Going backwards?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

4th best team in England right now,down from second last year. My fear is Chelsea gonna spend big next year and we're gonna drop to 5th.

Agree? Disagree? What can we change to fix it?

4th best team in England right now,down from second last year. My fear is Chelsea gonna spend big next year and we're gonna drop to 5th.

In todays modern football the only thing you can hope for is that you get taken over by a wealthy family or a foreign state.

City are where they are today because of money that's all that matters anymore wether we like it or not.

anyone that didnt come into this season thinking happy with champions league was kidding themselves.

I don't know if we've gone 'backwards'

Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea all spent more than us this season and we're still on course to finishing above two of those sides.

We got the same stage in the FA Cup last season and improved massively in the Champions League.

Chelsea have gone backwards this season. Neither us, Liverpool, United or City have.

In the overall sense, we aren't going backwards- that just the tide of this season rolling out- it's almost over and the players and staff are starting to turn off mentally...

All we can do is back the team. We won’t be able to conpete financially until the stadium is paid off. Need to keep getting top 4 as a minimum.

I don't know if we've gone 'backwards'

Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea all spent more than us this season and we're still on course to finishing above two of those sides.

We got the same stage in the FA Cup last season and improved massively in the Champions League.

Chelsea have gone backwards this season. Neither us, Liverpool, United or City have.
The thing is Liverpool lost their best player and didn't replace him, so that shows money isn't everything

Chelsea have reined in their spending, they now have a stadium to build as well. Don’t see themsble to keep up with City or United anymore in terms of squad investment.

City, United and Woolwich all spent big money this season. So maybe they moved forwards in that sense.

Liverpool have overperformed so interesting to see what level they can play at next season. Surprised how well they coped with losing Coutinho tbh.

This season playing at Wembley was always going to be difficult and I think overall we did well.
Shame we played like shit today though.

But as a club and team think we have progressed, CL football next season vital now.

We’ve stayed at nearly the same place we were last year whilst playing 38 road games. Likely will finish lower on the table, but (hopefully) still top 4 and progressed further in the CL.

We haven’t regressed, just haven’t taken that next step.

In todays modern football the only thing you can hope for is that you get taken over by a wealthy family or a foreign state.

City are where they are today because of money that's all that matters anymore wether we like it or not.

Occasionally tier 2 sides will assemble tier 1 teams without such means. The likes of A. Madrid and Dortmund were able to capitalise on that whilst they had the opportunity, unfortunately we had to be the club that squandered it.

We were always going to fall backwards because this method is not sustainable and we do not have the resources of an elite club. What is so strange is the absolute reluctance of most supporters to see this, for many to adopt a next year mentality and to place little to no pressure on the club to win anything.

Last edited:
Occasionally tier 2 sides will assemble tier 1 teams without such means. The likes of A. Madrid and Dortmund were able to capitalise on that whilst they had the opportunity, unfortunately we had to be the club that squandered it.

We were always going to fall backwards because this method is not sustainable and we do not have the resources of an elite club. What is so strange is the absolute reluctance of most supporters to see this, for many to adopt a new year mentality and to little to no pressure on the club to win anything.
Absolutely I think we have to remember that much of this isn't new.

Take the Europa league for example how many times where we in that I think it's around 9 times we've competed in that compition since the 2000s and onwards.
The furthest we have gotten? ....... The Quater Finals.

That's just not good enough we really have been given opportunities. As it's been talked about there really does seem to be this mentality that when it comes to winning things we just don't look like we want to try.

I don't want us to become world football's training camp to train up young players and then shift them out to elite clubs after we've done the prepping for them.

Absolutely I think we have to remember that much of this isn't new.

Take the Europa league for example how many times where we in that I think it's around 9 times we've competed in that compition since the 2000s and onwards.
The furthest we have gotten? ....... The Quater Finals.

That's just not good enough we really have been given opportunities. As it's been talked about there really does seem to be this mentality that when it comes to winning things we just don't look like we want to try.

I don't want us to become world football's training camp to train up young players and then shift them out to elite clubs after we've done the prepping for them.

It's just isn't a priority within any facet at the club, we have a qualification culture at the club, the priority is CL football and the revenue that it brings. And the result of that is the club that has gone a decade without silverware despite having two of its best sides in that time. We have become Woolwich 2007 -2012 and large swathes have readily embraced this, it's all very very odd.

Back
Top Bottom