Greatest ever foreign signing

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our Greatest Foreign Import

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What a day that was. One of the biggest away followings I have ever seen. 8k in the ground and thousands of Yids locked out..

Happy days.
Yes. I remember we were crammed into the terracing by the Trent end,. Then just before kick-off, for some reason, the old bill decided to herd a few hundred more Spurs fans down the pitch and told them to get in where we were. I'll always remember the Trent end (Forest) started chanting 'come in here, come in here...'. not a wise move, they all turned towards it and if hadn't been for frantic action by old bill, they would have. Can't believe it's 43 years ago.

Yes. I remember we were crammed into the terracing by the Trent end,. Then just before kick-off, for some reason, the old bill decided to herd a few hundred more Spurs fans down the pitch and told them to get in where we were. I'll always remember the Trent end (Forest) started chanting 'come in here, come in here...'. not a wise move, they all turned towards it and if hadn't been for frantic action by old bill, they would have. Can't believe it's 43 years ago.

I was one of those that walked down the pitch from the over cramped away end into a block they opened next to the home end.

When i got to the half way line a Forest fan came onto the pitch and threw a haymaker at me which missed and then i tried to boot him and missed. Two air shots and then he went back to where he came from and carried on to the Spurs block as if nothing had happened. Very funny in hindsight.

Didn't get much better as an away fan than 77-78 and 78-79 seasons.

I didn't know whether to vote Vertonhen or Jan Vertonghen...

So I decided to vote Ndombele and he wasn't even on the damn list!!!

Ya...Boo...Hiss!!! :nunoout:

EDIT: No Sissoko on the list either.... This shit is rigged!!!

Last edited:
He's not the greatest ever foreign signing, but if some of these other players deserve a place on the list then I think there needs to be a place for Noureddine Naybet, for the impact he had on the players around him at the time when the club was just starting to transition from the absolute shambles of the 90s to challenging for the top 4 on a regular basis

Last edited:
In terms of influence, has to be Ardiles. He brought new playing style to not just our club, but to English football. And for the sheer number of years of service to the club. And of course, managed the club as well.

In terms of personal favourite, Ginola. We were incredibly mediocre, a nothing team. Ginola, Les Ferdinand and Dominquez joined that summer. Then the tactic was simple, just pass to Ginola. Was even named PFA Player of the Year!

Then Berbatov. Such style, finesse

And Son of course.

1. Ardiles
2. Ginola
3. Berbatov
4. Son
5. Klinsmann

He's not the greatest ever foreign signing, but if some of these other players deserve a place on the list then I think there needs to be a place for Noureddine Naybet, for the impact he had on the players around him at the time when the club was just starting to transition from the absolute shambles of the 90s to challenging for the top 4 on a regular basis

I like this shout..... Sometimes the deeper impact of a signing is extremely important.

Palacios was an awesome signing and added exactly what we needed at the time...... Sadly life conspired against him in the follow up seasons and it didn't last.

Back
Top Bottom