Greatest ever foreign signing

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our Greatest Foreign Import

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You lot know nothing....

Paolo Tramezzani.

It's not even up for debate.

paolotramezzani_3.jpg
Wait, Tramezzani played for Spurs? He was the assistant coach of Gianni De Biasi when Albania qualified to the Euros, so he's a bit of a national hero here. The more you know...

Was he that shite as a player?

The reason the people who were around have voted for Ossie, is because he joined us after we had been promoted and we needed someone to put us back on the map, so to speak. He was a WC winner, and at the time, they were as rare as hens' teeth. He also was the perfect partner for the blossoming Hoddle. I don't think it can be overestimated how much Ossie's influence had on the success of that team.
He won a toilet ?

In the Sonny thread I asked if he was our greatest ever foreign signing. So here is its own thread.

Lets keep it British, so no Bale, Mackay, Blanchflower etc. Factors include ability, loyalty, and impact on the club.

My vote is Sonny, with Ardiles close second. Rafa, Ginola and Berba all close but not here long enough in my opinion.
I hope you realise that your embargo on players from N Ireland has prevented me from being a clever dick and nominating Danny Blanchflower.

Happy with yourself?

So far a very interesting Sonny/Ardiles face-off, which is probably dictated by age demographics. I saw one of Ardiles last games but was too young (and obsessed with Hoddle) to have a strong opinion. Gonna go to the wire!

Different players but always strangely linked in my opinion. Initial struggle to adapt to British football. Even the falklands/national service thing. If we ever have another Chas n' Dave, then Sonny would get the cameo line in the song.

Last edited:
Love Son to bits but he’s not at the level of Ossie in terms of the meaningful impact on the club, and not at the level of Hugo for me. Great, great player, though.

A lot of those mentioned gave us a boost and some entertainment for a while. Ossie, Sonny and Hugo are probably the ones who can claim any kind of longer term legacy.

Berbs and Modric I reckon were the most talented.

SuperPav was the scorer of the best goals, crazy volleys, either foot. Hardly ever saw him miss a chance.
I've always had a soft spot for Pav, and I always thought Harry didn't give him enough playing time or trust for him to prove himself more capable (he played, but it was sporadic). I was at our last match in 2010-11, when he came on after an injury to Crouch, and scored 2 belters (the last one in the last minute of stoppage time) to help us beat Birmingham 2-1 and clinch our spot in Europe (we would have qualified even if we lost due to other results, but we didn't know that going in). I took a friend to the match with me who had no interest in football (he's English, I'm American), and he's a Spurs fan to this day because of that match.

Back
Top Bottom