Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My first language is Italian, and I have always thought that it must be very difficult for a British guy to learn any of the Latin derived languages, especially for a footballer, as they can survive without having to learn a language at a high level
Yes, especially the grammar part which is a lot more complicated than English.

The easy thing with Spanish (I think it might be the same with Italian too, not so much Portuguese or French tho) is that pronunciation is easy - once you learn how letters and combinations of letters are pronounced you can say literally any word you come across - your accent might be really strong (like Bale's and Beckham's) but you will be understood. The pronunciation of letters never changes.

By contrast, pronunciation is a never-ending problem for foreign speakers of English, even after years of learning. For example...

6a00d8341d417153ef01b8d1b5b40a970c-600wi

The easy thing with Spanish (I think it might be the same with Italian too, not so much Portuguese or French tho) is that pronunciation is easy - once you learn how letters and combinations of letters are pronounced you can say literally any word you come across - your accent might be really strong (like Bale's and Beckham's) but you will be understood. The pronunciation of letters never changes.

By contrast, pronunciation is a never-ending problem for foreign speakers of English, even after years of learning. For example...

Speak for yourself, Bill. Up in Castille you speak how it's written. Here in Murcia we don't pronounce half the letters!

My Spanish is shit (still I am able to survive if I go there and I have even worked there), but I think that Italian would be slightly easier than Spanish for a foreigner, as the grammar has similar complexity, but at least in Italian sounds are always the same: if you read something you know exactly how to pronounce it, and it's always the same sound

Yes, the difficulty of learning English for me was the pronunciation, and (hopefully very occasionally still is), after 18 years... The example you made is great and is making me laugh. Another classic for me is "cannot" and "cunt": I like to think that I have mastered the difference (after all I still have a job :levylol: )
I still have a fairly strong accent, though, but people seem to be ok with that

My Spanish is shit (still I am able to survive if I go there and I have even worked there), but I think that Italian would be slightly easier than Spanish for a foreigner, as the grammar has similar complexity, but at least in Italian sounds are always the same: if you read something you know exactly how to pronounce it, and it's always the same sound

Yes, the difficulty of learning English for me was the pronunciation, and (hopefully very occasionally still is), after 18 years... The example you made is great and is making me laugh. Another classic for me is "cannot" and "cunt": I like to think that I have mastered the difference (after all I still have a job :levylol: )
I still have a fairly strong accent, though, but people seem to be ok with that
That was the point I was trying to make, that Italian and Spanish are easy to pronounce because they're so regular and "phonetic" - I wasn't 100% sure about Italian, thanks for confirming!

I liked the can't/cunt thing made me laugh, my wife throws up her hands at that as well!

Incidentally, "foreign" accents are no longer frowned upon in the teaching world and beyond, they're now given the same regional status and respect as are the various accents of English spoken by native speakers. The days of insisting on BBC English/Received Pronunciation (received from who, the ruling class? - little bit of politics there!) are thankfully long gone

That was the point I was trying to make, that Italian and Spanish are easy to pronounce because they're so regular and "phonetic" - I wasn't 100% sure about Italian, thanks for confirming!

I liked the can't/cunt thing made me laugh, my wife throws up her hands at that as well!

Incidentally, "foreign" accents are no longer frowned upon in the teaching world and beyond, they're now given the same regional status and respect as are the various accents of English spoken by native speakers. The days of insisting on BBC English/Received Pronunciation (received from who, the ruling class? - little bit of politics there!) are thankfully long gone
I quite like accents (English accent in Italian is great!), but I do my best to make myself clear (which honestly happens almost always) and to speak English to the highest level possible. Sometimes I listen to foreign people who don't really make any effort to learn English to a decent level, and I feel sorry for you guys

Are you a teacher?

I loov the way Rafa Benitez pronounces 'Club' as 'Cloob', because he learned it up north. I also like the way European footballers who play up north develop a 50/50 mix of their accent + Manc or Scouse.

Jan Molby was a superb example of Scouse Danish and Oli Gunnar S used to be quite funny too.

I quite like accents (English accent in Italian is great!), but I do my best to make myself clear (which honestly happens almost always) and to speak English to the highest level possible. Sometimes I listen to foreign people who don't really make any effort to learn English to a decent level, and I feel sorry for you guys
Whereabouts in Italy you from mate?

Any ITK about Belotti?
I cannot see him coming. Hey is the pillar of Torino and they would be mad to sell him, unless it's for a quick and overpriced sale (not loan). Also, everything has gone totally quiet in the last few days . Of course, there are still a few weeks, but I think we will get somebody else

Back
Top Bottom