Good article on soccer in USA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just posing a question on when this little temper tantrum will be ending
Temper tantrum? For you? Lol. I like Americans for their love of all things American. You are the exception that proves that there are also many cock smoking idiots that the rest of the world loathe. & no, I'm not mad bro. I pity you

Temper tantrum? For you? Lol. I like Americans for their love of all things American. You are the exception that proves that there are also many cock smoking idiots that the rest of the world loathe. & no, I'm not mad bro. I pity you
You remind me of my nephew who I saw over the holidays. He's 11

87100-eddie-murphy-opens-door-disgus-OH4D.gif

The Greeks had a word for it
200px_Ephesians_2_12_Greek_atheos.jpg

The Greek word αθεοι (atheoi), as it appears in the Epistle to the Ephesians (2:12) on the early 3rd-century Papyrus 46. It is usually translated into English as "(those who are) without God".

History not your strong point either?

You could at least paste the entire quote.

"The term "atheism" originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshiped by the larger society"

"In Greek they said átheos and atheotēs; to these the English words ungodly and ungodliness correspond rather closely. In exactly the same way as ungodly, átheos was used as an expression of severe censure and moral condemnation; this use is an old one, and the oldest that can be traced. Not till later do we find it employed to denote a certain philosophical creed."

Yawn. Oh look, you're talking absolute bullshit. Nice one. Paste the entire quote in future, not just the bits that back you up.

The philosophy of Athiesm came about during the late 1700 and 1800's. You can google it all you like, you can quote what you like, but that's the fact of the situation.

"The first individuals to identify themselves using the word "atheist" lived in the 18th century.[12] Some ancient and modern religions are referred to as atheistic, as they either have no concepts of deities or deny a creator deity, yet still revere other god-like entities."

Philosophical atheism began to appear in Europe and Asia in the 5th and 6th century BC. Around the time that doctrinal theism began to occur. Seeing as your knowledge seems to come from wikipedia, try searching 'history of atheism'. Seriously man, you're embarrassing yourself, give it up

I used it, because Joe used it. If I was going to continue his quote, how fucking else am I suppose to carry it on? I've got no idea why you're even getting involved.

"The history of atheism, depending on how one defines the term, can be dated to as early as the 6th century BC, or as recently as the late 18th century AD. The word atheism itself was not coined until the 16th century.[2]

The earliest possible examples of atheism involve Eastern religions such as Jainism, Buddhism and Taoism, which do not include a deity. These date back to the 6th century BC, but there is some dispute over whether these religions can be classified as atheistic, in the sense of denying the existence of gods, as many other branches of these religions do incorporate deity worship."

Last post.

I used it, because Joe used it. If I was going to continue his quote, how fucking else am I suppose to carry it on? I've got no idea why you're even getting involved.

"The history of atheism, depending on how one defines the term, can be dated to as early as the 6th century BC, or as recently as the late 18th century AD. The word atheism itself was not coined until the 16th century.[2]

The earliest possible examples of atheism involve Eastern religions such as Jainism, Buddhism and Taoism, which do not include a deity. These date back to the 6th century BC, but there is some dispute over whether these religions can be classified as atheistic, in the sense of denying the existence of gods, as many other branches of these religions do incorporate deity worship."

Last post.
Heavy stuff

You could at least paste the entire quote.

"The term "atheism" originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshiped by the larger society"

"In Greek they said átheos and atheotēs; to these the English words ungodly and ungodliness correspond rather closely. In exactly the same way as ungodly, átheos was used as an expression of severe censure and moral condemnation; this use is an old one, and the oldest that can be traced. Not till later do we find it employed to denote a certain philosophical creed."

Yawn. Oh look, you're talking absolute bullshit. Nice one. Paste the entire quote in future, not just the bits that back you up.

The philosophy of Athiesm came about during the late 1700 and 1800's. You can google it all you like, you can quote what you like, but that's the fact of the situation.

"The first individuals to identify themselves using the word "atheist" lived in the 18th century.[12] Some ancient and modern religions are referred to as atheistic, as they either have no concepts of deities or deny a creator deity, yet still revere other god-like entities."

You missed out this bit:

Atheism was first used to describe a self-avowed belief in late 18th-century Europe, specifically denoting disbelief in the monotheistic Abrahamic god. In the 20th century, globalization contributed to the expansion of the term to refer to disbelief in all deities, though it remains common in Western society to describe atheism as simply "disbelief in God"

I see you've got the simple bit - the bit you understand, but the fact that atheism as a concept existed thousands of years before late 18th century Europe doesn't become less true because you choose to ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom