Gareth Southgate - Yay or Nay?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you have belief in him?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Playing games will help him mature at International level. He was misused by Southgate like some other of our attackers. Look at Sancho. He came in for one game and played well. Looked a threat. And then was dropped and barely kicked a ball after. Foden started the first two games. Was bright against Croatia. Poor against Scotland like every other single player. And then played about half an hour in the remaining games. Yeah, he couldn't play last night but he wouldn't have started anyway even if he was available.
Oh he needs to play, no doubt about that. England have some brilliant young talent playing at top clubs here and abroad. Time to tweak the system and get them playing. They've had a tournament experience now.

And as you say it's easily arguable that it should have happened at this one.

Before the final he was starting to win over a great deal of people. His decisions were proving correct and he had got us to a final for the first time since before I was born.

I absolutely have faith in him and that he can take the next step. In his presser this morning he talked about progression and having a vision.

World Cup Semi - Euro Final. Seems like progress to me.

For an England manager, he's been the most successful since Ramsey. Of course he should stay.

He will be at the World Cup and he has done well however that shouldn’t take away from the issue surrounding our players. By the World Cup we potentially in Kane, Sancho, Grealish and Foden will have the best front 4 combo of any country in the world on paper at least.

Southgate has built a great defence but he has to show something he has not done before in his managerial career and that is to utilise our greatest strength our attack. If he can’t do that we won’t reach our potential. This is the clear issue facing England going forward.

I like him a lot but I don't think we'll win a major tournament under him, he's still too reactive. Last night's match was very much like watching us under Mourinho last season - 1-0 up, then sit back for the majority of the game inviting pressure before a late rally that comes too late to change much.

I just think around the (well earned) praise for his demeanour, man management and 'correct' messaging that it is remembered that reasonable criticism of his tactics and strategies is still allowed. That said we've made tremendous progress so I kind of regret casting my 'no' vote, I find it tricky. Of course he will stay, a semi and final buys him a few years' worth of tournaments.

Best England Manager since Ramsay, that's FIFTY FIVE YEARS!!!

World Cup semi and Euro's final! This coming off the back of a team that got beat by Iceland immediately followed another who just a couple of weeks into the job was negotiating dodgy backhanders to line his own pockets whilst swigging pints of Blue Nunn.

Do me a favour.

Best England Manager since Ramsay, that's FIFTY FIVE YEARS!!!

World Cup semi and Euro's final! This coming off the back of a team that got beat by Iceland immediately followed another who just a couple of weeks into the job was negotiating dodgy backhanders to line his own pockets whilst swigging pints of Blue Nunn.

Do me a favour.

He's certainly light years ahead of the last few post holders.

I have a lot of time for Roy as it happens, very intelligent guy and good football man who wasn't suited to the job for whatever reason.

He's already taken us forward, I'm sure he didn't say to the players, sit deep and keep giving the ball away.
We don't have a divine right to win tournaments. Italy, Germany and Brazil tend to win the tournaments. Holland have had some great sides and never won the world cup, Portugal have never won it, Spain have won it once but their record in world cups is piss poor. This side will go down in history as the second best ever in terms of what they achieved.

He's certainly light years ahead of the last few post holders.

I have a lot of time for Roy as it happens, very intelligent guy and good football man who wasn't suited to the job for whatever reason.
I thought Hodgson did a very good job off the pitch so to speak, tacitly felt he wasn't quite right. I thought his approach was right for instance to have England attempt to play like Spurs did when he had 6 Spurs players in the team, the problem was you still have to know how to coach a high-pressing team, I think people are beginning to see now that it's not about just telling players "press", when it's perfected it's highly co-ordinated, with triggers and traps being set by players, there's a real understanding with the players of where and when to do it, the angles they press with. He (and Neville) didn't have any idea how to apply this to the team.

Can we be more expansive? Yes absolutely but if we were would we lose more games? I say probably yes.

I love attacking football, I think I'm consistent in saying this is how I want Spurs to play but I have zero expectation that this is how England (or any International team should play) and that's because the Manager of an International side simply doesn't have the squad of players together long enough to coach these patterns of play. Historically almost all International tournaments are won by fairly pragmatic teams or teams that could play more expansively given the talent available to them opt for a more pragmatic game.

The excitement of International Tournament football is not about the performances but the festival that surrounds it. That said, I think this tournament we've just seen has had the highest quality of football I've ever seen from any international tournament I've ever seen previously.

This is a tough one because I think he is a frankly wonderful man. Kind, moral decent a person who exemplifies the best of the English. He reminds me of all the really great teachers who change lives. That said he is a defensive coach, and those instincts have held us back. I think he deserves has earned a tilt and the world Cup.

This is a tough one because I think he is a frankly wonderful man. Kind, moral decent a person who exemplifies the best of the English. He reminds me of all the really great teachers who change lives. That said he is a defensive coach, and those instincts have held us back. I think he deserves has earned a tilt and the world Cup.
I've been thinking about this, and the maxim that defence wins championships in just about every sport.

Is there an example of team who's won WC/Euros without an outstanding defence? None come to mind

As a non-England fan, I think he's certainly earned the opportunity to manage for the World Cup, and barring a disaster there, should keep the job.

I think you've all rightly pointed out that he's not going to change, he's not going to become a proactive manager, and he's not going to set up teams to attack. It's got to be really frustrating when you have so much attacking talent and you know it won't be fully utilized.

It definitely is an effective to win games, especially in international knock out tournaments.

That all said, the thing that would really gnaw at me in the back of my head as an England fan is just how perfectly setup this tournament was for England to win. Huge home field advantage, no major injuries, very easy draw, some major rivals (France for example) getting knocked out early, etc. and Southgate couldn't get it done. I know your talent will age more which will be good, but you're likely not going to get an easier run for a title. If Southgate couldn't do it now, I'd worry he'd never be able to.

Still, you need to keep him unless another, clearly better, option says they'd be willing to do it.

I've been thinking about this, and the maxim that defence wins championships in just about every sport.

Is there an example of team who's won WC/Euros without an outstanding defence? None come to mind

In fairness, and he does deserve a lot of credit for the England defense, what top attacks have we actually faced? Germany started with Werner and Denmark had Dolsberg who is hardly a top striker.

Had Southgate got more out of the likes of Foden and Sancho we would have won the tournament, and not just be brave runners-up.

Back
Top Bottom