Good article on soccer in USA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Two things need to happen before MLS can break away from its cocoon and become the prettiest league in the world:
  1. Lose the Super Draft. .
  2. Get rid of the league's ownership of all players so clubs can buy and sell players on an open market.
We get raging boners over capitalism here in America, except for when it comes to sports. Then we regulate it to all hell with salary caps and drafts to impose parity.

Looking at football in england, and NFL in america.
I see the two at complete polar opposites.
this morning I watched the cowboys beat the lions in the cowboys stadium that looks fucking amazing, bright lights, the massive tv screen and loud music being blasted between every play.
Take the largest club and club stadium in england, man utd at old trafford for example.
When they win a champions league quarter final after the whistle you'll see the players celebrating with the fans, the fans chanting, the team song is played etc..
when the cowboys won their wildcard playoff I saw bright flashing lights, loud music, Romo when straight to a tv interview and Dez Bryant was walking straight back down the tunnel carrying on like a fuckwit and jumping around and pushing everyone in sight and then there was Jerry Jones walking into to the players locker room.

I don't doubt the fans passion for their NFL team, but for me it just looks like a pure money making industry and it's all about how can we have as much lights, music and make it look like a hollywood film as much as possible

don't want to get into the whole 'america vs___' thing, but you're fairly wrong on this. yes the big wig nfl execs are corrupt as shit, but there are nuances to being an american football fan that you might have never gotten the chance to see. I don't mean that in a condescending way at all, just that there's obviously far less exposure. there are huge subcultures within american football -- Pittsburgh's terrible towels and the lambeau leap and the dog pound... players that have attempted the latter two have literally been pushed out of the stands by opposing fans. american football is very much a way of life for many folks -- especially in the south. So, yes, in many ways the nfl distances itself from the fans via capitalism but in no way is that any fault of the players, nor is it indicative of some greater divide. Dez bryant once bought several people in a local dallas wal-mart ps4s. real story. The seattle seahawks registered seismic activity this past weekend... the players absolutely get involved in that kind of celebration. And, they also very much get involved in attacking the very same capitalistic corruptions of the sport that you pointed out:

give us a break here, man. we're all peons. if countries can't put a dent in our monetarily led military power/police state, how do you expect our people? sometimes sports is all a lot of us have.

Back
Top Bottom