Gent v Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let's get it straight the Europa League is a European trophy that has Champions League qualification as a prize. FA Cup greatest domestic Cup back in the day consigns us to playing Europa League football. I know which I currently rather win. Nice final in European city or Wembley which is currently our second home.

Its a crazy argument....why would anyone not want to win a trophy?!
People acting like we are 1 point behind Chelsea with 3 games left.

I hope Im not patronising here, just trying to clarify the heartfelt emotion to win a bloody trophy ...
The sentiment towards winning a trophy is to show strength in the cup completion and relegate PL to a lower priority as in trying to win it. Of corse get the obligatory top 4, which is possible on the back of prioritising the cup competitions. Rotation of squad and when to rest is key? I feel we can put all our efforts onto the cups and still give the PL a go. we mustn't forget we are a decent side and has a decent-ish squad.
Going strong on Thursday doesn't mean we can't go strong against Stoke 9 days later.

We can rotate for Fulham, and the second leg could be a walk in the park if for ONCE we just take advantage of a situation that favors us and take a later stage cup game seriously.

I see the value in top 4, and want to finish 2nd but not at the expense of a trophy. I'd be happy to come 4th, behind Woolwich again, as EL champions.

Is the argument in some quarters we must prioritise the title, or second?

That would seem to say we can't even finish 4th if we take the cups seriously. What kind of squad is this?

Last edited:
Going strong on Thursday doesn't mean we can't go strong against Stoke 9 days later.

We can rotate for Fulham, and the second leg could be a walk in the park if for ONCE we just take advantage of a situation that favors us and take a later stage cup game seriously.

I see the value in top 4, and want to finish 2nd but not at the expense of a trophy. I'd be happy to come 4th, behind Woolwich again, as EL champions.

Is the argument in some quarters we must prioritise the title, or second?

That would seem to say we can't even finish 4th if we take the cups seriously. What kind of squad is this?
If we put this tie out of sight on Thursday night, then the first team could conceivably have a breather for 2 games & over a week, rather than needing a result on 23rd at Wembley & having to play Stoke a couple of days later.
Plus we have the possibility of having Rose, Verts & Lamela back by then.

This whole setup would benefit from winning a trophy, manager and players.
No clearer signs of progression on a career path than some silverware.

Untitled.png

The LilyWhite/s House has our backs.
Looks legit, all except his hair.
Obvious fake & photoshopped.

Yeah let's run our team into the ground in a meaningless match, good idea!
Why is it meaningless? We used to take the forerunner of the competition seriously. It's two thirds of our bag in Europe. When did we get so picky? I think it's this attitude that's led to our meagre trophy haul in the last 20-30 years. We used to try to win everything we were in.

Who said anything about the UEFA Cup? On Thursday we play a match in the Europa League; a significant downgrade compared to what the UEFA Cup used to be.
Except it isn't a downgrade in any sense of the word, in fact its harder to win now with a better standard of teams taking part.

It's only in England that this line gets trotted out, in Spain it's given the status it deserves. Try telling Aleti and Sevilla it's a mickey mouse competition.

And yes, its the UEFA Cup, it says so on the trophy...

FC+Porto+v+Braga+UEFA+Europa+League+Final+8aq5Z5f9eP5l.jpg

Still think we will beat Fulham and have the chance to rest a few players, plus if we get a result in Gent on Thursday we will be able to afford to rest the majorty of players for the home leg, no reason we can't win the FA cup, all about seeing who we would get in the next round, but agree that Europe should take priority, but all depends on the draw.........
I also believe that success in Europe's second trophy would work wonders for attracting top talent in the summer. UEFA cup success for a young squad would suggest even bigger success in the immediate future.

Yep, of course. No hypocrisy as well. Because at that point as in all cases that is the ends. Unfortunately I will not support the means because it is too many games for a very unlikely outcome.
Glory hunter at its finest.

I might not watch the season unfold next year......just the last game if it's a title decider then go nuts if we win......yay! Look at me and my cool team.

Shambolic. Why are people who don't want us in the EL cos it's so shit making so many posts in the Gent thread by the way?
We really don't need people celebrating a bad result, or playing down a good one, so try and stay away on Thursday

Back
Top Bottom