Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its simple - Le Celso doesn’t get referenced outside of the club because his performances do not warrant that. He has only just become established in the team , he had barely played with mixed results so far. Two of our managers commented on such.
I just have to say this - rival fans and media have never been quick to hop on a Spurs players bandwagon, it's actually the opposite.

• Plenty of rival fans genuinely believe the national team will be better WITHOUT harry kane, despite his goal record and winning a WC golden boot.
  • One big reason Dembele got a big push was that Pogba was underperforming and Mousa was propped up so people could have a dig at Pogba. Mousa was great for us from the beginning with his partnership with Sandro.
  • Harry Winks got plenty of ridicule as he made his way into the Spurs team. He was playing in all of Spurs big games, even away at Madrid, dortmund, Barca... against huge clubs and he gets criticism more than praise, as if he's not good enough to play for England even.
  • I see people talk shit about Dele all the time too, completely dismissing his goal contributions, because he doesn't retain the ball as well as other players.
  • Plenty of Utd fans scoffed at the idea of signing Toby a summer or two ago, despite him always being a part of whatever league he's in best defences (Southampton, Atletico, most of his years with us). This is a club that still employs Phil Jones and Victor Lindelof to play regularly for them.

Don't look outside too much, of course Spurs fans may overrate our own, but we have far more accurate representations than those who, for YEARS, most likely will have predicted we won't be a top four side.

In a period where we lost two of our major talismen (Eriksen and Kane), we needed somebody to take the bull by the horns and assert themselves as a creative force in our side. I think GLC has done exactly that to prove his worth to our side. That's not an easy thing to do at all. I think Lo Celso deserves some hype, he's taken responsibility in a phase where we have switched managers, playing styles, and lost key players.

Another Argentinean has been here for close to a decade and is still a bit-part player but I don't want to get into that :mourhandlaugh:

I just have to say this - rival fans and media have never been quick to hop on a Spurs players bandwagon, it's actually the opposite.

• Plenty of rival fans genuinely believe the national team will be better WITHOUT harry kane, despite his goal record and winning a WC golden boot.
  • One big reason Dembele got a big push was that Pogba was underperforming and Mousa was propped up so people could have a dig at Pogba. Mousa was great for us from the beginning with his partnership with Sandro.
  • Harry Winks got plenty of ridicule as he made his way into the Spurs team. He was playing in all of Spurs big games, even away at Madrid, dortmund, Barca... against huge clubs and he gets criticism more than praise, as if he's not good enough to play for England even.
  • I see people talk shit about Dele all the time too, completely dismissing his goal contributions, because he doesn't retain the ball as well as other players.
  • Plenty of Utd fans scoffed at the idea of signing Toby a summer or two ago, despite him always being a part of whatever league he's in best defences (Southampton, Atletico, most of his years with us). This is a club that still employs Phil Jones and Victor Lindelof to play regularly for them.

Don't look outside too much, of course Spurs fans may overrate our own, but we have far more accurate representations than those who, for YEARS, most likely will have predicted we won't be a top four side.

Opposition fans:

Kane is shit, should have passed to Sterling and is a penalty merchant

Dele is the most overrated player in the PL

Kyle Walker was shit.... until he signed for Man City

Modric was shit..........until he signed for Real Madrid

Winks is shit, Mark Noble should have more England caps than him

Eriksen only started getting praise from them....once it was obvious he was leaving

Pochettino was shit, never won anything

Mourinho is shit, won it all but old

Levy shit chairman

Dembele only praised......after we sold him

Son a player who'll score you 20 goals a year, two footed seen as 'overrated'

Judging a players qualities based on the views of rival fans is an idiotic stance to have. It's completely skewed due to bias and although I get what Ossie Wembley is saying about Lo Celso, I politely disagree that the kid doesn't deserve some of the praise he's been getting. Unbeaten in our last 6, the same 6 where Lo Celso has started to find form is no coincidence to me. I think he's a cracking little footballer, the kind I like to see wearing our shirt.

Rival fans and their opinions can do one. Also if people wish to dig hard enough they will find media coverage praising Lo Celso over the last month or so, that's down to them to do so however but if they wish to jump to conclusions to suit their narrative that's up to them. Here's two that came up in a quick five second search:

As I said it's there if it wants to be seen on considered but some choose not to.

Last edited:
Jesus do actually read before engaging in such diatribe.

Its simple - Le Celso doesn’t get referenced outside of the club because his performances do not warrant that. He has only just become established in the team , he had barely played with mixed results so far. Two of our managers commented on such.

However for a small minority of supporters rather than acknowledge this they have to immediately exaggerate his performances and compare his to world class players like Modric because they want to see what they want to see rather than what he has produced.

Son is one of our best players, his peformances warrant that title, the media acknowledge this because of that so do opposing supporters. When players reach that level that is what happens. Le Celso in comparison has done virtually nothing in a Spurs shirt so far - it’s why the majority of the supporter base don’t rave about him, it’s why the media don’t talk about him , same with opposing supporters.

But hey you want him to succeed badly so we have to go along with this ludicrous charade that he has been brilliant and that the references to players like Modric are valid. Grow up you silly little children, seriously.

Read everything.

Just your point is absolute and concentrated garbage, that's all.
There have been, are and will always be players that are massively important for the club but are not in newspaper articles. As I already brought out Dembele as an example. I don't think Jan at his prime was constantly discussed by papers either. Nor was Park in ManU under SAF (and at the same time likes of Bebe and Anderson who were much less important got a lot more attention- because of their click-worthyness not their importance to teams). Plus quite often the media coverage is retrospective - some reporters who follow Spurs generally might still talk about Toby in context of his past performance levels. While I believe that fans who follow every small step every possible moment can spot current situation better and faster.

But if you fail to understand that actual importance/significance for the team is not too well related to how much he is talked about, then I guess you are a lost cause. And opposite fans - who gives a flying fuck about them??? I mean their understanding of what goes on in Spurs is shallow as fuck. Just as is our understanding of most other team players.

P.S you can repeat however many times that you don't dislike or have a beef with Lo Celso, but nobody buys that shit. You with your "bringing people back to reality" are more off to extremes with bringing him down. Because I have not seen anyone here saying that "Lo Celso is as good footballer and is as influential to current team than Modric was back in his day", nor "Lo Celso has already done as much for our club as Modric has". Predominant part of ppl (ofc there might be few who actually go overboard with praise based on very small sample) might say something like "he reminds me of Modric" or "hopefully he become heir to Modric" - and right there - you are ready to jump at their necks like they would have said something outrageous. Just be effing honest and say that you dislike the lad and/or think he is shit. No need for hiding behind masks ;) .

Read everything.

Just your point is absolute and concentrated garbage, that's all.
There have been, are and will always be players that are massively important for the club but are not in newspaper articles. As I already brought out Dembele as an example. I don't think Jan at his prime was constantly discussed by papers either. Nor was Park in ManU under SAF (and at the same time likes of Bebe and Anderson who were much less important got a lot more attention- because of their click-worthyness not their importance to teams). Plus quite often the media coverage is retrospective - some reporters who follow Spurs generally might still talk about Toby in context of his past performance levels. While I believe that fans who follow every small step every possible moment can spot current situation better and faster.

But if you fail to understand that actual importance/significance for the team is not too well related to how much he is talked about, then I guess you are a lost cause. And opposite fans - who gives a flying fuck about them??? I mean their understanding of what goes on in Spurs is shallow as fuck. Just as is our understanding of most other team players.

P.S you can repeat however many times that you don't dislike or have a beef with Lo Celso, but nobody buys that shit. You with your "bringing people back to reality" are more off to extremes with bringing him down. Because I have not seen anyone here saying that "Lo Celso is as good footballer and is as influential to current team than Modric was back in his day", nor "Lo Celso has already done as much for our club as Modric has". Predominant part of ppl (ofc there might be few who actually go overboard with praise based on very small sample) might say something like "he reminds me of Modric" or "hopefully he become heir to Modric" - and right there - you are ready to jump at their necks like they would have said something outrageous. Just be effing honest and say that you dislike the lad and/or think he is shit. No need for hiding behind masks ;) .

No you’re right it’s all about an agenda against Lo Celso - you know better. Jesus wept - is it that difficult to find someone on here that has an intellectual capacity greater than that of squirrel?

Newsflash - this isn’t actually about Lo Celso - it’s about the reaction to this player by some supporters. Those who are highly selective with this ( Seggesson has just has been as mixed as Lo Celso but the reaction has been every different For him), who choose to exaggerate performances which they wouldn’t do for other players. This happens routinely over the years with Lo Celso being the latest. Just read back through the thread and look at the level of hyperbolisim at play.

I can understand when child fans do this but when grown men do it is it cringeworthy and embarrassing. Lo Celso has played the grand total of five full games in the league with 0 assists and 0 goals. In some of those games like the Norwich away he did absolutely nothing where as he was decent in the home tie.

When a player isn’t generating wide praise amongst his own supporter base, gains zero traction in the media and other football supporters it is a tell tale sign they haven’t don’t much so far. Does that mean he should be written off - no it doesn't, it’s a simp Lee case of being honest and not giving praise or accolades that simply isn’t warranted. As for Dembele and Jan not being singled out for praise by others - Jan got into the PFA team of the year in his first season and both he and Dembele qualities have been widely acknowledged ( even Carragher only the other week said Jan had been one of the best CM in the league in the last decade).

But hey you really really really want him to do well so who cares about his actual performances because that all that matters to people like you is what you want .

Last edited:
is it that difficult to find someone on here that has an intellectual capacity greater than that of squirrel?

No, of course not. What do you want to know Nutkin? This forum is very sympathetic to the needs of our charming, tree dwelling gymnasts. You should have said something earlier. I feel bad now.

Lovely quotes from Mr Mourinho today re: Gio and his versatility to play in any midfield position. Very, very happy with him it sounds like.

I am glad he is now fully part of the team as it was very frustrating as a fan to see him left out of Poch's selections so regularly, and even more frustrating for him as a player I am sure.

Still relatively early days, but over that last month Lo Celso seems to have become an essential part of the first team, and one of the most creative.

And Mourhino really likes him...........

Lo Celso comments from 15.30

Jose's a smart guy. I like the fact he thinks fast and speaks slowly (learned some lessons, obvs.). He's not just addressing the Dele issue, he's clearing up a lot of stuff for everyone. No hysterics or examples required.

I'm glad he's warmed to GLC, I think a few of us were a bit worried he wasn't a 'Mourinho' player. It's pleasing to see Jose isn't living up to all the 'same old Mourinho' stereotypes. He's been a champion for two decades and that means adapting and evolving. This is key to my slowly-dawning acceptance/admiration.

"The blanket is getting a little bit bigger." - Fuck Yeah!

I think we are very fortunate to secure GLC very much like when we signed Eriksen! And they say that things happen in 3s!

We may have had some misses on transfers the last 2-3 years or so that poch was here, but last summer seems to have been very good. Lo Celso and Ndombele both look class, with the potential to be world class. Add in Berjwin and Gedson, and it's a solid transfer year.

Need to continue our success and ambition next summer with defensive minded players, and we're right back in the thick of it for sure.

Opposition fans:

Kane is shit, should have passed to Sterling and is a penalty merchant

Dele is the most overrated player in the PL

Kyle Walker was shit.... until he signed for Man City

Modric was shit..........until he signed for Real Madrid

Winks is shit, Mark Noble should have more England caps than him

Eriksen only started getting praise from them....once it was obvious he was leaving

Pochettino was shit, never won anything

Mourinho is shit, won it all but old

Levy shit chairman

Dembele only praised......after we sold him

Son a player who'll score you 20 goals a year, two footed seen as 'overrated'

Judging a players qualities based on the views of rival fans is an idiotic stance to have. It's completely skewed due to bias and although I get what Ossie Wembley is saying about Lo Celso, I politely disagree that the kid doesn't deserve some of the praise he's been getting. Unbeaten in our last 6, the same 6 where Lo Celso has started to find form is no coincidence to me. I think he's a cracking little footballer, the kind I like to see wearing our shirt.

Rival fans and their opinions can do one. Also if people wish to dig hard enough they will find media coverage praising Lo Celso over the last month or so, that's down to them to do so however but if they wish to jump to conclusions to suit their narrative that's up to them. Here's two that came up in a quick five second search:

As I said it's there if it wants to be seen on considered but some choose not to.

Difficult to generalise but I think on average our players tend to be slightly overrated by our own fans and also the wider media. Exceptions either way - Modric and Dembele come to mind immediately.

Difficult to generalise but I think on average our players tend to be slightly overrated by our own fans and also the wider media. Exceptions either way - Modric and Dembele come to mind immediately.

I'm not so sure we overrate. We do have a squad that has achieved multiple top four finishes, reached a major final and certain players we apparently overrated, players like Walker and Eriksen who many of my pals said I saw through Tottenham tinted glasses went onto play for major clubs earning major deals for themselves out of it.

A pal of mine said I was bias when I suggested Lloris was a far better goalkeeper than the likes of Kasper Schmeichel. The numbers speak for themselves. Each person is different I guess but I think as a fanbase we kinda know the decent ones from the ones who ain't gonna cut it in N17.

Back
Top Bottom