Gareth Southgate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nice bloke. Did well to get the players actually wanting to play with and for each other. But is tactically inept, and his subs are often bewildering.

All in all we should thank him for doing a decent job but move him on. He's a Championship level manager that is clearly holding back some wonderful attacking players.
If he can see us through the World Cup in 2022 his timing to manage us in the championship will be pretty good. Few months off to recharge his batteries , hide from the irate English public and the plastic surgery to settle down he will be good to go. I think he could even get us into the play offs if we keep Harry and Son

Southgate came in after the media did a 'sting' on Big Sam. They thought Southgate was weak and they could manipulate him easier than Sam (also Sam hates Woolwich). But at the beginning Southgate picked his own players and England had nearly 7 in the team and the media hated it.

But the FA undermined England by putting in anti-Spurs man Steve Holland from Chelsea which Daniel Levy objected to as a conflict of interest. The FA ignored that and now Southgate has become this weed the media wanted, picking the players they want, only from top teams with the odd exception, and not picking players on form as he did before.

Southgate is making stupid substitutions and playing ultra negative which is killing England. He then throws his star man Harry Kane to the wolves by subbing him (twice) just when he might become more effective, when opponents are tired and nervous late in the game.

He's fallen for the hype of Mason Mount who has yet to do anything of any note and I predict he will lose to the Czechs if he plays the same as before.

The media will try their best to get the last Tottenham player out of England, the same man who got the Golden Boot and Golden Assist while the press picked DeBryne for his under-par season instead of England's captain.

Btw, I really like Gareth Southgate as a person. Think he conducts himself impeccably in a very challenging role. I just don't think he's that great a manager. I'd like to see the lads let off their leash at some point. Maybe not this tournament, as it's going well, but next.

Our attacking talent is incredible. But we play defensively. I do get it, I just feel there is so much more in there.

Rice-Mount
Sancho-Foden-Grealish
Kane

That just looks epic.

Gotta wonder what Eric Dier and Dele Alli are thinking after coasting for a season and effectively sacrificing their places.

I think Bellingham will be huge for England going forward, a new Bryan Robson.

Credit to the bloke. He is doing good things in a way that an intelligent individual as he is can.

He seems approachable but very much the manager.

He obviously is looking at the team dynamic and who has that confidence and edge but not the arrogance. That alone maybe means Grealish off the bench is better. He is arrogant ( nothing wrong with thar per se) but it has limitations, so maybe better to bring him on when legs are tiring and when he can draw fouls and see passes.

When you then consider who Southgate has got in.defence you can see exactly what he wants. Calmness and boldness in possession but also some experience of being winners .and in Walker, possibly the best right back in the world right now. That guy at 31 years of age is a physical freak in the Cafu category of super athletes.

If Southgate stays collected and if he can make sure the players aren't afraid of the prize then in this tournament it will take a very good manager to oversee a side to beat him and this England team..

Last edited:
I watched those tournaments and agree we were impressive. We were also, by some distance imo, the strongest side on paper.

I think Southgate has been blessed in his tenure with England to have the most talented set of English players since 1990.
I don't know if most talented. 2006-8 had some good players in it, also the 96 squad was very decent. The difference here this is the first England squad in a while that is also a *team*. No divas, and a lot of good faith between the players. You can't help but feeling Southgate has a part in that.

He is literally the blueprint of an international manager. Sheer class. Not sure I'd like him at Spurs, not totally convinced he'd be good at 'big club' management. But he is the man for England. Long may he reign.

Did a decent job for the while steadying the ship and getting the team actually wanting to play with and for each other. But let's not forget that he's done absolutely nothing in club management and got sacked at Middlesbrough. Would love to see Wenger in the role now - Someone that will get the most out of all of our attacking talent, which we have plenty. To only score 3 goals in 4 Nations League games which includes two games against Denmark and one against Iceland has taken some doing by Southgate.

Fucking Gary. He picks lineups based on tomorrow's tabloid headlines and is playing to keep his job and that is about it. I'm sure he feels like a big boy after not bowing to pressure from Johnny Foreigner to not play Kane in meaningless friendlies.

Kane was a nailed on for 90 minutes regardless of the result or injury. His ego is embarrassing considering his managerial pedigree and with everything going on in the world of Big Picture football, he typifies everything wrong with football. Zero common sense and is either out of his depth or playing for a golden handshake.

The Ron Greenwood to Brian Clough - pick your choice for the latter.

The positive is he won't say or do anything embarrassing - which doesn't mean he's any good! England need someone with Southgate's demeanour who can actually manage a football team.

You just know Levy is watching this match tonight, loving the absolute horseshit performance whilst being fully erect over Southgate.

Fully expecting the clueless bald cunt to make him our new manager.

Examples of tactical ineptitude...

He played Trippier, our best RB at LB whilst Luke Shaw, our best player last night, didn't play.

Trippier and Shaw were phenomenal in their correct positions last night.

He also once put Harry Kane on corners.
Which Southgate managed game was Harry Kane put on corners?

Hodgson and Allardyce did but I'm not sure Southgate ever put Kane on corners.

Back
Top Bottom