Going backwards?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Feels like it, Walker, Rose and Toby can all go fuck themselves.
Feels like a lack of respect hanging over the manager, if he’s had it, I know where I’m pointing my fingers.
Snakes

It's just isn't a priority within any facet at the club, we have a qualification culture at the club, the priority is CL football and the revenue that it brings. And the result of that is the club that has gone a decade without silverware despite having two of its best sides in that time. We have become Woolwich 2007 -2012 and large swathes have readily embraced this, it's all very very odd.
That qualification culture is horrid for us fans but sadly pretty profitable to those up top.

Feels like it, Walker, Rose and Toby can all go fuck themselves.
Feels like a lack of respect hanging over the manager, if he’s had it, I know where I’m pointing my fingers.
Snakes
Well you'll be pointing in the wrong place then mate.

This years Walker, Rose and Toby will be next years Kane, Dele and Eriksen if we continue to maintain a transfer budget and wage structure that encourages our players to see their futures elsewhere

Well you'll be pointing in the wrong place then mate.

This years Walker, Rose and Toby will be next years Kane, Dele and Eriksen if we continue to maintain a transfer budget and wage structure that encourages our players to see their futures elsewhere
Then I’ll do the same with them.
Sick of millionaires acting like they can’t feed their kids because the Jones’ have a bit more than them.

Like Bale, Berbatov, Modric, Walker any player, who doesn’t want to play for Spurs, can fuck off.

Any and every player.

Go out and wipe the floor with Real one week, get played off the pitch by Swansea the next......walk over Utd for 20 minutes, bottle the next 70.
Fucking bunch of Jekyll and Hyde’s.

If all it takes is a pay rise, then it means they are motivated by money not trophies, in which case every single one of them can just fuck off.
I’d rather Poch stayed than any of the players right now. Mentally weak shambles.

Sick of millionaires acting like they can’t feed their kids because the Jones’ have a bit more than them.
Like Bale, Berbatov, Modric, Walker any player, who doesn’t want to play for Spurs, can fuck off.
Any and every player.
I'm not criticising you for your sentiments. I see where you're coming from.
But it does mean we'll never win fuck all.
If we continue to just say fuck you and good riddance to any player that wants out , rather than looking at and addressing the reasons why, then we may as well just accept we'll always be the bridesmaid.

Any and every player.

Go out and wipe the floor with Real one week, get played off the pitch by Swansea the next......walk over Utd for 20 minutes, bottle the next 70.
Fucking bunch of Jekyll and Hyde’s.

If all it takes is a pay rise, then it means they are motivated by money not trophies, in which case every single one of them can just fuck off.
I’d rather Poch stayed than any of the players right now. Mentally weak shambles.
Do you think that Poch is mentally strong ?
why has Poch not got in 1 or 2 mentally strong players ? the club has spend around £80m on Janssen, sissoko,llorente, GKN, etc instead of getting a mentally strong player ?

Do you think that Poch is mentally strong ?
why has Poch not got in 1 or 2 mentally strong players ? the club has spend around £80m on Janssen, sissoko,llorente, GKN, etc instead of getting a mentally strong player ?

Good point. I think Poch is mentally strong, but I think he has underestimated the power of greedy players.
I genuinely believe he, like us, wants to build a title winning team through hard work and endeavor and belief.

Sadly he’s finding out that players don’t give as much of fuck about Spurs as he does.

Rats jumping ship and the weak having their heads turned basically. I’d happily read we had sacked Toby this morning. He can go where wants, these negative influences can just leave immediately. Rose too, just piss off.

Theres two eliments to this, coach and players.
The team, not backwards but have hit the buffers. This team has gone as far as it can go for how good they are . This squad has achieved alot and done us proud. Teams need to evolve by selling and buying players, the coach needs to be brave. We are in a good place but some changes will need to happen. If we need to sell Kane , then sell. We need a littlle change becuse its all gone s little somber for me. Yesterday we were unable to change the way we played.

Good point. I think Poch is mentally strong, but I think he has underestimated the power of greedy players.
I genuinely believe he, like us, wants to build a title winning team through hard work and endeavor and belief.

Sadly he’s finding out that players don’t give as much of fuck about Spurs as he does.

Rats jumping ship and the weak having their heads turned basically. I’d happily read we had sacked Toby this morning. He can go where wants, these negative influences can just leave immediately. Rose too, just piss off.
There be the problem perhaps players,agents ect and GREED! But it's human nature in all walks of life but also depending on the individual! No fan of any football club would be naive enough to think that everyone that pulls on their teams shirt is a fan of theiir club just doesn't work like that,yes in an ideal world we would like them to be but sadly they ain't,in modern football money talks same as in normal life if you were to seek alternative employment what's the first thing that's talked about......? Your salary of course it is! and how loyal would you be to your present employer,none at all every man for him self! you do get guys that value job satisfaction and contentment above money but they are very rare and you certainly won't get a whole football team and beside each individual is different one might be near the end of is earning potential(Toby) Kane says he is a fan son may be content, Eriksen yet to peak but might perhaps want to reach it at club where he is guaranteed success(cos we ain't) all these factors come in to it it must be very difficult for the manager and Danial Levy to juggle all these requirements yes there is one solution throw money at it give them all what they want but will that solve the problem? No cos someone else will come along and want more and it never ends and so it begins again where do stop? Personally I enjoy being a Tottenham just the way we are,chavs,shitty,manure you can buy your success all you want counts for feck all......

Fans always moan about modern football, but demand their owners spend ridiculous sums of money. I hope we keep our net spend around £0 so the right people continue to become annoyed. I want those those 40-60 year old men around where I sit to embarrass themselves further by screaming abuse at kids/young men.

I’m all for the policy but the club should stop talking about next level.
I think our progress is undeniable but so too is our stagnation after a certain point is reached.

No one at the club should have ever said the word “title”. We really thought catching Leicester was a given, and as fans that’s understandable.
But when you talk down the domestic cups, and still can’t deliver, you have made a situation of expectation. That’s where we are now.

Do I expect the title? Not at all, not even a cup.
Is that really ok for a squad which boasts the likes of the players we do? No, I don’t think so.

Eriksen, Son, Dele, Kane, Dembele, Toby, Jan, Lloris and Poch could all walk into most top 3 sides in Europe.
Sanchez, Davies, Trippier, Lucas, Lamela, Wanyama, Aurier,Vorm, Dier, most top 6 sides.

So why is it that we are called entitled to expect better than yesterday

Eriksen, Son, Dele, Kane, Dembele, Toby, Jan, Lloris and Poch could all walk into most top 3 sides in Europe.
Sanchez, Davies, Trippier, Lucas, Lamela, Wanyama, Aurier,Vorm, Dier, most top 6 sides.

So why is it that we are called entitled to expect better than yesterday
Do you maybe think we are better than we actually are? If our players were of the very highest quality, we’d be winning titles and cups, so they obviously aren’t. The players you’ve listed who would walk into a top three team in Europe? We finished 3rd and 2nd in the last two seasons, so they already play in one. The ones who could walk into a top six team, again, they already play in one.

But top three and top six teams rarely win stuff. Top one teams win stuff. We aren’t the top team in the country, not even presently the second best team, as the league shows, so expecting us to win matches like yesterday does come over as entitled. If I’m a Man City fan, I’d expect to win every match and with the money spent, the manager, the squad and recent history, I’d be entitled to. But expecting us to win a semi against a better team and going lunar when it doesn’t happen? Not for me.

Do you maybe think we are better than we actually are? If our players were of the very highest quality, we’d be winning titles and cups, so they obviously aren’t. The players you’ve listed who would walk into a top three team in Europe? We finished 3rd and 2nd in the last two seasons, so they already play in one. The ones who could walk into a top six team, again, they already play in one.

But top three and top six teams rarely win stuff. Top one teams win stuff. We aren’t the top team in the country, not even presently the second best team, as the league shows, so expecting us to win matches like yesterday does come over as entitled. If I’m a Man City fan, I’d expect to win every match and with the money spent, the manager, the squad and recent history, I’d be entitled to. But expecting us to win a semi against a better team and going lunar when it doesn’t happen? Not for me.

Yes they play for one now but there is a problem playing them collectively, like they don’t believe in each other.

Walker has won a double, he’s average.
He could have won a title here, but he had his head turned. His belief wasn’t in his teammates, it was in City’s players.
Ditto Toby and Rose.

They don’t believe in Trippier or Lamela etc, so how can we possibly win anything when there are players who KNOW leaving means a title within 12 months and playing alongside Isco instead of Dier.
They don’t believe in Dier, and Dier don’t believe in Sissoko etc etc etc....a filter down mentality of greener grass infesting the whole team.

Fans always moan about modern football, but demand their owners spend ridiculous sums of money. I hope we keep our net spend around £0 so the right people continue to become annoyed. I want those those 40-60 year old men around where I sit to embarrass themselves further by screaming abuse at kids/young men.

That's quite the fetish

Yes they play for one now but there is a problem playing them collectively, like they don’t believe in each other.

Walker has won a double, he’s average.
He could have won a title here, but he had his head turned. His belief wasn’t in his teammates, it was in City’s players.
Ditto Toby and Rose.

They don’t believe in Trippier or Lamela etc, so how can we possibly win anything when there are players who KNOW leaving means a title within 12 months and playing alongside Isco instead of Dier.
They don’t believe in Dier, and Dier don’t believe in Sissoko etc etc etc....a filter down mentality of greener grass infesting the whole team.

It’s a very good point you are making however it further shows the money aspect of success. Rose talking about google in a very clumsy way but it is clear that some players at our club don’t believe we will buy the players who will get us over the finish line and thus after a few seasons want out.

I don’t blame them, they ain’t Spurs fans, I get annoyed when they ask for more cash as if £100K ain’t enough to live on but as a footballer with a short career I don’t blame them looking at clubs that do win things and going there.

They want success and probably at the end of their career to say I did this and that. Also just like any of us in life, sometimes people get bored and want a fresh challenge.

Players leave and we can make a lot of money and replacement them, question is will this new stadium give us the extra finance to compete with likes of City, United etc and really break our glass ceiling, who knows probably not.

In reference to going backwards I would say no.

Problem is other teams have gone forwards more than us. This team in the ‘Leicester’ season probably would have won the title, they certainly would have won it last year. But in that time other teams have massively strengthened.

I would say despite the frustration Poch has defiantley worked miracles given our finances compared to others. The cold reality might be that there is only so much hard graft can do. He deserves a trophy, although not quite sure why he talks down the cups so much.

Occasionally tier 2 sides will assemble tier 1 teams without such means. The likes of A. Madrid and Dortmund were able to capitalise on that whilst they had the opportunity, unfortunately we had to be the club that squandered it.

We were always going to fall backwards because this method is not sustainable and we do not have the resources of an elite club. What is so strange is the absolute reluctance of most supporters to see this, for many to adopt a next year mentality and to place little to no pressure on the club to win anything.

Whether i agree or not that is a pretty calm and reasonable synopsis, so why do you typically just fire the blame at Poch or Levy when the 2 of them are/were key to said 'leap'?

Back
Top Bottom