Goals for and against

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not this again.

Sanchez didn't fail to deal with anything. It was an over-hit hopeful ball by Mings. Rose hesitated and didn't cover round the centre backs and Sissoko failed to track his man.

A poor goal to concede sure, but I'd be amazed if we conceded any like this again all season.

Both City goals are more system related than individual. Why we decided to play narrow full backs, I'll never know but both goals are evident on why it didn't work. KWP tucked in almost marking Aguero for the opener, no one marking Sterling.

Regarding the second goal at City, I am not sure I understand why people are blaming Sanchez outside of the fact his name isn't Vertonghen or Alderweireld.

Rose is so narrow he hasn't got a clue who to mark. Bernardo with all the time in the world to find de Bruyne who absolutely NO ONE has picked up despite Winks and Eriksen both clearly seeing him and then I don't know whether Alderweireld just falls asleep but he shouldn't be letting Aguero get infront of him so easily.

With narrow full backs, you'd assume your wide men (Eriksen and Sissoko in this half) to follow their men and help out. To excuse Eriksen, this isn't his strongest point and its probably not a system that's suited to get the best out of him but Sissoko just refused to help out down the right time and time again, which was odd considering he usually does a good job of it

Really, I haven't been TOO disappointed by us defensively. Systematically, I've been a bit confused but we were barely, if at all, troubled by Villa and City are the best team in the country and despite having 30+ shots, couldn't beat us.

Every (FA) upper level football coaching course I know of works on the assumption that the majority of goals at the top level are the fault of individual mistakes.

I’ve been lucky enough to sit down with top level coaches who have re-iterated that point.

It’s why players who can produce those special moments are so important. As they don’t rely on mistakes, individual magic can turn an otherwise tight game.

But watch any MOTD and individual mistakes are basically what they break down in their after match discussion.
absolutely. Its why i dont get why we're arguing over who is to blame or mainly to blame. For those analyzing the city game, look at our goals. Our goals were far further up the shit defending scale than theirs. Fuck knows how lamela scored from there and then they let a midget have a free header from a set piece.
some defending is shit enough to warrant specific criticism but trying to allocate blame for all goals is just fucking daft.

You really think Sanchez was the main culprit in City’s second goal? More like a team effort. KDB had room to make a good pass, Sanchez couldn’t get there, and then Agüero ran past Toby for the finish.

City’s first goal was the fault of both our FB and Eriksen. KDB had all kinds of space to make a great pass. KWP lost sterling. Seems like both at fault.

Newcastle H 0-1

Newcastle pass the ball down our right. KWP out of position and IMO does not move fast enough to challenge. Pass to another player and Sissoko slow to react and fails to stop pass over his head. Sanchez out of position and has lost his man. Rose fails to block the shot. Main culprit Sanchez. 0-1.

Didn't see this earlier but Sanchez had fuck all to do with the Villa, the ball flies about 10 foot over his head. Rose is caught ball watching and then gets put on arse way to easily by McGinn when trying to cover. Sissoko first allows McGinn to run off him, then just jogs back instead of sprinting despite seeing that they now have a 2 v 2 situation developing.

And Sanchez didn't really do much wrong for the Newcastle goal, the biggest culprits are Sissoko - who just fucking ambles to Atsu and makes no attempt to meaningfully pressure him and then, worse, flinches out of the way of his pass. Rose just does not read that the whole defence has shifted rightwards towards the play and leaves a fucking huge gap for Joellington to run into.

Woolwich A 2-2
Sanchez clears the ball straight to Gwendozy who hits ball into the area. Sanchez runs to the player than retreats and fails to stop the pass to Lac. Winks was close but also failed to stop the pass. Lac unmarked ran forward and skilfully flicks ball over Verts leg and smashes home. Sanchez main culprit. 2-1.

Gwendozy is unchallenged 10 yards outside our pen area (half-hearted attempt to stop the pass by Eriksen) puts ball into the area. Verts loses PEA who flicks ball into the net.

Main culprit Vertonghen. 2-2.

What your clip doesn't show for the first goal is that at starts with Sissoko giving away a needless clumsy free kick on the edge of the box the,n in the aftermath, Rose has loads of time and space to clear the ball - with a minute left on the clock, but dithers, then gets caught fucking about. Sanchez's clearance isn't great, but by then it was a case of panic stations, and at least he actually cleared it, unlike Rose and Sissoko - who also has a chance to win the ball just before Sanchez clears it - panic created largely by Rose fucking about unnecessarily.

Here's the City goals

If there's any blame for either it's that our pressing and closing down in midfield and just outside the box is pretty fucking poor - as it was in the Woolwich (and Newcastle) game - but you can't really blame the defenders. For the second goal Sanchez tries to cut the cross out but can't reach it, hardly his fault.

Maybe this is the best thread to post the following question (I know, I am a statto beginner, but the lockdown is giving me some free time ;) ):

I think I understand what is a XG. But surely the best indicator on how good a side is in terms of scoring goals is : goal scored/XG? (i.e. how lethal a side is at converting goal chances?) Has this metric got a name?
This is included in XG. XG factors all goals scored from that position.

XG also shows if a team is overperforming, that's to say that they score more goals than they should (above the average), in general, those teams (and individual players) rarely sustain this, the teams/players that do are the elite of the elite e.g. Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Lewandowski, Bayern, Barca under Pep, City of a couple of seasons ago.

I thought I would start this thread to give both praise and blame but I’m sure there will be more blame comments than praise from you guys, assuming of course this thread is of interest.
Aston Villa H 3-1
Sanchez fails to deal with long ball and Sissoko lost McGinn. Danny did a great job sprinting back but unfortunately slipped. Main culprit Sissoko IMO. 0-1.
Eriksen quality cross saw Sanchez force a save. Kane picked it up and passed to Lucas then to Ndombele. Excellent low shot from outside the area. 1-1.
Lucas cross is stopped by Grealish. Lamela tackles, wins the ball and good pass into the area. Defenders can’t deal and the ball goes to Kane. Great finish with his left foot. 2-1.
Sanchez long ball to Lucas who heads to Sissoko. Great run and pass to Kane who slides home with his right foot from edge of area. 3-1.

Manchester City A 2-2
Quality pass and finish KDB to Sterling but Eriksen lost KDB and KWP lost Sterling. Main culprit KWP. 0-1.
Rose to Winks to Ndombele. Great pass and good finish from outside area by Lamela. 1-1.
City’s 2nd goal was down to Sanchez who should have stopped the low cross but both Winks and Eriksen failed to track KDB. Toby could have done better. 1-2.
Winks pass to Lamela great ball to Eriksen in the area. Defender concedes corner from which Lamela crosses to Lucas superb leap heads home. 2-2.

Newcastle H 0-1

Newcastle pass the ball down our right. KWP out of position and IMO does not move fast enough to challenge. Pass to another player and Sissoko slow to react and fails to stop pass over his head. Sanchez out of position and has lost his man. Rose fails to block the shot. Main culprit Sanchez. 0-1.

First, have to also ask questions of Moura for being so deep, he has to put pressure on the man on the ball in their first phase, he doesn't. Fault number one.

Sissoko is at fault number 2, absolutely no pressure on the ball at any time, Atsu with all the time in the world to carry it forward, look up, wave to his mum in the stands, pick out his teammate and as a consequence play a perfect unrushed ball.

KWP is in exactly the position you want your FB to be, he is actually forced to come out more than he should all because Moura hadn't put pressure on the ball, and also because Sissoko is way to deep and out of position, this also draws Toby out, which sucks Sanchez out, meaning CF takes a step back behind Sanchez always the perfect position for a CF when you can read the CB's number on his back.

Two people responsible and at fault for this goal is Moura and Sissoko, everything else that happened is as a direct consequence of them not doing their job without the ball. (for those always bitching about Poch not picking Moura, this is why he's on the bench, without the ball he doesn't work hard enough. Whilst he has improved since joining us, he will remain on the bench if he fails his teammates when are out of possession).

someone is at "fault" for 99% of goals scored in the PL.

Every (FA) upper level football coaching course I know of works on the assumption that the majority of goals at the top level are the fault of individual mistakes.

I’ve been lucky enough to sit down with top level coaches who have re-iterated that point.

It’s why players who can produce those special moments are so important. As they don’t rely on mistakes, individual magic can turn an otherwise tight game.

But watch any MOTD and individual mistakes are basically what they break down in their after match discussion.

Nice to get our first clean sheet of the season.

Crystal Palace H 4-0

Toby picks up ball deep in our half. Long ball to Son who collects on the right, cuts into the CP area and scores with a low left foot shot to the GK’s left corner. 1-0.

Verts quickly takes a FK passes to Sissoko who bursts forward and passes to Son in their half. Son powers on and slides a great pass to Aurier on the right. He attempts a cross and the ball is deflected into the net by van Aanholt. OG. 2-0.

Lloris kicks ball to Aurier who heads to Lamela then Eriksen to Winks who passes wide right to Aurier. Great high cross to Son whose left foot volley goes under the GK. 3-0.

Sissoko powers forward and passes to Son who speeds forward and passes to Kane wide right. Harry puts over an inch perfect bending low cross to Lamela whose low left foot volley is too strong for the GK. 4-0.

Tottenham Hotspur vs Crystal Palace Extended

Last edited:
This is included in XG. XG factors all goals scored from that position.

XG also shows if a team is overperforming, that's to say that they score more goals than they should (above the average), in general, those teams (and individual players) rarely sustain this, the teams/players that do are the elite of the elite e.g. Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Lewandowski, Bayern, Barca under Pep, City of a couple of seasons ago.
cheers, mate 👍

Yay! A blame archive.... :pochunimpressed:

This thread is just gonna dredge up negativity already explored in peoples post-match comments.

Last edited:
On the positive....

Fair play Lamela.

We’ve scored 5. He’s been a big part of 3.

Also, great work by Sissoko for Harry’s 2nd vs Villa.

Lucas also has an assist and a goal to his name.

With Sonny and Dele and GLC to come in.

So scoring goals looks good for this year!

:kanegoal: :lamelaaghh::allitongue::sonlol:

Newcastle H 0-1

Woolwich A 2-2

Long ball to Kane who heads forward to Son. Nice dribble takes out Woolwich players and great pass to Lamela who shoots with his right foot. GK save pushing ball to Eriksen who slides home into an empty net. 1-0.

Great work by Winks on the left and he passes to Son in the area. Xhaka fouls him-penalty. Superb penalty by Kane hard and low to left corner. 2-0

Sanchez clears the ball straight to Gwendozy who hits ball into the area. Sanchez runs to the player than retreats and fails to stop the pass to Lac. Winks was close but also failed to stop the pass. Lac unmarked ran forward and skilfully flicks ball over Verts leg and smashes home. Sanchez main culprit. 2-1.

Gwendozy is unchallenged 10 yards outside our pen area (half-hearted attempt to stop the pass by Eriksen) puts ball into the area. Verts loses PEA who flicks ball into the net.

Main culprit Vertonghen. 2-2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom