Good on him.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have a couple of really good mates are gay. They always seem to be great craic.

Fair play for this fella for doing what he's done. No doubt some scummy people will now target him at football games, but it's just the ways of the world sadly.

I don’t understand why one feels the need to make his sex views public. 🤷‍♂️ Doubt anyone cares.

Yes, they do. As evidenced by the homophobic chanting which happens every single time a footballer is honest about their sexuality. If you actually read his interviews you'd realise that he felt the need to hide his sexuality for much of his life due to the stigma it still draws. Hopefully thanks to him being brave enough to come out, gay footballers in the future will feel less need to hide it.

As evidenced by the homophobic chanting which happens every single time a footballer is honest about their sexuality.
Aha, so you’d expect these chants to stop, just like racist chants stopped after BLM campaign... 🤔

Sorry mate, at the end of the day you’ll still have cavemen, regardless of how many gay players come out.

Aha, so you’d expect these chants to stop, just like racist chants stopped after BLM campaign... 🤔

Sorry mate, at the end of the day you’ll still have cavemen, regardless of how many gay players come out.

Racist chants have become less commonplace than they used to be. Progress is a long process of education and struggle, it doesn't happen overnight.

There are almost certainly football fans and/or players out there right now who have heard this news and may feel more comfortable about coming out. Representation is important, what this young man has done is very brave.

Massive respect to the lad, coming out must be an incredibly difficult thing to do anyway, but I expect it’s even harder in an environment like football. I hope he gets to live his life as he wishes and can focus on his football.

This may surprise you but women used to not have the right to vote. Interracial marriages were forbidden. Gay people were not allowed to marry. Gay sex itself was a criminal act. People fought for those things and now they have those rights, even though many people still don’t think they deserved them.

Thank god there are people who aren’t as apathetic as you and don’t accept a bigoted status quo. If you can turn a bigoted majority into a minority, that’s progress.

It shouldn't be headline news in this day and age, just shows how far behind the rest of the universe the football world is. Now the door has been opened, I hope that others will feel comfortable in being themselves.
Good luck on your career Jake, might see you at The Lane one of these days.

It shouldn't be headline news in this day and age, just shows how far behind the rest of the universe the football world is. Now the door has been opened, I hope that others will feel comfortable in being themselves.
Good luck on your career Jake, might see you at The Lane one of these days.
In fairness it shouldn't be headline news.

Like others have said, fair play to him, but at the end of the day it's one person coming out with news that the vast majority wouldn't care or even think about.

I suppose in this day and age where everyone lives their lives through someone else, it probably needed to be done.

This has fascinated me.

In an ideal world it wouldn't be a problem. But it's not an idea world and I worry he's shot himself in the foot with this. I hope he has a good career (that he earns) and that he doesn't have to face any prejudice or anything nasty.
The problem is, I think he will. I think he'll not only get abused by fans, I think he may face problems from present and future team mates.

I'm ashamed to say it, but if he was my son, I think I'd have tried to put him off making this public at 17.

Some are saying it's brave and mature to do it. But you could also argue it's reckless and immature. Has he thought about how he could be throwing a promising career away? It may have paid off to establish himself in the football world first and make this statement when he's a little older, a little wiser and, most importantly, fully aware of how this could pan out.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope he never has to suffer. I hope his family never have to listen to away fans singing vile unpleasant songs. I hope he never has a team mate that refuses to mix with him. I hope he never has to suffer.

I also hope his motive is genuine. To be a person paving the way for gay men in football and not to become some social media voice and end up becoming a footballing journeyman.

There is a bit of terminology missed, there are likely plenty of elite level players who are gay but very few who are out.

A good example would be Thomas Hitzlesburger the ex-villa player, he waited till after his career to come out. Chances are his team mates knew and so did the club, he just chose to wait till retirement.

Coming out at the start of your career, shouldn't have to be considered brave and I don't think that team squads will have a problem with it all.

Fan reaction is the worry, that being different will be weaponized against him, you have to hope that most football fans are above that.

Whichever way his career develops I hope it's down to his talent, skill and work ethnic, like any other player deserves.

Back
Top Bottom