and everything is okay now.

"I’m happy with my role as left-back."

"I’m happy with my role as left-back."
I, for one, thought he was excellent against Newcastle. He plays that attacking LB role brilliantly, and offers more defensively and physically than Rose. But I do prefer him at CB, one of the best in his position in the league easily.

The more he can get forward the better, because we all know he can strike a ball from distance.

I must admit I like having an outfield player as captain. Don't know why - maybe because they are more involved in play, able to communicate with the team easier, talk to the ref etc.

My vote goes to Vertonghen.

Interesting to see people feel being a captain suddenly increases bigger clubs' attraction in said player. I personally don't feel that makes a blind bit of difference.

Lloris plays in the back line basically anyway. But yeah Verts for me.

I personally don't agree with Keepers being captain. If it starts to get a bit tetchy out on the field, players aren't going to be calmed by a guy who can't leave his box to go and talk to them. Similar with when the ref needs a talking down...I don't want Hugo sprinting the length of the pitch to tell the ref to put the yellow card away.

Vertonghen gets my vote (though I'd be happy to reconsider Kaboul when he proves he is likely to play most of the games in a season)

Voted hugo but if sandro was on the list he'd edge. Badically we have a team full of captians but no glory icing on the cake no need to wory about captains wheres the goals

I think captains need to be ever present, big personalities without being comedic - which rules Sandro and Walker out. Can't be getting merked by your captain.

Vertonghen is perfect. Lloris too. Sandro is a great leader but there is room for great leaders in a team; they don't all have to wear the armband.

Though I have to echo what @ Thelonious Thelonious has said - how relevant is captaincy to anything?

Lennon's worn the armband before, for fucks sake. As did Modric!

Good shout but that's because we have devalued the armband by giving it to those players.

If you look at teams that have won the premier league you can see the captains lifting the trophy.

The likes of Keane, Kompany and dare I say Adams/Vieira they are more than just coin tossers.

I didn't, no, but his attitude at Spurs is not what i'd want from a captain. Moaning at being played at left back and he's quite petulant on the pitch. I think he'd be more of a 'lead by example' type of captain whereas someone like Sandro/Dawson/Lloris would be a driving force behind the team.
Don't get drawn into the media bollocks spouted around. He mentioned he didn't like playing constantly in a position that he isn't natural in, but, understands that he is the only cover for the position due to injuries. The media twisted what he meaned by saying he was complaining.

Don't get drawn into the media bollocks spouted around. He mentioned he didn't like playing constantly in a position that he isn't natural in, but, understands that he is the only cover for the position due to injuries. The media twisted what he meaned by saying he was complaining.
No....the English media twisting words???

Vertonghen as captain for me with Vlad as vice, I know he isn't quite there yet but we are not talking about being captain in the immediate future, or have I missed something? Vlad seems to have all the potential of being a great leader (reminds me of a certain King Ledley)

Is likely longevity at the club a factor in whether or not we make a player captain? It was pointed out to me that Vlad has moved club every year or so for the last five years, while Vertonghen is still relatively young and could easily attract the attention of a Barca or a Real...obviously Lloris could move on if he wanted to as well.

Just canvassing for opinions.

Back
Top Bottom