Glenn Hoddle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ah, that last goal against Oxford - my second ever match aged 6. At least I got to see him but too late/young to really know and appreciate his genius.

Will never understand why his managerial career just fizzled out - seems such a waste that he never took up more jobs as always talks a lot of sense unlike most of these know-all pundits who really haven't a clue

A true genius, the greatest player I've seen (I'm almost 58). Was at he's England debut. Scored a typical Hod goal, best player on the pitch, dropped for the next game! You couldn't make it up. His treatment with England was a scandal. Apprently we had to build our team around Bryan Robson.......

Ah, that last goal against Oxford - my second ever match aged 6. At least I got to see him but too late/young to really know and appreciate his genius.

Will never understand why his managerial career just fizzled out - seems such a waste that he never took up more jobs as always talks a lot of sense unlike most of these know-all pundits who really haven't a clue
Some ex players are so good they cant understand why the players they are coaching cannot do what they can do. I did my lvl 2 coaching badge with Chelsea and the guy running the course said Hoddle is exactly like I've posted above, he also got frustrated a lot because the players he coached didn't " see" the pass he could and it drove him mad.

A true genius, the greatest player I've seen (I'm almost 58). Was at he's England debut. Scored a typical Hod goal, best player on the pitch, dropped for the next game! You couldn't make it up. His treatment with England was a scandal. Apprently we had to build our team around Bryan Robson.......

And to think that a lot of those passes, goals and outrageous pieces of skill were performed on what often appeared to be fields of sand and mud and there is still nobody to touch him

I was there too although from memory the crowd was a really poor 20000 or so. Spurs were so entertaining in 86-87 yet nobody seemed to turn up!

Never got to see him live for us. My first games were 1989/90. But he was a featured of my early Tottenham obsession watching on TV as a kid, collecting panini stickers to Greavsie’s 6 of the best videos. Really wish he’d got a better chance with us as I think he’s technically a great manager. Loves us and is a true fan i.e. he is one of us and part of the club.

EeL1w-QWkAAEIs7

The nonsense around religion, faith healing and disabled people did him up unfortunately it didn't go down well.

Can't remember if it was The General or Stevie P who said that he used his feet like golf clubs and could ping a ball onto a sixpence anywhere on the pitch. Stevie also said that that he controlled a game by making two killer passes and we would win 2-1, in answer to criticism that he wasn't involved enough.
Probably our best player in my lifetime as a Spurs supporter. His mastery of the ball was mind boggling, his vision was unearthly and his variety of passing was incredible. He had a natural talent that can't be taught, and made it look so easy. Most of his goals were so spectacular that they will live in the memory for a very long time. Thank goodness that a number of them were caught on camera, so the youngsters can see what a special player we had on our books, and home grown, to boot.
"Hoddle, Hoddle, Hoddle, Hoddle - born is the King of White Hart Lane"

My first footballing hero and still my favorite ever Spurs player. I still don't think any English player since can match him technically. He was almost completely 2 footed and had every skill a midfielder needed. If he was Brazilian they would have made him a hero like Socrates. He was on that level.

Now we have Winks and Sissoko. What the fuck happened to football.

My favourite Spurs player by far, he was a joy to watch and I would say the most skilful Englishman ever to play the game. He always seemed to have time on the ball, in truth the oppo knew he could make them look like clowns with one dip of the shoulder or one of his trademark turns.
His vision was and will forever be unrivalled, coupled with ultimate control over the ball. I've never seen anyone come close to his range of passing and many on here will agree that his passing was superb. He had the skill to deliver a pass with check as well as release that often brought gasps of delight amongst the fans. Truly two footed and Wenger himself said he didn't know if he was left or right footed.
He should of had over 100 England caps but successive managers preferred the likes of Brian(man of the match) Robson. Nothing wrong with that type of player but fans want to be entertained and Hoddle was our genius.

Can't remember if it was The General or Stevie P who said that he used his feet like golf clubs and could ping a ball onto a sixpence anywhere on the pitch. Stevie also said that that he controlled a game by making two killer passes and we would win 2-1, in answer to criticism that he wasn't involved enough.
Probably our best player in my lifetime as a Spurs supporter. His mastery of the ball was mind boggling, his vision was unearthly and his variety of passing was incredible. He had a natural talent that can't be taught, and made it look so easy. Most of his goals were so spectacular that they will live in the memory for a very long time. Thank goodness that a number of them were caught on camera, so the youngsters can see what a special player we had on our books, and home grown, to boot.
Just wish the Bolton cup game had been on the tele.

Totally agree Mrs P 👏

I feel so privileged to have seen him.
And he was one of ours,never cost us a penny.Yet still there are people(not Spurs fans) who think he weren't all that and was a luxury player.
I remember a heated discussion in my then local with a couple of mates back in the 80s. And one of them's view point was he shouldn't be in the England squad,let alone team as he couldn't tackle.
The country was blind to the fact what a superbly gifted talented footballing genius we had in Hoddle
Years later ,i was talking to one of the older Gooners in my pub,and he got quite angry about how Hoddle was wasted by England.
He could see it,sadly many couldn't and still can't...

Back
Top Bottom