Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What’s holding him back from making runs like that 5-6 times a game though? I’m ok with him being an older slower player, but he shows his pace sometimes and it’s frustrating that he doesn’t use it more often.

Id honestly rather him get tired or injured while busting a gut to score for spurs than the shadow of himself we’re currently getting.

I find it hard to believe that he isn’t already fully fit, this is the best we are going to get it seems. . .
I get you´re saying.

Bale said a couple of times that his objective is to be 100% fit for the Euros - which is something I didn´t love to hear, by the way. But it´s December, so I guess we can still give him the benefit of the doubt in relation to his fitness levels. By February-March he should be offering much more to the team - if everything goes well.

Considering how well we are doing without him at the moment (in big games), and how difficult (and long) this season is going to be, I still think having a player like Bale around is a luxury we can afford.

Surely his not using us as a vechole to be 100% fit for euros? His had ample time now to fit. His been injury free since Late September he just needed to get match fitness. His had enough games to get fit and be putting in some stella performances. Will give him some more time but surely he should be giving us so much more. I just don’t see the effort in his play and he doesn’t make himself available for the ball. Very underwhelming so far. Today he was part of front 6 barring Kane everyone wanted to see and it was so disappointing in terms attacking play from all of them except ndombele. Apart from the two pens and counter attack goal we hardly created any chances.

He's played 451 minutes for us this season, plus he's played for Wales. I'm not entertaining any more suggestions that he needs more time to work on his fitness.

Bale will be fine. It will click at some point. Probably once fans are back and he has had a few games in a row in the Prem. dont forget, it wasn't just him below parr. Put him in big games with big players and he will cone good. But he hasn't been ready yet.

Bale will be fine. It will click at some point. Probably once fans are back and he has had a few games in a row in the Prem. dont forget, it wasn't just him below parr. Put him in big games with big players and he will cone good. But he hasn't been ready yet.
What has he done to deserve a few games in a row in the Prem, be a big name?

What has he done to deserve a few games in a row in the Prem, be a big name?

to be fair mate, what has anyone else done ? Sonny and Kane cement their place for obvious reasons, so there’s a space going to play with them. Lucas hasn’t pulled up any trees this season. Bergwijn has been pretty average. Ali is clearly not going to get many opportunities. Who else has shown they can take the spot ? Vinicius has done well when called upon, so might get it eventually. I think Bale should start a few Prem games.

Last edited:
Throw him in the starting line-up for a big Prem game that matters, like on Sunday.

We've predominantly seen him in EL games against teams of farmers, playing in a patchwork team predominantly made up of reserves, with one or two regular league starters. Depending on the type of player, that might be quite a hard environment to drop in to and hit the ground running.

Play him alongside our best players in a proper match and lets see if he shines then. I think we'll quickly see a different player who gets lifted nearer the level he ought to be by the occasion

to be fair mate, what has anyone else done ? Sonny and Kane cement their place for obvious reasons, so there’s a space going to play with them. Lucas hasn’t pulled up any trees this season. Bergwijn has been pretty average. Ali is clearly not going to get many opportunities. Who else has shown they can take the spot ? Vinicius has done well when called upon, so might get it eventually. I think Bale should start a few Prem games.
Bergwijn and Lucas both do defensively more than Bale, and Alli looked better against Ludo than Bale has in any game this season. Yes awful opposition, but Bale has had plenty of chances against awful opposition himself and has looked average.

He has to start against Woolwich. If the NLD doesn't get him going nothing will.

Bale should not be rewarded for being lazy. I have no doubt he was one of the players Mourinho was talking about when he said some players feel like they shouldn't be here [on Thursday nights]. When Bale is willing to put in 100% effort on a Thursday, then we can talk about him starting a big league game. Bergiwjn is running much harder than him at the moment and will almost certainly keep his place.

His place in the starting XI isn't guaranteed and nor should it be, but he's still got a role to play as we will have a lot of games if we progress far in the cups.

It's way too early to be using words like flop. Plus he's a loan signing anyway. Win-win in my book.

He has not been an asset and I'm not sure he will be fine. He is starting to look the embodiment of a player that should be in China. They say never go back well perhaps he shouldn't have. Loved him but he has to do way more.
That one header against Brighton aside..hes done absolutely nothing to warrant a place in the first 11. For the wages hes on, hes got to try a lot harder. All this happy laughy training sessions arent really what he gets paid for.

I really liked Bale´s movement that ended in a failed assist to Sonny. Not only because he "wasn´t selfish", but because of his run. Fast, precise, from the right, in behind their last defensive line - with the ball perfectly controlled.

That´s what we want.
if it had been perfectly controlled it would have been in the net
one way or another.

I think the 'he's not match fit' excuse must be receding as he's playing plenty of games.

He needs to justify his 300K a week salary and at the moment he's no better than Lucas.

Incidentally, where is Lamela these day? Could have done with him stirring things up last night?

Bale should not be rewarded for being lazy. I have no doubt he was one of the players Mourinho was talking about when he said some players feel like they shouldn't be here [on Thursday nights]. When Bale is willing to put in 100% effort on a Thursday, then we can talk about him starting a big league game. Bergiwjn is running much harder than him at the moment and will almost certainly keep his place.
I don't disagree broadly, but I think it's a confidence issue with him so I think he needs a match where he needs some motivation, and he isn't going to get that from the fans.

People forget that his main mission is to help us win a trophy. It's a long season and I think he could just be pacing himself. He's got the most trophies out of anyone on the team including Jose. Lets just believe in him and his winning experience and see what he comes up with especially in crucial moments when he'll be needed the most. That winner against Brighton is exactly what we needed at that time when we were struggling for a goal. It's been the difference for us as far as being on top of the table or tied for second with Chelsea chasing LP.

Back
Top Bottom