Gedson Fernandes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The low loan fee seems odd if they rate him at 50 million Euros, this is a strange strange deal if you ask me and I think the most likely outcome is he becomes a bang average stop gap which is still z very decent deal for the cheap loan fee.

I fancy it's a deal that suits all parties short and long term. Benfica thought they had a gem last year and slapped a 130m buyout clause into his contract, this season he hasn't played as much so Benfica probably feel like they missed their chance to sell him last time around. We need a loan for numbers due to Sissoko getting injured and have pressing issues in the squad to face in the summer so a loan that's as cheap as chips at gives Gedson a new lease of life, that gets him close to his parents again and at worst for Benfica, jogs the memories of teams who may have forgot about him. He joins a physical league, gets to learn from the likes of Mourinho, Ndombele, Sissoko etc and will no doubt return a little more mature if it doesn't work out well for him here.

A big fee on the option side probably gives Benfica a greater opportunity to sell him for something not far off of that figure elsewhere as there are idiot clubs and people who automatically associate a big fee with someone clearly being a better player. A great deal for us in the short term I have absolutely no doubt though.

Gedson isn't a DM. Bloke is an attacking box-to-box in a midfield 3. Essentially he plays Ndombele's role but not as well
:thumbup:
I'm curious as to how many games the lad has played for Benfica, seems to be a lot of discrepancy.

Last season 2 Inters, 34 club, 1 goal 3 yellow cards
This season 9 apps, no goals 1 yellow.

This is a magnificent signing!! I can't believe my eyes! What a statement. A shitter who can't even get in the Benefica team since October. Oh joy. What a time to be alive!!!

This is truly ONE FOR THE FUTURE. Luckily we don't need any players NOW.

A happy day for all Spurs fans.
Jesus, if we'd have signed Ronaldo & Modric you'd probably say they were past it...

Salah (if he'd even consider it) would just be a 'Liverpool reject' ...and I doubt you'd wanna go anywhere NEAR 'Gooner' Aubamayang...

So, out of interest who WOULD you have?? That's REALISTIC for us to sign?

:thumbup:

Last season 2 Inters, 34 club, 1 goal 3 yellow cards
Well the figures for this season don't tally with Benfica's official website, which you would assume is the go-to source.

Like I say, there's a wild discrepancy between figures, which makes me suspicious of posts that say "Well, he's only played x games" or "He hasn't played since xx/xx"

I fancy it's a deal that suits all parties short and long term. Benfica thought they had a gem last year and slapped a 130m buyout clause into his contract, this season he hasn't played as much so Benfica probably feel like they missed their chance to sell him last time around. We need a loan for numbers due to Sissoko getting injured and have pressing issues in the squad to face in the summer so a loan that's as cheap as chips at gives Gedson a new lease of life, that gets him close to his parents again and at worst for Benfica, jogs the memories of teams who may have forgot about him. He joins a physical league, gets to learn from the likes of Mourinho, Ndombele, Sissoko etc and will no doubt return a little more mature if it doesn't work out well for him here.

A big fee on the option side probably gives Benfica a greater opportunity to sell him for something not far off of that figure elsewhere as there are idiot clubs and people who automatically associate a big fee with someone clearly being a better player. A great deal for us in the short term I have absolutely no doubt though.

Short term it's no risk at all and I think that's all it will ever be, Levy would be all over it with 8-15 million offers now if he thought he was that good for the bigger upside later and Benfica would want a bigger loan fee or a big transfer fee now if they thought he was that good, it's a strange deal from all parties and a risky deal for Benfica, it will take some going for a Benfica fringe player to become a bonafide 50 million Euro player in 18 months.

I wonder how our fans would react if we loaned Foyth or Tanganga to a bigger club in a similar deal.

Well the figures for this season don't tally with Benfica's official website, which you would assume is the go-to source.

Like I say, there's a wild discrepancy between figures, which makes me suspicious of posts that say "Well, he's only played x games" or "He hasn't played since xx/xx"

This website has the same stats as soccerbase, but adds 2 assists.
Last season 34 club, 1 goal 3 yellow cards
Total 43 club apps.

Difficult one to get carried away with tbh, is there underlying reasons other than how good he is why he only appears to be on the fringes of Benfica's first team and the fact that they are happy to let him have an 18 month affair with another club?

I don’t know anything about him other than what’s being said on the radio but he’s supposed to be like Winks but apparently he can pass the ball towards the Opposition goal
#bonus

Our scouting is absolutely shite so with that in mind I don't have very high hopes for Gedson.
Edit: He's a tidy enough player. Better than Winks, Dier and perhaps Sissoko so he is improving the squad and the team.

Last edited:
It seems some have already written him off while others are maybe a little too optimistic. We just signed him. We'll get a better idea of him after he gets some starts and settles into the team. Naturally, I hope he turns out a success.

He looks like a much better dribbler than winks. And better shot....
Maybe dembeles heir.
Well he definitely needs to do something else with it...
'Cos at the moment, he looks like Eraserhead!

GettyImages-1150209548.jpg

Eraserhead-3-Copyright-Absurda.jpg

Oh..... HEIR!

Worth remembering:

Metatarsal FractureJul 16, 2019Sep 18, 201964 days7

Missed the first 7 games of the season due to injury and it seems like his first serious one. Probably looking at around mid October that he would have got any kind of momentum going so to write him off because of how this season has gone and not last isn't really fair. Kids 21 so let's give him the required time to bed in.

Back
Top Bottom