Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe injury I don’t know. He was in my view our best player last season even if that season was a hard one, hasn’t looked the same this one.

Last edited:
almost bottled the counter?? how did he do that? great first touch from a ball bouncing into him, dribbles it smoothly up the other end and times his pass to son with perfection...?? how the fuck is that bottling it?
He had Bergwin on his right if he had passed it quicker then he’s 1 on 1 with the keeper and an easier goal than Kane. See the replay. Kane made that goal look easy it was tough angle to score from.

He had Bergwin on his right if he had passed it quicker then he’s 1 on 1 with the keeper and an easier goal than Kane. See the replay. Kane made that goal look easy it was tough angle to score from.
Lo Celso did nothing wrong.

The easier ball I believe was Son reversing back into the path of Gio for an open goal but he opted for Kane and the rest is history.

Gio is obviously a great talent. Good technically, can burst away from people (we hae very few who can do this), eye for a pass and goal. Has had a couple of poor games recently but is just coming back from injury, are people really letting that detract from the fact he was one of very few bright points of last season?

Are we really criticising someones decision leading up to a goal?

A goals a goal but if he passed it to Bergwijn anything could have happened even a goal!

We have seen so many times in that situation where players F it up by either waiting to long to make their decision and run themselves into trouble or telegraph the pass so the defenders can intercept it.

Lo Celso played it perfectly using Bergwijn as the decoy and making the quick pass forcing Holding to stay inside longer giving Son the space.

It is laughable the garbage a vocal minority try to come up with to criticize a player that has been one of our best players since coming here last season.

Many have complained about our lack of keeping possession in the Woolwich match. The reason was Lo Celso. Like I’ve mentioned before he’s very weak under hard pressing and technically not great at holding and keeping the ball to release pressure off his team. Let’s go back and watch Ndombo best half against city, how when we managed to get the ball, he was able to dazzle his way around city players and make accurate passes to his teammates. Compare that performance to Lo Celso against Woolwich or even when he came on as a sub. We do tend to lose the ball more quicker with him on the pitch instead of Ndombele.

Lo Celso has time to be more commanding on the midfield. I’m just not sure at this stage he can improve further. He can be good against weaker competition though in which we’ll definitely need his service but I really do think Spurs need an upgrade over him.

Love Gio.

1iepsqp.jpg

That was Son's mistake not Gio's, he made the right choice passing to Son on the counter. Son was in a good position and he's better in front of goal than Stevie.
Of course you can criticise a move that ends in a goal. Son made the right choice in passing to Kane because Kane's a great finisher. He made the wrong choice because Gio and Bergwijn were sitting unmarked on the penalty spot rather than a tight angle on the edge of the goal.

Yes, because had Kane missed that difficult chance, we won’t know how the second half would have turned out. Big difference going into 2nd half up 2 than 1-0. Sometimes a play looks super when the goal is scored which is great but in turn if the play had failed we’d be discussing my point, in which that lo celso could have made a better play from that counter. He could have sped up more and fed Bergwijn instead of Son.

luckily Son made a nice play from it to Kane.

Yes, because had Kane missed that difficult chance, we won’t know how the second half would have turned out. Big difference going into 2nd half up 2 than 1-0. Sometimes a play looks super when the goal is scored which is great but in turn if the play had failed we’d be discussing my point, in which that lo celso could have made a better play from that counter. He could have sped up more and fed Bergwijn instead of Son.

But the same could be said for anything in that case and I could probably then criticise a handful of Kane's 10 Premier League assists.

Of course you can criticise a move that ends in a goal. Son made the right choice in passing to Kane because Kane's a great finisher. He made the wrong choice because Gio and Bergwijn were sitting unmarked on the penalty spot rather than a tight angle on the edge of the goal.

Having played and trained with those players perhaps he learned to trust Kane finishing from a difficult angle more than Gio's and Bergwijn's finishing from an easier angle.

Had Bergwijn missed his chance the same thing would have happened. It wasn't like he was wide open with a tap in into an empty net.

If Son had passed it back to GLC or Bergwijn maybe it is an easy goal as well.

He made a good pass giving Son space in the box with Kane as an option, Trying to spin that as a negative is ridiculous. Yes made a great shot but when Son has the ball after the GLC pass there are multiple options for Son to score from there. He made a great decision on the play and certainly not one that could even come close to being criticized by anyone other than someone looking to create faults in a specific player.

I call it Soldaldo syndrome - such selective ‘support’ is only applied to certain high profile signings.

Soldaldo was easily the worst for this - it was quite apparent early on something was very wrong with him and yet not only would be endlessly excused there would a huge exaggeration of other areas of his game like his passing or hold up play to try to compensate for this.

It got a point where you thought they were taking about Berbatov is was that far removed from reality.

To a certain degree it’s the same approach to Lo Celso. If you look back to this thread in Feb you can see me taking the piss our if those going overboard on what was a few good performances.

He has been poor this season but nope the narrative doesn’t change and the excuses read their head.

You're just tarring all fans with the same brush here (and in prior posts on this theme)......

Countless times I've gone to bat for Davies, Winks, Dier, GKN, Stambouli and a shit load of others... I'm not the only one either.

The rest is woke, self congratulatory "I'm just telling it like it is"-ism..... Fact remains, you only pipe up when you're shitting on something.

You're just tarring all fans with the same brush here (and in prior posts on this theme)......

Countless times I've gone to bat for Davies, Winks, Dier, GKN, Stambouli and a shit load of others... I'm not the only one either.

The rest is woke, self congratulatory "I'm just telling it like it is"-ism..... Fact remains, you only pipe up when you're shitting on something.

Where did I say it was all fans?

It is what is it - the likes of high profile glamour signings will always get the benefit in comparison to low profile ones with far too many in the supporter base.

We saw it with Postiga, Soldaldo, Janssen, Ndombele and we are seeing with Lo Celso now. A few good performances and suddenly he was our best player last season.

But considering you are the self appointed biggest bestest Spurs fan eva it is no surprise you have entered the fray. I bet you are even wearing your full kit now.

He's a very good player perhaps missing that something extra. His goal and assist return also show that. He's also got that curiously Argentine left footer trait of trying a curly shot with his left foot even when not in the right position of the pitch to do so. Classic example of that against Chelsea.

Back
Top Bottom